Powa get 1st Showdown at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

As disappointing as it will be, the only place this will have any impact will be on line.

Facebook flogs, twitter trolls, big footy board and bay 13 participants will run with it to troll others.

It shouldn't impact on any marketing strategy as the game will sell out regardless and shouldn't make much of an impact on the history pages. No one used the first game at the Telstra dome as a marketing point or stadium Australia either.

We should have been awarded thus game based on the members we have and the financial security we bring to the SANFL but we haven't and we know why.

disagree this is a business.

Showdown Home + Away attendance >>>> Showdown attendance for one team.

The Showdowns should be played at time to benefit the state, like a Showdown on Anzac Day and maybe Queens Birthday or Good Friday (great fit for the city of churches -makes sense we get this game only for ourselves)
And that business is? From a club point of view
a) 30k => $loss
b) 40k => little incy wincy tiny submariney type profit
c) 50k => large profit even when halved

Continue to saturate the market and there will be plenty 30,000 crowds in the future no matter who the home team is.

Why didn't they just have both showdowns as non ticketed games. Nether team hold the home game status

Like finals, who ever wants to go, has to buy a ticket. 59/50 spilt and major it a game for everyone abd the game funds are spilt between the 2 clubs.

Why didn't they just have both showdowns as non ticketed games. Nether team hold the home game status

Like finals, who ever wants to go, has to buy a ticket. 59/50 spilt and major it a game for everyone abd the game funds are spilt between the 2 clubs.
Been saying for a long time now.
Split the gate, home team gets 60- 65% of the tickets, away team 35-40% of the tickets. Income split 50-50. Members from both teams get first preference. ie if not enough members want to buy Port's 60% share of a home game, Crow members get first dibs instead of Port non members. If that makes sense.

End result is tickets are harder to get just like before Footy Park got upgraded and status will go up again. => both teams will have improved income from games and TV ratings will go up again.

Splitting the gate is already done by some teams in Melbourne.

Actually I'd go one step further and take a leaf out of European soccer's books.
Showdown tickets are sold separately from season tickets and at a higher cost. Tickets go on sale before the season starts that way both teams get a stable revenue stream no matter which team has a bandwagon going due to on field results, however the stadium remain the same for all games as the SANFL etc will get their share of the profit from the larger crowds anyway.

Good to see your endorsing Trigg for another 10 years.

Not everything in the world is an extreme, mate. The fact that I recognise when you are blindly guessing and passing your estimations off as fact does not mean I endorse Trigg to stay on for a decade. Honestly, you say some pretty bizarre things but that takes the cake.

I've been in favour of removing Trigg for a long time now.

Not really, check my posting history, when the Tippett stuff came out I said forget getting the first game at AO, you don't upset Demetrious little apple cart and not expect blowback.

The fact that you made the same guess a while ago doesn't mean it isn't a guess the second time around. Be sensible.

Just announced. I reckon we should boycott this one and let them bring out the bay covers. Up yours AFL.

Port were always going to get it. I don't mind. The first showdown at Adelaide was always the one that would have been easiest to sell out. Plus I am a massive crows fan with Port season tickets. (long story)

More supporters of both clubs can get there.

It does stink in a way that its us paying for this ground..

Why?
You completely lost me there, who else is going to pay for it?
If there was no AFC, the redevelopment would not go ahead. The two other major tenants are financial basket cases and either one could be easily missed.

Everyone knows that 12 times a year for the next 50 years, the AFC will bring in crowds, no one else will.

I mean no offense with that, just presenting reality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there was no AFC, the redevelopment would not go ahead. The two other major tenants are financial basket cases and either one could be easily missed.

I mean no offense with that, just presenting reality.
My bad. Hadn't realised this thread had turned into another Port Vs Crows gobblefest and I thought you were talking about you, me and everyone else on here.
At the end of the day it is our taxes that are paying for it, but better on an oval than a cheap junket for a politician and his mistress.

Easy guys.... The only reason Adelaide Oval got off the ground at all is because the State Government of the time were/are rabid Powa supporters. AFL inception at AOval was only ever carried and pushed by the Government as a means to rescue Port Adelaide. Repeat, it only gained life because the leaders within the Labor Party saw it as a way of saving and promoting Port Adelaide. Call me cynical but I cannot help but conclude that, given the big Govt bucks involved, the likes of Weatherall, Rann and Foley have heavied their influence once again to secure the 1st game for PA. Even now they, and all concerned with Powa, will be scheming to work AO as the brain child, the home, the historic right, the new era, the true inheritance (as well as Alberton) for that club. While the Labor party remain in power they have leadership people who, being PA followers, are embittered with AFC and exert much influence with their predjudiced and disingenuousness dealings with the AFL etc.

Interesting post.

Unfortunately the state opposition leader is also a Port supporter.

I'm just so confused at how so many people can be up in arms about this. From what i can gather you would think it is okay if you got it and we missed out? How is that fair?

In this scenario unfortunately someone misses out. You can't have 2 winners.

Just like the AFL normally do, they base their fixture on the previous year. You guys had a terrible year, lost both showdowns and look like a shambles to the rest of the comp. What Trigg and co have done is destroy your image, but you are all so blindsided to realise this.

Stop your bitching and quit being such one eyed supporters. Saying stuff like you are going to boycott the game? Holy shit that is the most pathetic thing I have ever seen.

Don't come on here and tell us we're bitching or pathetic. Even if it were true (most have been fairly reasonable, with only a handful of exceptions) it's still the wrong place to do it, at the wrong time. Please make sure it is the last time.

The problem people do have with the decision is the explanation given. "Commercial reality" is applied when it's Crows and Port, but not when it comes to giving blockbuster matches to the big Victorian clubs. The double standard is very poor.

Don't come on here and tell us we're bitching or pathetic. Even if it were true (most have been fairly reasonable, with only a handful of exceptions) it's still the wrong place to do it, at the wrong time. Please make sure it is the last time.
Fair way to deal with it stabby. :thumbsu:

The problem people do have with the decision is the explanation given. "Commercial reality" is applied when it's Crows and Port, but not when it comes to giving blockbuster matches to the big Victorian clubs. The double standard is very poor.
Not sure I agree with that as IMO the AFL has to deal with more than just the AFC and Port.
In Melbourne they have less players they need to satisfy now that they have "renegotiated" their agreements with the MCG and Docklands.

Fair way to deal with it stabby. :thumbsu:

Not sure I agree with that as IMO the AFL has to deal with more than just the AFC and Port.
In Melbourne they have less players they need to satisfy now that they have "renegotiated" their agreements with the MCG and Docklands.

The fact remains that the "commercial reality" argument for propping up lesser-supported clubs is one not applied in other states. Just our own.

I had NFI who hosted the first showdown, all I know is Port won the game.

All I care about is we crush them in round 2 next year and have a successful year at Adelaide Oval. The upgrade wasn't done for one game FFS.

Yes it would have been nice to have it, but it really isn't the end of the world.

Trigg sounded far too depressed on 5aa yesterday. Move on an promote the rest of the year. Being all negative about one match isn't very inspiring for the supporter base I would have thought.

The fact remains that the "commercial reality" argument for propping up lesser-supported clubs is one not applied in other states. Just our own.

Because it's bullshit.

Until Collingwood start getting poor timeslots because they don't need the money, and WB/North start getting good ones, because they do need the the money, then it's just another flimsy attempt to justify a decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Powa get 1st Showdown at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back