Opinion Posts That Don't Deserve a Thread (Random Opinion or Questions)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's worth something , the one my eye went straight too was Mccartin funnily enough , that's a concern.
In fairness to him, the sample period covers his entire block of games post-return from concussion, the bye, and then two losses where defenders are inevitably going to look worse than they are.

Not that this is an excuse, I just couldn't put him any higher.

In fairness to him, the sample period covers his entire block of games post-return from concussion, the bye, and then two losses where defenders are inevitably going to look worse than they are.

Not that this is an excuse, I just couldn't put him any higher.

Yeah but he has been off noticeably since returning .

So we have the 2 game gap and % but Blues will lose maybe one more, Freo
maybe one more, Lions may go undefeated etc.

On current form everything looks a little rough

North SCG---- Surely?
Lions Gabba- tough
Port- AO. ----- tricky
Dogs. SCG--- another tricky one
Pies SCG--- bet players are back
Dons Marvel hmm
Crows SCG- surely

The North game is a must win

Really need to win the 4 home games

North SCG---- Surely?
Lions Gabba- tough
Port- AO. ----- tricky
Dons Marvel hmm
Crows SCG- surely

Lions at Gabba, Port anywhere & Bombers at Marvel is nightmare fuel.

If we don't finish top we'll literally only have ourselves to blame and that will sting.

I mean, ****ing Richmond, Fremantle and St Kilda...

Yep, and we SHOULD have won the last two weeks but we didn't.

Kicking twice as many behinds as our opposition - 30 to 15 over the last two weeks doesn't help. Why are we so freaking inaccurate?

Shudder to think of the toilet floors at Sydney

But we'd been accurate
Yep and now we're not, them's the breaks.

It's our drop off in intensity that worries me the most, looks to me like we are playing bruise free footy, almost pre-season like.

Still a great season so far, I'd just hate to see it all go down the toilet.

Yep and now we're not, them's the breaks.

It's our drop off in intensity that worries me the most, looks to me like we are playing bruise free footy, almost pre-season like.

Still a great season so far, I'd just hate to see it all go down the toilet.
Arrogance

North SCG---- Surely?
Lions Gabba- tough
Port- AO. ----- tricky
Dons Marvel hmm
Crows SCG- surely

All of those are tricky/bogie type games on current form we could lose them all! every team is going to bring their best.

On current form we could squeak by North this week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did I miss something here? Has there been a discussion on fitness loading, and it's effect on our current form slump? I read a post in the St Kilda autopsy thread that seemed to mock the idea, unsupported by any reasoning, but projecting it as an accepted truth. The post received likes and no push back.

So, we have a team that went 13-1, that generated countless video clips of extraordinary two-way running, precise execution, thrilling turnarounds, selfless commitment to cause and with multiple players pushing for awards ... all while being very noble and loyal representatives of our fine club.

Two weeks, and a couple of narrow losses later, the knives are out and the doom and gloomsters are in full voice.
Brodie needs a good break, Chad needs a good dose of discipline, Heeney needs to rest an undisclosed niggle, Tommy Mac is a fraud, Ollie is a turnover merchant, Papley can't handle pressure, Errol just didn't show up and the coaches are shite. We'll be lucky to win another game... going out in straight sets... blah blah blah

It isn't just the stars that are failing us, even our unsung heroes... the Macleans, Wickses, Foxes and Jordans are struggling to perform to their usual workman-like standards. The blanket drop in form is, to me, a clear indicator that the issue is much more likely the result of loading than any practical or personnel issues.

In my mind, there were signs in the Geelong game post-bye, while fatigue hadn't taken hold completely, we were still able to respond to the late charges. Crows game saved by an Amartey master class amongst some pretty average showings. And an unimpressive win over the weakened Giants, where the first observations were made by others here about our "leggyness" late on.

Think the lack of commitment and general lethargy on display, across the board, over the last two weeks is absolutely a symptom of fatigue. It will reduce Rowy's venom in tackles, the explosiveness of Chad and power of Isaacs bursts, Brodie's effort and mobility and Gulden's execution and endurance (btw Triple M commentary mentioned the wannabe 100% TOG man came for a break, expressing total exhaustion, very early in Sunday's game).

Their bodies are under duress and their minds have gone into self-preservation mode. What would normally be instinctive behaviour is firstly being evaluated by the mind to assess the risk of further harm to vulnerable bodies before any action is taken. That split second is huge at this level.

As with anybody suffering an illness, it will make even the most basic of tasks, like a simple handball, more difficult. It will impact the clarity of decision-making and reaction times. Even maintaining our feet could prove testy, an observation made by several posters about Sunday.

Horse, with a multi-game buffer and home finals virtually assured, would love to exploit that by having the team significantly fitter than any of our opponents for the finals campaign as well. Whilst I suspect there is a couple more weeks still to run, the physical impact on the boys should start to wane as they reach the required levels thereby clearing their minds of trauma defence and to resume dominating the competition. I am only encouraged by the ferocious standards Horse and the fitness crew appear to be setting this year.

Just as an aside, in the 3 years since Covid, our winning percentage in the 6 games (a guesstimate of the duration of any loading regimen) after each bye is 58%, while in the 6 games leading into each finals series is 89%. Feel that kinda shows how the plan might be designed to work.

Now as a coach, I am always looking to improve my knowledge with a view to doing a better job, so I'd be really happy to hear from people that, either through sources or their own experience, have differing views. Perhaps Aardvark might be so kind as to share his insights, given it appears he dismisses the idea? Or The King! and TheMase who supported his post.

Would love to hear Bonz thoughts from the perspective of an elite sporting superstar.

Did I miss something here? Has there been a discussion on fitness loading, and it's effect on our current form slump? I read a post in the St Kilda autopsy thread that seemed to mock the idea, unsupported by any reasoning, but projecting it as an accepted truth. The post received likes and no push back.

So, we have a team that went 13-1, that generated countless video clips of extraordinary two-way running, precise execution, thrilling turnarounds, selfless commitment to cause and with multiple players pushing for awards ... all while being very noble and loyal representatives of our fine club.

Two weeks, and a couple of narrow losses later, the knives are out and the doom and gloomsters are in full voice.
Brodie needs a good break, Chad needs a good dose of discipline, Heeney needs to rest an undisclosed niggle, Tommy Mac is a fraud, Ollie is a turnover merchant, Papley can't handle pressure, Errol just didn't show up and the coaches are shite. We'll be lucky to win another game... going out in straight sets... blah blah blah

It isn't just the stars that are failing us, even our unsung heroes... the Macleans, Wickses, Foxes and Jordans are struggling to perform to their usual workman-like standards. The blanket drop in form is, to me, a clear indicator that the issue is much more likely the result of loading than any practical or personnel issues.

In my mind, there were signs in the Geelong game post-bye, while fatigue hadn't taken hold completely, we were still able to respond to the late charges. Crows game saved by an Amartey master class amongst some pretty average showings. And an unimpressive win over the weakened Giants, where the first observations were made by others here about our "leggyness" late on.

Think the lack of commitment and general lethargy on display, across the board, over the last two weeks is absolutely a symptom of fatigue. It will reduce Rowy's venom in tackles, the explosiveness of Chad and power of Isaacs bursts, Brodie's effort and mobility and Gulden's execution and endurance (btw Triple M commentary mentioned the wannabe 100% TOG man came for a break, expressing total exhaustion, very early in Sunday's game).

Their bodies are under duress and their minds have gone into self-preservation mode. What would normally be instinctive behaviour is firstly being evaluated by the mind to assess the risk of further harm to vulnerable bodies before any action is taken. That split second is huge at this level.

As with anybody suffering an illness, it will make even the most basic of tasks, like a simple handball, more difficult. It will impact the clarity of decision-making and reaction times. Even maintaining our feet could prove testy, an observation made by several posters about Sunday.

Horse, with a multi-game buffer and home finals virtually assured, would love to exploit that by having the team significantly fitter than any of our opponents for the finals campaign as well. Whilst I suspect there is a couple more weeks still to run, the physical impact on the boys should start to wane as they reach the required levels thereby clearing their minds of trauma defence and to resume dominating the competition. I am only encouraged by the ferocious standards Horse and the fitness crew appear to be setting this year.

Just as an aside, in the 3 years since Covid, our winning percentage in the 6 games (a guesstimate of the duration of any loading regimen) after each bye is 58%, while in the 6 games leading into each finals series is 89%. Feel that kinda shows how the plan might be designed to work.

Now as a coach, I am always looking to improve my knowledge with a view to doing a better job, so I'd be really happy to hear from people that, either through sources or their own experience, have differing views. Perhaps Aardvark might be so kind as to share his insights, given it appears he dismisses the idea? Or The King! and TheMase who supported his post.

Would love to hear Bonz thoughts from the perspective of an elite sporting superstar.

I am mainly replying as you tagged me, but following up a great post like yours, I feel a bit of an imposter.

I was told training loads are up - like I said probably Bs.

But your post gives food for thought and I know this is not an afl footballers life at all and I am a hack office person training . But i do get my running from a "coach" for lack of a better word and have run 5-6 marathons and other races and the program works in blocks of 2 on 1 off.

I am not suggesting there are simplistic such ways in an AFL club, but I am sure the whole year is finely tuned and balanced as well as flexible where needed for the unexpected.

I am not saying we lost games because of it, they aim to win everyweek. The aim is to also win the flag and manage the year though.

Again going back to my wanky local running , your comments ring true in training because I know for a marathon Pb like 2 weeks out I was farked , 10k run felt awful, stopped every traffic light, but race day I was running above the ground. But the 10k was in a huge block

maybe i shouldn't even post this part 😂.

I guess where I am at , as fans we just want success and fear the side falling apart from such a great base , but as you say there's way more to it.

There's an ultimate prize here

Seriously great post, good perspective.

Also there are 2 sides out there, only one can win, they lost to another professional sports club,
not the kids under 10a blue

I think I may have liked the wrong post as I think it’s quite likely that we have heavier training loads, particularly given our current position on the ladder. Literally just got off the phone to a mate of mine suggesting that 😂

The fact we were running out games so well and now we are not might align with that.

I am mainly replying as you tagged me, but following up a great post like yours, I feel a bit of an imposter.

I was told training loads are up - like I said probably Bs.

But your post gives food for thought and I know this is not an afl footballers life at all and I am a hack office person training . But i do get my running from a "coach" for lack of a better word and have run 5-6 marathons and other races and the program works in blocks of 2 on 1 off.

I am not suggesting there are simplistic such ways in an AFL club, but I am sure the whole year is finely tuned and balanced as well as flexible where needed for the unexpected.

I am not saying we lost games because of it, they aim to win everyweek. The aim is to also win the flag and manage the year though.

Again going back to my wanky local running , your comments ring true in training because I know for a marathon Pb like 2 weeks out I was farked , 10k run felt awful, stopped every traffic light, but race day I was running above the ground. But the 10k was in a huge block

maybe i shouldn't even post this part 😂.

I guess where I am at , as fans we just want success and fear the side falling apart from such a great base , but as you say there's way more to it.

There's an ultimate prize here

Seriously great post, good perspective.

Also there are 2 sides out there, only one can win, they lost to another professional sports club,
not the kids under 10a blue

Mate I didn't suspect you to be unappreciative but tagged you in as you had liked the post and wondered what thoughts you had. I'm glad you see value in my post.

My first experience with loading was a costly one. Got taught a lesson in a grand final at u/21 level rugby. Had a beer afterwards with the oppo coach who explained his planning etc. We were clear favourites and just got steamrolled by a team that had sacrificed a 6 week block of training to do weights... just couldn't stop the bastards :(

I think I may have liked the wrong post as I think it’s quite likely that we have heavier training loads, particularly given our current position on the ladder. Literally just got off the phone to a mate of mine suggesting that 😂

The fact we were running out games so well and now we are not might align with that.

Thanks. Again, I thought it unlikely you would be dismissive.

Not a superstar, but can comment on this as an athlete/ strength & conditioning coach.

Depending on the program, it usually takes around 8-12 weeks to build a peak fitness profile and apply significant changes, if I'm I am training for a competition (or coaching students for a competition), I start their build-up around 2.5 months before the competition peak, it also usually takes around 8 weeks to put theory/ drills into actual practice.

The timing completely matches up with an intentional load up and is the reason I am not overly concerned about dropping the last few games.

I think we are purposely peaking ourselves for September and taking a small dip now, we wouldn't be purposely losing matches, but it wouldn't surprise me if we are shifting our goalposts a tad especially after being 3 games clear.

I need another coffee after trying to read that

Not a superstar, but can comment on this as an athlete/ strength & conditioning coach.

Depending on the program, it usually takes around 8-12 weeks to build a peak fitness profile and apply significant changes, if I'm I am training for a competition (or coaching students for a competition), I start their build-up around 2.5 months before the competition peak, it also usually takes around 8 weeks to put theory/ drills into actual practice.

The timing completely matches up with an intentional load up and is the reason I am not overly concerned about dropping the last few games.

I think we are purposely peaking ourselves for September and taking a small dip now, we wouldn't be purposely losing matches, but it wouldn't surprise me if we are shifting our goalposts a tad especially after being 3 games clear.
This makes me feel so much better. I am going with this perspective.

It just seems so logical.
If we were getting whacked in games, I would understand the peaked too early, being found out etc narratives, but we're not getting whacked, we have lost two games by a total of three points.

It just seems so logical.
If we were getting whacked in games, I would understand the peaked too early, being found out etc narratives, but we're not getting whacked, we have lost two games by a total of three points.

we've lost our three games by a total of eight points ... and all three games could've been won in the last minute or so
the footy media favourites, who we still lead by two games, gave up a 39-point lead and got done by 12 points last saturday night ... yet we're apparently the team on the slide ...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back