Autopsy Port Downs Cats by 38

Remove this Banner Ad

Well, the good news is this was an expected loss, and with that we could still finish 7th or so.

The bad news is we were so badly beaten in the midfield that it’s hard to imagine how the season can be salvaged.

Which One Thumbs Up GIF by Originals
2 words.

Reece forking Stanley! That and continuity. Was always going to be pushing shit up a hill over there with so much flux. Looked good for awhile, but when we were gassed they knew it and ran away with it. There were a couple periods in the 2nd half to be pleased about. But ultimately we lost the game in 2x5 minute periods where couldn't win a single possession.

I don't know if we're good enough to win it all this year, but I do know this. (Barring further injury) Next time we play port they will not get the game on their terms the way they did tonight.

We won't be a force again until we draft - yes draft - a couple of mids who fairly quickly get to the stage where they're getting the best part of 30 touches most weeks. All our better accumulators are the wrong side of 30 yo.

Yes I like both Bruhn and Knevitt but the search must continue.

Yes I know disposals aren't the whole story but getting the ball is still the number 1 skill in AFL.

Getting Parish is 1000 to 1. Robertson, Dow, the Lions kid who used to be a Falcon with Parish - none of these are the answer.

Votes thread worst 5 would be interesting for last night's game. Cameron would be a chance for the 5 votes. 10 disposals at 30% efficiency, zero tackles. And 175m gained, that's garden gnome territory for him. He's probably injured because he couldn't play like that if he were fit.

Last edited:
Fair enough. That spoil was the moment I hoped Jed’s spot would stop being doubted - he’s a limited player, but I think people forget a few years last decade when we just accepted small forwards would get off the chain against us.

Also think he’s one of very few, with Selwood’s departure, who I trust never to drop his head - onfield leadership is once again at a premium, and Danger and Stewart can both go into their shells when things aren’t going their way.
Added to which he always tries to head forward - he doesn't do the scalloping handballs that have been our getout for 15 years but turns and runs hard. Very, very under-rated.

Concerned that we brought in three underdone mids against the hottest team in the comp, and yeah that was pretty much it.

We were outworked after quarter time and really didn’t look like it, the ruck/midfield is where it started and where it ended, you can’t win games of footy when you can’t get possession through the middle of the ground. The defenders struggled due to the enormity of repeat entries and our forwards were starved of opportunities.

Reality is we are a mile off it this year, with the Dee’s up next it might be time to give a few guys who’ve done plenty of work a few weeks off and try some kids. Was hoping we’d turn the ship around but form/injuries just hasn’t fallen into place this season.
No the mids were not underdone according to Scott pre game.. they were ready to play and ready to play well according to Scott!

Always very hard to win over there and they’ve done that to us in a couple of finals. Even last year they played probably the most dominant quarter any opponent did against us all season.

Bruhn started really well and then had no impact after getting injured (and subbed not long after), Danger was hobbling after that big hit. Our midfield was already extremely thin heading into the season and we simply can’t cope with injuries and a lack of continuity in there.

I hope Ceglar’s injury was legitimate as Blicavs v Lycett was a huge factor in Port getting on top. Blicavs has always played better against the athletic rucks, Lycett is old school and simply too strong for us. Can’t wait to see Stanley back in next week.

J Cameron was really disappointing, Stengle and Close started well but faded. Rohan again proving his importance, our BOG on the night.
Thought Rohan was extraordinary in the first quarter - those marks were just electrifying. But over the whole game, I'd have Guthrie ahead of him.

Midfield was beaten especially after Dangerfield and Bruhn were hurt, but the backline really does offer little to no resistance, it's been one of the hallmarks of the past 6-8 weeks. I get the midfield losing has an impact, but they're still allowed to actually defend from time to time.

I was thinking this too - at what point does the club put the cue in the rack, send players to have surgery and blood even more youth
Cue in the rack??? Well we are playing Melbourne next week. Remember last H & A game of 21??? Lead by 45+ and had top spot rapped up and a ‘home’ final then we apparently put the cue in the rack and let Melbourne win, so we went off to Port for the QF and the rest is history as they say…
Cue in the rack theory ay…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could name 5 tackles that were actually something to talk about but because it’s Patrick it’s news
Exactly-and it’s actually really mischievous of fox to do that. The sling tackle situation is so fraught already, so to even raise such a ludicrous example to inflame things is irresponsible. What a shock hey!

Added to which he always tries to head forward - he doesn't do the scalloping handballs that have been our getout for 15 years but turns and runs hard. Very, very under-rated.
Bews last night, 6 disposals, 2 tackles, 37m gained! Bews plays his role but I wouldn't be using last night to talk up his importance to the team.

Went to bed at half time like the downhill skier I am. The score at that point probably flattered us given their inaccuracy but we were definitely competitive. Clearly Dangerfield and Bruhn getting hurt was the turning point, we just do not have the midfield depth to make up for those losses, particularly against a team that bats as deep as Port. I do wonder if the silver lining here is that they will have to start thinking about some longer-term solutions - clearly Holmes going into the middle is one (and he looked really good first half), maybe giving Bowes an extended stint on the ball is another.

Wow, that was baaaad.

How many times did they have spare men inside their forward 50? Our structure was in complete disarray.
Yes Montagna had mentioned it during the week that Geelong concede too many inside 50 marks and score % against when inside 50 is poor too…

I have no idea why we continue to disregard the value of a ruckman to the point we don’t even bother playing one? That’s why we didn’t get a touch for periods because we got smashed in the ruck! We play Melbourne next week who have the 2 best rucks in the league if we don’t play one, or even two we will be obliterated!!!!

Also give Cameron a run in the twos he is seriously not even trying..

Panic Stations, Re bombing into the forward 50...again, playing straight into Port's designs. Why do the Coaches never say, 'well this isn't working, for this quarter, chip it to smith, duncan or holmes on the 50 and let them ping at goal from there.'

I think what Scott said in the presser played out last night. We just give away easy scores this year when the ball goes into or D50. I guess no having the ability to break even at least in the middle over the last 5 weeks has exposed or defense. Sdk poor guy has lost his confidence and been literally belted this year. Bews has struggled and Henry missed a bit plus has been thrown around a lot.

With the Ruck Blics tries his guts out and will always do but he couldn’t match Lycett. We need Rhys and looking at his absence and the role he played last year he is crucial.

Been a long time since we have been in this position. Feels very 2015/18. These guys are proud and they will fight hard but it’s a long way back.

Last night midfield battle
Hit outs
Lycett 35 Blicavs 16
Possessions
Lycett 9 Blicavs 13
Wines 28 Holmes 24
Rozee 25 Dangerfield 15
Butters 23 Bruhn 12
Horne-F 13 Atkins 12

Atkins nullified Horne-Francis.
DF and Bruhn injuries hurt us badly.
Blicavs smashed in the ruck and too buggered to do much else.

Ceglar out hurt us most of all.

If Blicavs rucks alone against Gawn and Grundy next Thursday then it will get ugly.

One of the very few bright spots on the night. Reminiscent of his solo effort in holding the fort down back in the '21 PF. He really has come a very long way as a footballer, and clearly still has improvement in him.
Zach had a much better 2022 no doubt but regresses this year along with most of the team, book mark this you won't win many games where Zach is your best on ground.

Our midfielders are cursed this year. Can't see either bring right for next week with those.

Think it was 2021 when C. Guthrie hurt his AC joint - originally came back on but couldn't lift his arm, they gave him every chance to play the next week but was a late withdrawl. He missed 3 rounds which included our bye in the middle of that

Panic Stations, Re bombing into the forward 50...again, playing straight into Port's designs. Why do the Coaches never say, 'well this isn't working, for this quarter, chip it to smith, duncan or holmes on the 50 and let them ping at goal from there.'
Particularly when Power did the opposite after Q1. Seeing Narkle patiently deliver the ball into their forward 50 was painful to watch.

I thought Scott's analysis of the game was fair. He acknowledged Power is an in-form and very talented team. Arguably the current form team.

Injuries to Dangerfield and Bruhn, and not having a genuine ruckman hurt us big time. Lycett just got better and more confident and Power dominated centre clearances after 1Q.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Port Downs Cats by 38

Remove this Banner Ad

Back