List Mgmt. Player List Management 2020-21

Remove this Banner Ad

There’s always a club willing to pay overs for a ready to go ruckman, so it’s an obvious way to earn some extra draft capital.
Raman - What are we talking here.
A first rounder.
Unless it’s a sillly offer I wouldn’t trade him.
Just to clarify by a silly offer I mean a top ten pick.

Raman - What are we talking here.
A first rounder.
Unless it’s a sillly offer I wouldn’t trade him.
Just to clarify by a silly offer I mean a top ten pick.

We're talking about Pete Ladhams.

If Ladhams is traded out it is 100% for off field stuff (that they think will eventually impact on field stuff).

Our list management team have gotten it right every time on the players they have let go so I'd be willing to back them in.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m not doubting you but I just don’t understand why we’d do that.
We have 3 rucks, all 3 could very likely be first 22 players in 2022 and their contracts are coming up in 2022 and 2023.

There’s certainly a chance we try to keep all 3 but also we would be stupid not to be looking at trading one if the right offer came along.
Lycett on the free agency contract isn’t going anywhere and hayes hasn’t had a chance to build up a valid trade price yet.

I've noticed a narrative that Lycett at 28 is finished but Clurey at 27 has a bright future.
I don’t necessarily agree with all the lycett is nearly done calls but a 100+ kg ruck who is building up mileage on his knees and has had a tonne of little niggles pop up over the last 2 seasons will certainly have a physical use by date approaching. Clurey has been very durable, is a much lighter player, and does not remotely rely on fitness / jumping / speed in the way that he plays.

The thing for me is that every team in the league would love to have the issue of 3 genuine rucks however you have to be extremely careful you don’t forfeit your biggest advantage by being worried about one leaving. Hayes has already done one knee so what if we trade out Ladham only for Lycett to slow down and Hayes to do another knee. Jacobs at Adelaide showed how quickly the end can come, Lycett cops a knee injury and all of a sudden if we’ve traded Ladhams we’re left with an untried Hayes. We 100% keep all 3 until next year when we’ll know more about all 3. What if Hayes gets a few games and clearly isn’t up to it yet? O’Brien debuted for two games two years before he took over the ruck role in 2019. Hayes could get a few games next year with another preseason under his belt when Lycett needs a rest but still be a couple more years from being a regular in the team perfect for when Lycett is 30-31 in which case Lycett could become our Mumford (In case of emergency). Ladhams is the perfect age to kick on and be a great ruck/forward. We seem like we have a heap of talls by Dixon and Lycett go down and Ladhams is traded, we in big trouble. Ladham can cover Dixon & Lycett but also fit in to play most weeks. I’d trade Dixon well before Ladham IMO

New player list rules just announced by the AFL that will affect decisions post September
  • List sizes stay the same.
  • Rookies can spend a fourth year on the Cat A/Cat B rookie lists in 2022 due to the pandemic effectively robbing them of a year of development in 2020.
  • A player who is contracted for 2022 can be moved from the senior list to the rookie list after the national draft, but before the rookie draft.

The free agency period will run from October 1-8, with the trade period starting on Monday, October 4 to Wednesday, October 13. The draft will again be staged over two nights, with the League planning for the first round to be conducted on Wednesday, November 24 and the rest of the national draft on Thursday, November 25.

The rookie and pre-season drafts are being slated for Friday, November 26.

New player list rules just announced by the AFL that will affect decisions post September
  • List sizes stay the same.
  • Rookies can spend a fourth year on the Cat A/Cat B rookie lists in 2022 due to the pandemic effectively robbing them of a year of development in 2020.
  • A player who is contracted for 2022 can be moved from the senior list to the rookie list after the national draft, but before the rookie draft.

The free agency period will run from October 1-8, with the trade period starting on Monday, October 4 to Wednesday, October 13. The draft will again be staged over two nights, with the League planning for the first round to be conducted on Wednesday, November 24 and the rest of the national draft on Thursday, November 25.

The rookie and pre-season drafts are being slated for Friday, November 26.
Essentially this opens up an extra list spot for us as it allows Frederick to stay on the Category B rookie list and not be moved to the main list (or let go).

Essentially this opens up an extra list spot for us as it allows Frederick to stay on the Category B rookie list and not be moved to the main list (or let go).
I'd keep him on the rookie list but not give him an upgrade. I've seen enough to say he probably wont be good enough to get close to 50, let alone past 50 AFL games. But hopefully 2022 means a proper post covid season so having a look at him for 1 more year wont hurt. Doubt there would be any real interest in him for a trade.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Player List Management 2020-21

Remove this Banner Ad

Back