Our Lowest Draft Pick should be Pick 8

Remove this Banner Ad

As I read through the thread I find myself increasingly frustrated.

Firstly, the year we're rubbish is the year of the compromised draft robbing us of a top shelf player that most other teams have had the luxury to draft with an early pick from a rubbish year.

Then Secondly, that the trade talk has started before we've played our round 9 match...... how bad are we going......

I think we should go for the best available talent no matter what his height is. If Sam Day is available or Lycett and Solley are available we should grab them unless there is a standout small forward or midfielder is available.

Still don't understand the obsession with trading for yet another ruckman, but I think you're on the right track with the idea of trading for Gibbs and Griffen - and the price that we'd have to pay in order to get them.

We need a quality ruck man to help Ivan Maric out because Moran can't get his body right and Griffin isn't up to it at the AFL level.:thumbsu:
Even though I would love to see Gibbs and Griffen in our team next year I agree with you that the price would be to high for either player unless Scott'y T moves to GC17 or wants to be tradedthen we could off load a high draft pick and a player for one of those two players . If not our club should wait until free agency comes into affect.:D

We need a quality ruck man to help Ivan Maric out because Moran can't get his body right and Griffin isn't up to it at the AFL level.:thumbsu:
Even though I would love to see Gibbs and Griffen in our team next year I agree with you that the price would be to high for either player unless Scott'y T moves to GC17 or wants to be tradedthen we could off load a high draft pick and a player for one of those two players . If not our club should wait until free agency comes into affect.:D

We can't wait until free agency comes in. The next three years there are going to be more plays on ready made players from other teams as the pool of younger talent drys up thanks to the Gold Coast and Western Sydney. Dont think other clubs are going...hey the Crows are going shite maybe some of their players want to jump ship. (I hope not the case), but for us to just sit on our hands like we did last year again this year is dumb. Unless we want to stay 16-12th for another season. We''ll have the cash and the picks, chase SA boys, chase 2nd tier from top Vic teams in the 23 - 26 age bracket cause by this time next year we will be one of the youngest lists in the land if we don't start looking to 2011 now.

Lets say we do get pick 6 I just hope we don't use it on a small forward, ruckman, kpp or a HFF/HB type who we think we can turn into a midfielder. If he hasn't played the majority of his junior career as a midfielder give him a wide berth.

If you think it's going to be 2-3 years at least before we're a contender (like I do), then we should trade away quality senior players who will be past their best in 2-3 years, for young players or draft picks.

Our likely trading partner would be a team which is currently (or expects to be) a contender looking to fill a gap in their line-up.

The obvious ones would be Bock (27), Rutten (26), Johncock (27), and of course Thompson (27).

Bulldogs and Hawks might be interested.

If we lose Macca, Burton, Edwards, Goodwin and Doughty and we traded away the players you have listed than expect at least 2-3 years hovering around the bottom 6. However, if, like me, you don't think we are a genuine chance in the next few years than maybe its a good strategy. You have to give something good to get something good in return, unless of course if you are trading with Adelaide.:(

Unfortunately, I don't see any quick fixes at the AFC so your strategy may be the best option if we are truly here to win premierships as opposed to just making the 8.

I tried to hold it in but I just can't anymore.

WTF is up with everyone wanting to trade Talia.
The kid has tallent, he reminds me very much of Otto.
He has real skill, yes he likes a spray tan, but he can find the ball, give him a year or so, and we will see what he is really capable of.

Don't worry about it .......this board universally sealed Armstrongs fate for delisting because he was playing SANFL reserves .......now the same ones are up in arms because he's not being played in the Crows team

Opinions on players sway with the breeze .......Talia is doing OK playing SANFL as a KPP in his first year on the back of a limited PS

Next season will give a bit better indication ....but reality is we'll have to wait 3 years at least

Still don't understand the obsession with trading for yet another ruckman, but I think you're on the right track with the idea of trading for Gibbs and Griffen - and the price that we'd have to pay in order to get them.

Both are negotiating with their clubs AP and will be staying with Carlton and Bulldogs respectively

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tried to hold it in but I just can't anymore.

WTF is up with everyone wanting to trade Talia.
The kid has tallent, he reminds me very much of Otto.

if the best you can say about talia is that he reminds of you of a promising but not untouchable prospect then its not a compelling case.

Bock should not be traded, he runs our backline, for god sakes he is a AA CHB.

So he was an AA CHB once, does that make him untouchable?

the reason we shouldn't trade Bock these days is I am not sure we'd get that much for him. probably not enough to make it worthwhile.

Talia + Pick 6/8 for Gibbs - i believe is over the odds.
Talia + PP for Gibbs is fair.

Just think of it this way, would you swap Otto with talia in that trade, NO, then trading Talia is not fair value. Maybe I overrate the Kid, but honestly I can see talent all over him.

in a freaking heartbeat.

if Carlton would take talia + otten + a pick I'd be beating down their door, let alone just one of them.

We can't wait until free agency comes in. The next three years there are going to be more plays on ready made players from other teams as the pool of younger talent drys up thanks to the Gold Coast and Western Sydney.

incidentally I think you're completely off about this.

FA means that very, very few premium players will want to move in the interim period. its whats really ****ing with the gold coast.

if a prime time player leaves, he loses his FA eligibility - when he'll get the real bucks.

its the mid range, role players who will be screwed by the new system so they'll be the ones most keen on protecting their interests i.e. moving if an opportunity comes.

If he does want to come back I'm not sure I would pay much more than pick 6 or 8.......maybe throw in Reilly as a sweetener and our 3rd rounder.
I wouldn't want to offer more than that 6-8 pick either. If he 'wants' out the value goes down to that early first and a sweetener (not much of one).

We'd get a very nice player with 6-8, so we'd make sure we get a very nice one for that pic, should we have that pic.

Like Angwin or Meesen? :p
Below the belt ban? :D

I think our Rendell first round drafting has been much better than Fnatasia's. No crack at James, because he found a lot after the first round, but boy we had some first round woes as a club.

But on the topic, we'd find a lovely mid at 6 or 8. Harley Bennell could slide, Luke Parker, Dion Prestia Andrew Gaff.... plenty of talent, which should become clearer in the next two months as the champs are played.

Below the belt ban? :D

yeah, probably not fair. my bad :p

I think our Rendell first round drafting has been much better than Fnatasia's. No crack at James, because he found a lot after the first round, but boy we had some first round woes as a club.

and yet we didn't draft anyone in the first round who wasn't expected to go there i.e. we didn't overdraft anyone.

Davis & Talia need to do a bit more before we start giving Rendell the first round keys to the city.

Remove this Banner Ad

Our Lowest Draft Pick should be Pick 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Back