Remove this Banner Ad

ziad

Brownlow Medallist
May 2, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Ok, This is tough.

I sat at the SCG, struggled through the post game function and have watched the game again to review my initial thoughts.

Surely the sky isnt falling in. Some positives are:
  • We played poorly but at times cut out the Swans run of HB which is no mean feat on the SCG
  • Up until junck time we were in it on the score board even though being clearly outplayed. There is some grit somewhere in the team.
  • Kennedy did kick 3 - on the tally board he is almost the highest places young KP foward and is getting little help.
  • Our defence now spoils very well.
  • We did control Goodes - he looked better on the replay but only scored in junck time. In the previous 3 games against us he picked up 8 B'low votes.
  • Hamm is a footballer and will add value to our attack
  • No major injuries
  • Coaches responeded after the game closing the doors for a major chat. Players were sheepish after this - nothing is being accepted.
    Some would say we didnt get the best rub from the umpires but didnt lose discipline.
Surely there must be more....

Stevenson? Looked far from our worst defender, and given it was his first hit out thought he showed a bit. Looking forward to seeing what he can do at Subi with the open spaces.

Schofield as well, a couple of glaring errors, however could develop as an attacking third tall. He broke lines which is more than I can say for the rest of the side.

Hams will be handy up forward.

yep..Hams is a breath of fresh air..like an ol fashioned footballer, has skills,takes chances,seems to make the right decisions most of the time,can drill a pill and hit up a teamster on the chest..makes (most) of the team look like clockwork robots?

other positives..everyone got a postgame bollocking, including the coach it seems! :thumbsu:...beau waters looks good in defence-3 reliable kicks coming out in glass, hurn and waters..schofield doesnt seem to have "Flake" stamped on his forehead(unless its in invisible ink?)..is looking dependable...with kerr out and priddis getting #1 tag,maybe we get to see sheppard,or stevens etc come in ..
(did i see patches in the last qtr where eagles just standing with hands on hips watching play go on around them- the positives are that theyll be that bit more fresher this week by saving their energy!?

other positives - they will definitely stand up for the freo game,and be switched on,hopefully make the right decisions and not just keep banging their heads against the wall..they may not win,but hopefully wont rollover and pee on themselves..if they are humiliated again by freo..its a positive as it will really demand changes..
if they win???? - well that takes care of itself..either way theyll be flat for hawthorn next week youd think...(ok, thats a little bit negative)

Stevenson? Looked far from our worst defender, and given it was his first hit out thought he showed a bit. Looking forward to seeing what he can do at Subi with the open spaces.

Schofield as well, a couple of glaring errors, however could develop as an attacking third tall. He broke lines which is more than I can say for the rest of the side.

Hams will be handy up forward.

yep agree all three.

Stevenson's disposal was excellent and he is the right size.

I can remember hus getting thrashed by more on the SCG around the time of 05, 06. It is a tough gig.

Sadly, not true -

2005 we went down 13.10.88 to 9.13.67
2003 we went down 13.14.92 to 12.12.84

Neither what you would call catastrophic losses. The last bad one was back in the Judge era:

2001 we went down 11.17.83 to 6.12.48

So sadly, we can't hang our hats on this not being as bad as it was. :(

It is tough though - out of 14 attempts we have won only 3 times. Which means we're doing quite well to be down only 19 to 22 in the overall record. Is that a positive? :eek:

Actually, looking through the list of Sydney vs. Eagles games at the SCG, only two were worse than last weekend:

Round 17 2000 - 22.19.151 to 12.8.80 = a 71 point loss
Round 16 or 17 1987 (the stats site can't make up it's mind, and I was about 8 at the time, so I have no memory of this) - 30.21.201 to 10.11.71 = a whopping 130 point loss! :eek: Glad I don't remember that one...

Schofield did admirablty on Goodes.

Spanger ruined all Schofields good work ;)

that frustrated the hell out of me, so i can't begin to think what schofiled felt. nothing like doing a decent job on your oppenent, then seeing someone else **** it up for you.

the sooner we leave spangher where he belongs the better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NicNat can slot it through he middle from outside 50m! :eek:

He appears to be a terrific set shot for goal - not sure i've seen him miss one all year, including the pre-season - and all from 35m+.

Thought Schofield was really the biggest shining light - in a team that was getting pantsed through the midfield - to keep Goodes on a leash was a great effort.

Concerned he's a little undersized for the likes of Brown and Riewoldt - but at the moment he's doing a great job. Then again Hunter was never big and got the job done.

Sadly, not true -

2005 we went down 13.10.88 to 9.13.67
2003 we went down 13.14.92 to 12.12.84

Neither what you would call catastrophic losses. The last bad one was back in the Judge era:

2001 we went down 11.17.83 to 6.12.48

So sadly, we can't hang our hats on this not being as bad as it was. :(

It is tough though - out of 14 attempts we have won only 3 times. Which means we're doing quite well to be down only 19 to 22 in the overall record. Is that a positive? :eek:

Actually, looking through the list of Sydney vs. Eagles games at the SCG, only two were worse than last weekend:

Round 17 2000 - 22.19.151 to 12.8.80 = a 71 point loss
Round 16 or 17 1987 (the stats site can't make up it's mind, and I was about 8 at the time, so I have no memory of this) - 30.21.201 to 10.11.71 = a whopping 130 point loss! :eek: Glad I don't remember that one...

Perthaps 2000 and 01 still feel recent. I can remember 2005 now. They squeezed the life out of us.

The big positive is Coxy is getting back to his best and his New under study is Farrrrrrrrrrrrrrr better then his last. :D

Mark Seaby: 11 pos, 10 hitouts, 3 tackles, 0 goals = Spud
Dean Cox: 15 pos, 27 hitouts, 3 tackles, 1 goal = Da man
Naita: 5 pos, 14 hitouts, 7 tackles, 1 goal= Better then Seaby.

Stevenson - was solid, not awesome, but showed fantastic composure and used the ball very well.
Schofield.
Waters.
Nicnat CAN kick.
Kennedy's consistency.
Keeping a lid on Goodes and Jetta.
Woosha tried new things in 2nd half with different players up forward and down back
More midfield time for Scooter.
What I thought was a positive - I remember thinking at one stage early, we had done well to shut down two of the 4 running backs. But we obviously didn't continue that for the 2nd half. This is their disposal tally vs us and average for 2010:

Mattner - 19 (14.6)
Malceski - 30 (22.6)
Shaw - 19 (19.9)
Kennelly - 24 (23)

Sorry, getting into negatives :p

He appears to be a terrific set shot for goal - not sure i've seen him miss one all year, including the pre-season - and all from 35m+.

Thought Schofield was really the biggest shining light - in a team that was getting pantsed through the midfield - to keep Goodes on a leash was a great effort.

Concerned he's a little undersized for the likes of Brown and Riewoldt - but at the moment he's doing a great job. Then again Hunter was never big and got the job done.

Schofield is still very young as far as KPP's go. Only just turned 21 and is around 92 Kilos so he's not giving all that much away in weight when compared to Riewoldt and has a few cm on him as well. He's such a good athlete and he's got good football smarts and good skills.

In two seasons he will be 23 and wont have all that much physical development left and i think he will be our best KPD by a good margin. Has a better feel for the speed of the game than Brown and McKenzie, not to mention he's got cleaner disposal.

Whoosh changed the semi-tag to a full tag on O'keefe after half time and he only got 7 odd possesions in the second half

We are getting closer to the end of Spangher for good

LeCras and Hurn can't play any worse then they did on the weekend

Sheppard, Strijk, Stevens, Smith, McKinley and Wilson all had good games in the WAFL and are pressing for selection

Schofield continues to mature well as a player

Remove this Banner Ad

Positives to come out of the weekend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back