Powa get 1st Showdown at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

There is a HUGE positive side to this. Adelaide will play Port Power in the first game, big deal both clubs get to play in this opening match. What happens the next week? Adelaide will play a home game against a big club possibly fri or sat night.

Adelaide will play the first two games at the new oval, both blockbusters, wonder how long it will take the PP fans to realise this and start their bitching :D

There is a HUGE positive side to this. Adelaide will play Port Power in the first game, big deal both clubs get to play in this opening match. What happens the next week? Adelaide will play a home game against a big club possibly fri or sat night.

Adelaide will play the first two games at the new oval, both blockbusters, wonder how long it will take the PP fans to realise this and start their bitching :D
Thats a good point but I'm sure we'll recover by the time we have a home game in Anzac round

Another slap in the face to the AFL administration for the lying and cheating over the past 3 years.

As long as Trigg and Chapman are running the club, the AFL will continue to deny is privileges and bonus based on this fact.

At the moment, we suck as a club and are majorly on the nose.
Oh Jesus. Serious?

Now you are just talking garbage.

Trigg says it's a handout while KT plays the "we plaid well this yar and r sah Pert Adeledz dats y we get it lulz"... both the performance and a boost to Port point are probably true to an extent but both administrators are spinning it in the best way it suits them.

The only independent source of information in the afl.com.au article is from AFL scheduling manager Simon Lethlean: "The AFL has determined that Port Adelaide should host the game, so as to maximise attendances across both Showdown matches in the 2014 premiership season."

It's pretty clear from that line that the best way to get more money for the AFL is for Port to have the first one which WILL sell out and have ours second which would sell out whether it was the second game or not because Port showdowns don't generally sell out. The reason, as always, is: The AFL want more moneh!!!

I don't care at all about this decision.

I'm not too fussed either.

This needs to be said : I nearly drove off the road when I heard that our club had said they were extremely disappointed that this decision didn't go our way. Apparently we've been beating down the doors at AFL house.

Now, some of you may remember that Rob Chapman - before this decision was even a twinkle in the AFL's eye - publically stated that he did not care who was given the first showdown.

Someone, somewhere has shown terrible judgement and this has now become the norm at the AFC.

We are full of shit.

Decision that makes sense economically for the AFL so i don't really care...

I wouldn't really care either way. In the end, does it matter?

No.

But it matters that we pick our battles wisely and remain consistent in our message. Chapman's initial comments were clearly fired from the hip without member consultation. It then looks as though the club realised this was an important issue to a lot of members and so changed its tune (shades of the clash guernsey, anyone?)

So we ended up fighting a battle - hard - that we'd initially given up on. Hard to come back from there and what a waste of energy in fighting

We are shit at this. Really shit.

You have to think about it from the AFLs point of view.

Give them a leg up with opportunities to sell more seats or give them a lump sum at the end of the season?

Makes it look as though they can stand on their own two feet.

which is true from an AFL perspective, but what about an AFC perspective?

Gifting Port this game as a charity event actually costs the AFC. We may not lose out ticket sales and attendances, but we'll certainly lose out on commercial deals. The demand to be involved in the first game will be significant.

So sure, Port may get a smaller handout at the end of the year, but what about us? We don't get one anyway, and we still wont next year. We'll just have to compromise somewhere else.

No.

But it matters that we pick our battles wisely and remain consistent in our message. Chapman's initial comments were clearly fired from the hip without member consultation. It then looks as though the club realised this was an important issue to a lot of members and so changed its tune (shades of the clash guernsey, anyone?)

So we ended up fighting a battle - hard - that we'd initially given up on. Hard to come back from there and what a waste of energy in fighting

We are shit at this. Really shit.

I would hope that if they did decide to fight for it that they would at least try to get the AFL to compensate us for not getting the game, even if behind closed AFC doors our people didn't care about winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy guys.... The only reason Adelaide Oval got off the ground at all is because the State Government of the time were/are rabid Powa supporters. AFL inception at AOval was only ever carried and pushed by the Government as a means to rescue Port Adelaide. Repeat, it only gained life because the leaders within the Labor Party saw it as a way of saving and promoting Port Adelaide. Call me cynical but I cannot help but conclude that, given the big Govt bucks involved, the likes of Weatherall, Rann and Foley have heavied their influence once again to secure the 1st game for PA. Even now they, and all concerned with Powa, will be scheming to work AO as the brain child, the home, the historic right, the new era, the true inheritance (as well as Alberton) for that club. While the Labor party remain in power they have leadership people who, being PA followers, are embittered with AFC and exert much influence with their predjudiced and disingenuousness dealings with the AFL etc.

Easy guys.... The only reason Adelaide Oval got off the ground at all is because the State Government of the time were/are rabid Powa supporters. AFL inception at AOval was only ever carried and pushed by the Government as a means to rescue Port Adelaide. Repeat, it only gained life because the leaders within the Labor Party saw it as a way of saving and promoting Port Adelaide. Call me cynical but I cannot help but conclude that, given the big Govt bucks involved, the likes of Weatherall, Rann and Foley have heavied their influence once again to secure the 1st game for PA. Even now they, and all concerned with Powa, will be scheming to work AO as the brain child, the home, the historic right, the new era, the true inheritance (as well as Alberton) for that club. While the Labor party remain in power they have leadership people who, being PA followers, are embittered with AFC and exert much influence with their predjudiced and disingenuousness dealings with the AFL etc.

Well they will only be in power for another 5 months then turfed out just before the Showdown!

Can't wait for 2014, playing the first 2 games there, our ANZAC day game, watch out for a handful of SANFL teams hosting our reserves at Adelaide Oval also while the power are stuck down at Alberton.

Trigg has already said this probably won't happen.

For mine there should only be one showdown a year and both the number of tickets and gate should be shared.
First there were 2 a year, then we got showdown in the meaningless cup as well => showdowns started becoming more and more meaningless.
1 per year and they will be a sellout each and every year, plus the TV ratings will go up.

For mine there should only be one showdown a year and both the number of tickets and gate should be shared.
First there were 2 a year, then we got showdown in the meaningless cup as well => showdowns started becoming more and more meaningless.
1 per year and they will be a sellout each and every year, plus the TV ratings will go up.

Not likely, it's possible next we will have nab cup showdown, 2 x home and away showdowns, reserves showdowns, little heroes showdowns. This rivalry is stuffed down our throats.

Not likely, it's possible next we will have nab cup showdown, 2 x home and away showdowns, reserves showdowns, little heroes showdowns. This rivalry is stuffed down our throats.
And that is the problem. :thumbsu:

Oh and you forgot the slowdowns. Wasn't that supposed to be a once off?

Who cares. From a pure profit point of view Adelaide will end up ahead. Both teams play the same number of home games and one 'away' home game. We will get a significantly larger crowd on average per week and therefore more money. Lets be honest, that is all the AFL and AFC really care about. This is a business now not a sport.

which is true from an AFL perspective, but what about an AFC perspective?

Gifting Port this game as a charity event actually costs the AFC. We may not lose out ticket sales and attendances, but we'll certainly lose out on commercial deals. The demand to be involved in the first game will be significant.

So sure, Port may get a smaller handout at the end of the year, but what about us? We don't get one anyway, and we still wont next year. We'll just have to compromise somewhere else.

I dont necessarily disagree with what your saying, but Port already has beaten us to the punch in playing an AFL game at AO before 2014.

R24 Port Adelaide 3.2 8.4 13.6 17.10 (112) dftd Melbourne 3.6 7.11 10.12 15.14 (104) Adelaide Oval Sep 4 (Sun 3:10pm)

disagree this is a business.

Showdown Home + Away attendance >>>> Showdown attendance for one team.

The Showdowns should be played at time to benefit the state, like a Showdown on Anzac Day and maybe Queens Birthday or Good Friday (great fit for the city of churches -makes sense we get this game only for ourselves)

Remove this Banner Ad

Powa get 1st Showdown at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back