Powa get 1st Showdown at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough but how?

How will it become less relevant?
Simply because Port is one of 10 SANFL teams and the majority of the current population grew up in the areas that followed one of the other 9 teams (or 8 if you want to go that way).
Now we will have Norwood Vs Crows in the SANFL just like Norwood Vs Port. In the AFL it is one out of 2 teams.
Give it time (talking generation wise more than years) and the SANFL allegiances will be a thing of the past.

Port's biggest mistake was to listen to people telling it to grow the pie, not necessarily because it was the wrong thing to do but IMO the wrong time to try and do it.

But what your proposing will take also 25 to 30 years.

When the kids of today are have their own kids and have bypassed the entire SANFL think. You're also banking in parents completely stopping going to the SANFL club they have previously supported and the kids following trend.

Your strategy may work but it's going to take a very long time.

But what your proposing will take also 25 to 30 years.

When the kids of today are have their own kids and have bypassed the entire SANFL think. You're also banking in parents completely stopping going to the SANFL club they have previously supported and the kids following trend.

Your strategy may work but it's going to take a very long time.
Not proposing as that is what I think will happen by itself, in the meantime Port needs to get the right people in the right jobs, be very clear on where it is and strategize accordingly as it cannot afford to put the cart before the horse.
IMO the SANFL was putting pressure on the club to do just that (cart before the horse) and now with KT and Kochie on board they seem to have less influence and we are back on track.

Not proposing as that is what I think will happen by itself, in the meantime Port needs to get the right people in the right jobs, be very clear on where it is and strategize accordingly as it cannot afford to put the cart before the horse.
IMO the SANFL was putting pressure on the club to do just that (cart before the horse) and now with KT and Kochie on board they seem to have less influence and we are back on track.

Like any marketing strategy, it will only work if the consumer buys your product for the right reason. If they buy it based on winning, will the strategy continue to work when you lose?

I think most clubs should sell the history, culture and desire to belong to something bigger than they are, not in winning. In sporting marketing strategies, winning should always come a very distant second as the consumer doesn't emotionally belong to the club.

Like any marketing strategy, it will only work if the consumer buys your product for the right reason. If they buy it based on winning, will the strategy continue to work when you lose?

I think most clubs should sell the history, culture and desire to belong to something bigger than they are, not in winning. In sporting marketing strategies, winning should always come a very distant second as the consumer doesn't emotionally belong to the club.
I don't disagree but in team sports strong family ties and clubs winning when one is growing up are the two major factors that determine number of supporters. Atm I see the numbers tied to the Crows as having more to do with the old SANFL clubs than the Crows themselves when it comes to the casual supporter.

i have no concern about Port as a commercial entity, my concern only lies with the AFC having thoughts like yours.

There should be no win wins, the Crows should be ruthless, given it is a two town team and there is a finite amount of $ to be spent, the AFC should be trying to get as close to 100% of that as possible.

I assume Port will be paying back all that SANFL money this year and replacing the SANFL appointed people at your club...given you guys sorted it out all by yourself ;)
The problem with this attitude is if you turn down situations where you win just because somebody else wins as well, the alternative is often a situation where you lose instead. No point cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Besides, if we stick with 50-50 win/win situations with Port for the rest of our existence, we'll remain ahead of them. What we need to avoid are the situations where they make up ground on us. Losing the ANZAC night game is one such example.

From an outsiders perspective, it's rather strange to see Adelaide fans not wanting to go to the Port hosted showdown as it costs them money

What you guys seem to miss is that having both Adelaide and Port going well and hosting some high profile matches at Adelaide Oval it should be terrific for your state - personally I love going to a big game at the MCG when my team isn't playing

Also might reduce the go home factor for both teams when they recruit Victorians and West Aussies

Could even make things more enticing when either of you are trying to attract free agents who aren't South Australians heading home

The finite amount of $ argument doesn't really hold, as more $$$ will be found if both teams are attractive and the state of the game in SA is going well - look at Dockers and Eagles as an example

I look forward to my first Hawks match at the Adelaide Oval... (Saw 4 wins from my 4 trips to Footy Park over the years!)

From an outsiders perspective, it's rather strange to see Adelaide fans not wanting to go to the Port hosted showdown as it costs them money

What you guys seem to miss is that having both Adelaide and Port going well and hosting some high profile matches at Adelaide Oval it should be terrific for your state - personally I love going to a big game at the MCG when my team isn't playing

Also might reduce the go home factor for both teams when they recruit Victorians and West Aussies

Could even make things more enticing when either of you are trying to attract free agents who aren't South Australians heading home

The finite amount of $ argument doesn't really hold, as more $$$ will be found if both teams are attractive and the state of the game in SA is going well - look at Dockers and Eagles as an example

I look forward to my first Hawks match at the Adelaide Oval... (Saw 4 wins from my 4 trips to Footy Park over the years!)

I went to a Port home Showdown this year and now I can't get the bastards to stop sending me emails. So now I refuse to go because i'm sticking up for my spam inbox.

I went to a Port home Showdown this year and now I can't get the bastards to stop sending me emails. So now I refuse to go because i'm sticking up for my spam inbox.

there's a box on ticketmaster you can tick/untick to say you want to be contacted by the home team

I don't really understand the mentality of not going to Port home game Showdowns because you don't want to "give them money" either. It's almost as though some supporters think that them having a lower crowd at their home game is an implicit victory to us.

I'm fairly sure it's a relatively vocal minority, mind you.
Both sides have them and some who are dual members just to go to away showdowns and 11 home games.

Do you guys remember the AFL doing us a favour in the last 22 years?
For the last 17 years we alternated every year on which team got the first showdown.
Now, because it would attract more people and would help the home team, the AFL changed tradition and gave Port the first showdown.
Because of the rotation, it appears that we will not get the Anzac day game.
It appears to me that every time we get a chance to improve our bottom line, the AFL find a way to f... us up.

No. I wont be going to the game. I will be protesting against the AFL not against Port.
Some of your guys are quick to want to hurt out team by protesting against the administration but will protest against the AFL when time and time again, they do everything to screw us up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the last 17 years we alternated every year on which team got the first showdown.
Now, because it would attract more people and would help the home team, the AFL changed tradition and gave Port the first showdown.
It appears to me that every time we get a chance to improve our bottom line, the AFL find a way to f... us up.

No. I wont be going to the game. I will be protesting against the AFL not against Port.
Some of your guys are quick to want to hurt out team by protesting against the administration but will protest against the AFL when time and time again, they do everything to screw us up.
Not sure why who has the first showdown has to relate to who gets Anzac Day
Rd 1 both away
Rd 2 port home
Rd 3 crows home
Rd 4 port home
Rd 5 both home
Rd 6 crows home Anzac weekend
Surely it could work like that

Not sure why who has the first showdown has to relate to who gets Anzac Day
Rd 1 both away
Rd 2 port home
Rd 3 crows home
Rd 4 port home
Rd 5 both home
Rd 6 crows home Anzac weekend
Surely it could work like that

I think the early reason given for ANZAC day was because of round one at some point both teams would have to be the home team in the same week and we already have times when a club has 2 home games in a row.

The real reason if we miss out is likely to be an agreement with the networks that each of them will have a stand alone game now that the NZ game has been locked in.

I think the early reason given for ANZAC day was because of round one at some point both teams would have to be the home team in the same week and we already have times when a club has 2 home games in a row.

The real reason if we miss out is likely to be an agreement with the networks that each of them will have a stand alone game now that the NZ game has been locked in.
Isn't their split rounds surely that could be the weeks that we both play home. Also there wouldn't be a problem having two games there on one weekend, one Friday night and one Sunday game.

Isn't their split rounds surely that could be the weeks that we both play home. Also there wouldn't be a problem having two games there on one weekend, one Friday night and one Sunday game.

Agree, I think it was just one of the positive reasons it would work, since we had to have double games anyway, might as well have one on a public holiday.. Your right there is no reason it wouldn't work so it's strange they now seem to be using that as an excuse since it already happens.

I still don't understand what there is to protest.

The AFL are all about crowds and ratings in their fixture.

They couldn't give a stuff about contribution to state, previous results, entitlement etc.

Port showdowns barely ever sell out. Most Crows showdowns do. The first game at AO is a big ticket item, and will sell out regardless of host. Therefore, to ensure both games sell out, Port host the first one.

It really isn't that hard to understand. It was the obvious decision, and am looking forward to trying to grab a ticket and attend what should be a cracking game in front of 50,000+.

I still don't understand what there is to protest.

The AFL are all about crowds and ratings in their fixture.

They couldn't give a stuff about contribution to state, previous results, entitlement etc.

Port showdowns barely ever sell out. Most Crows showdowns do. The first game at AO is a big ticket item, and will sell out regardless of host. Therefore, to ensure both games sell out, Port host the first one.

It really isn't that hard to understand. It was the obvious decision, and am looking forward to trying to grab a ticket and attend what should be a cracking game in front of 50,000+.

Let them gloat about having the first one then let them watch Betts kick another goal of the year from the pocket to sink their dreams ;)

Let them gloat about having the first one then let them watch Betts kick another goal of the year from the pocket to sink their dreams ;)

If Betts gets to kick a goal with the ball being a foot out of bounds, I would hate to be the boundary umpire. For the Carlton game, it didn't matter for us (Port), so the crowd was annoyed, but not over the top at the umpire mistake. Do it to the first game/showdown and I reckon the umpire will need ear plugs for the rest of the game.

If Betts gets to kick a goal with the ball being a foot out of bounds, I would hate to be the boundary umpire. For the Carlton game, it didn't matter for us (Port), so the crowd was annoyed, but not over the top at the umpire mistake. Do it to the first game/showdown and I reckon the umpire will need ear plugs for the rest of the game.

It was inconclusive! :p

Man I was pissed that wasn't called. Betts possibly cost us a finals spot! :p

So getting the opening game of the season this year on a stand alone Friday night wasn't a fixturing favour?

In order of why Port got the first game.
1. Commercial reality. As per official AFL line.
2. Port rewarded for good season, beyond all expectation. 5th beats 11th.
3. Port rewarded for turning it around off field.
4. AFL lingering dislike for the Adelaide's board after Tippett gate.

So getting the opening game of the season this year on a stand alone Friday night wasn't a fixturing favour?

There is obviously a link to all of these examples!!!

#1 and maaaaaybe #3 are realities.

I doubt that #2 or #4 had even the remotest impact whatsoever.

Remove this Banner Ad

Powa get 1st Showdown at AO

Remove this Banner Ad

Back