Autopsy Positives & Negatives: Review vs Fremantle round 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Partly feel relieved that it’s pretty much all over now. Gets tiring being disappointed week after week. Very little positive moments this season. Unfortunately will go into next season with pretty low expectations.

Nothing really to hope for, just like a beer straight out of the box.
Lukewarm, not really appetizing, mildly disappointing and should be good but it's not.

Get in the bin you absolute bunch of wasters.

I'd say the humiliation of 2021 is complete, but this has been building since 2019. We've merely disintegrated further from simply mediocre to terrible.

Big changes needed. I doubt any will happen.
We signed Simmo before the new rule came into effect so we'll have to pay him out three more years if we get rid of him instead of just the 1. What a club.

Positives:

* Club now has to admit that whatever the plan was in 2021 didnt work, and will need to change it
* Simmo will be forced to make changes to the gameplan now. You can argue "luck" when percentage is what makes you miss finals/ top 4, but missing finals when the season is yet to wrap up wont be looked upon kindly by the board
* Cleanout coming up. Expect a few of the older boys to hang up the boots in the offseason.

Negatives:

* Probably looking at at least one more sh*tful season next year as we start our transition. So long as we see some improvement in tactics and the youngsters it wont be a complete waste of time though
We will look like a much better team when we are fit (not talking about injuries, they don't help, but we are clearly unfit and once again today showed late when we had momentum we lacked fitness).

Hopefully TK is OK (for preseason). Thankfully (I guess) the year we are finally forced to take a 1st rounder we'll have our highest in a while.

We showed again that we CAN dial up the pressure, it is just the picking and choosing when to that is killing us (still, after 3 years).

Even without JK (if he chooses to retire) our fwd line is so dangerous (and add Willie). If 2022 isn't the year of move it fast at all costs for wc then lessons have not been learnt.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

We signed Simmo before the new rule came into effect so we'll have to pay him out three more years if we get rid of him instead of just the 1. What a club.

Coaching pay-outs no longer work that way mate.

Can someone tell me other than Redden and Yeo and NN who can tackle consistently?

Basic football and we've had this issue since 2019: when will it change? Honestly, I used to smash people full on back in the day, I could do a way better job than their coach - I'd put money on that.

Positives
-Cole was really good and tried to provide backline drive
-Witherdens kicks didn't always come off but he at least took the game on
-Shuey after a quiet start worked his way into the game
-Naitanui was immense in the middle

Negatives
-Vardy is a waste of a list space
-Midfield is too unbalanced, need a Hutchings/Stenglein type in there who will sacrifice their game for others
-Redden defensively had an absolute 'mare

Streak couldn’t last forever. Yet again our worst 10 minutes of footy undoes anything else we can do in the remaining 70.

Could have won. Probably should have, despite gifting a 40 point head start. A goal from out of bounds here, an easy set shot clanged into the post there, but ultimately we left ourselves too much to do. As always, our worst footy is game losing calibre.

Positives:
• Liked Cole and Nelson, liked Cripps and Langdon - a weird quartet to stand up and offer us plenty in both directions, but glad they did.
• JK still goes alright
• Nic’s a beast, doing it all himself in the middle yet again
• Always look better when we go fast and direct
• One week closer to a big reset in the offseason

Negatives:
• Never go fast and direct until we have a big deficit. Infuriating.
• Lack of midfield pressure for a quarter lost us the game.

• Our worst is so so bad and has hamstrung any chance of winning consistently. We’re very good for a quarter, up for the fight for a half, but the quarter that we roll over we roll all the way over and cost ourselves wins. Melbourne, Dogs, Saints, North, Essendon.

Won’t make finals, rightfully so with what they’ve served up. Robert Harvey and other big shakeups into the coaching group, Cole to a wing, Ryan as the deepest forward, Allen as a permanent forward, Vardy never again. Big changes needed.

The streak is over but it was properly funny, I guess we’ll always have that. Sign me up for the worst day as an Eagles fan over the best day as a Freo fan. Onto Round 23 then the offseason.

You make me laugh. There is nothing positive about this game. we got beaten by a term missing lobe, Fyfe, Brayshaw, Walters in Perth. You are one delusional fan to somehow look at the glass half full. NIc nat was also just average, relax with overhyping him. Darcy held his own very well against him. He looks overweight anyway.

Unmotivated first quarter - this is 100% the players.
Very poor skills for the last three quarters.
A list that includes a few who are not up to AFL standard.
When simmo arrived he said our problem is the midfield - only kelly has been added. Shuet=y is an unfit A grade - the thers B and C grade.
Forwards have been badly beaten fo most of the season. No movement most of the time and no pressure. JK is now over the hill - time to move on and develop Allen.
The WAFL has absolutely nothing to help.
Coach ok - assistants are justr boot studders with a different role. Clearly we are not fit, many players carrying belly fat and it is the end of the season. Poor staff an unprofessional players. Move them on.
The club focuses on everythingunder the sun - just focus on winning footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Until our bloody ruckman can extract the digit and play a decent game time thats going to happen… he actually is an anchor regardless of what good he does.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Vardy actually had a red hot go. He just doesn’t take any marks and that makes him a liability as he doesn’t do a hell of a lot in the ruck either. It seems he just isn’t up to it any more

Goes to show we still really need Guys like Hurn, Kennedy, Nicnat, Shuey and Redden. You take those away and we are a worse side than 2008 or 2010 imo.
Feel like we gotta rip the bandaid off now and see most of them off in the offseason. Hurn's a great but has def lost a step, Kennedy is awesome but we keep looking to him as the primary forward (even when better options present) but he cant take the big grabs reliably anymore, Shuey is broken down more often than not, and we need to start a succession plan for NicNat from 2022.

You make me laugh. There is nothing positive about this game. we got beaten by a term missing lobe, Fyfe, Brayshaw, Walters in Perth. You are one delusional fan to somehow look at the glass half full. NIc nat was also just average, relax with overhyping him. Darcy held his own very well against him. He looks overweight anyway.

Not everyone is a sad sack like yourself, chill Winston.

You still need to look for positives in bad situations, otherwise you end up a misery guts with no hope

Last edited:
Streak couldn’t last forever. Yet again our worst 10 minutes of footy undoes anything else we can do in the remaining 70.

Could have won. Probably should have, despite gifting a 40 point head start. A goal from out of bounds here, an easy set shot clanged into the post there, but ultimately we left ourselves too much to do. As always, our worst footy is game losing calibre.

Positives:
• Liked Cole and Nelson, liked Cripps and Langdon - a weird quartet to stand up and offer us plenty in both directions, but glad they did.
• JK still goes alright
• Nic’s a beast, doing it all himself in the middle yet again
• Always look better when we go fast and direct
• One week closer to a big reset in the offseason

Negatives:
• Never go fast and direct until we have a big deficit. Infuriating.
• Lack of midfield pressure for a quarter lost us the game.

• Our worst is so so bad and has hamstrung any chance of winning consistently. We’re very good for a quarter, up for the fight for a half, but the quarter that we roll over we roll all the way over and cost ourselves wins. Melbourne, Dogs, Saints, North, Essendon.

Won’t make finals, rightfully so with what they’ve served up. Robert Harvey and other big shakeups into the coaching group, Cole to a wing, Ryan as the deepest forward, Allen as a permanent forward, Vardy never again. Big changes needed.

The streak is over but it was properly funny, I guess we’ll always have that. Sign me up for the worst day as an Eagles fan over the best day as a Freo fan. Onto Round 23 then the offseason.

What streak are you referring to exactly ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Settle down Nima.

Nothing delusional about saying we were so shocking for our worst stretch that it cost us the game.

Nothing delusional about saying we will rightfully miss finals and need a huge overhaul on the way.

Nothing delusional about saying it’s infuriating that we don’t attack faster until we’re down.

If you want me to apologise for still enjoying watching JK go at it, or liking the games of Cole etc, you’ll be waiting a while. Bad loss. Bad season. Doesn’t mean there’s absolutely zero joy in any moments of it and I have to sit in the dark bawling my eyes out.

Nothing delusional about saying we were so shocking for our worst stretch that it cost us the game.

Nothing delusional about saying we will rightfully miss finals and need a huge overhaul on the way.

Nothing delusional about saying it’s infuriating that we don’t attack faster until we’re down.

If you want me to apologise for still enjoying watching JK go at it, or liking the games of Cole etc, you’ll be waiting a while. Bad loss. Bad season. Doesn’t mean there’s absolutely zero joy in any moments of it and I have to sit in the dark bawling my eyes out.
delusional to say every game NN is great and has nothing to do with our losses. that is delusional specially for the fact how much you hype him up like we should win half our games with u 16 players if we have in on the side. That is delusional buddy. wake up.

Glad it's all over..was inevitable really.
Sums up the whole season.
Now can look forward to a shake up, whatever is going to happen in the offseason,
and it better be convincing.
End of a cycle, should've got more from this team.
Re-set, re-build, re-enter.
Freo have won their GF, will probably lose next week, as will Ewwgles?

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Positives & Negatives: Review vs Fremantle round 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Back