Training Pre Season - Who's deadset training the house down 2024 style.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asking James Jordon who our most underrated player is feels like a strange question considering he hasn't played a game with any of them yet LOL

I Mean Me Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

If this is the case, can't see him getting ahead of Parker, Adams, Rowbottom, Chad, Sheldrick and Mills (when back). And Errol today stated he wants more inside time. Plus there's also on ball for Heeney and Paps to consider, as well as Roberts and Cleary. On the wing, we already have Errol, McInerney, Campbell and Corey Warner, so no easy spot there.

Sounds like we signed him as depth, more than anything else? Good problem to have!
I think it depends on how you configure the mids. Does Parker do as much time in there. I'm not sure he does. Are the coaches going to use Heeney & Papley in the mids? I mean, their great value is as forwards. I would like to only see them in the mids if they are not getting mitts to the ball on the forward line. Roberts is being tried at HB. That is an interesting call.

I think all players will be judged on their form in the pre-season games. We can get a good look at them Thursday.

On CPH2471 using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think it depends on how you configure the mids. Does Parker do as much time in there. I'm not sure he does. Are the coaches going to use Heeney & Papley in the mids? I mean, their great value is as forwards. I would like to only see them in the mids if they are not getting mitts to the ball on the forward line. Roberts is being tried at HB. That is an interesting call.

I think all players will be judged on their form in the pre-season games. We can get a good look at them Thursday.

I think Thursday will be the day for experiments. With the VFL quarters to follow immediately after players could get a run in both.
vs Brisbane will be the Rd 0 team or very, very close. At most one or two positions in doubt. VFL is before.

A reminder folks that you can submit your predicted best 23s for round 1 at this thread: Prediction - Guess the Round 1 side

Just a fun guessing game type contest for anyone interested. Person with the closest 23 to that announced on team selection night ahead of round 1 wins bragging rights. You have until after the match sim on Thursday to submit your guesses :)

You can't play Parker full time forward. You'll just rebound through his man all day. Would be an obvious instruction

70% of tog and he is very smart… would keep a small Oppo defender on his toes.

Good post. But a fair number of points where I differ.

Parker is no Wicks (as I think you agree) and I don't think it is a no brainer that Parker spends a lot more time forward in a fixed position. I think the two best chances to squeeze Parker into the forward rotation are (a) would be to play one less tall, which I think mostly won't happen; or (b) have him replace Hayward, which I also don't think will happen. In addition to other reasons, I'm not sure it would be wise to have an elder player at the back end of his career replace a player in his prime unless the player was a significant upgrade and I don't think Parker would be.

I don't think Parker is better than any of Heeney, Papley, Hayward or Wicks in that role but he is most similar to Hayward. He is possibly a more reliable goal goal kicker than Hayward and can mark just about as well but is slower and less agile and can't apply the same level of pressure.

I don't agree that we lack leadership forward. Last year I was struck by how disproportionately our leadership group was focused in our front half: all of Papley, Hayward and possibly Heeney were in the leadership group. True Buddy has left but I don't think that means we need Parker there for leadership.

Turning to the midfield, I don't agree that Rowy is a "next to pure defensive mid" (and I'm not sure if Caesar says that either). Obviously Rowy is outstanding defensively and that is the strongest part of his game but that is by no means his only talent. I would think he gains similar metreage each game to a player like Parker and uses the ball no worse. [I just checked the stats for last year and Rowy gained a few more metres (5th v 7th out of midfielders) but he didn't use the ball as efficiently (63% v 69%). That difference in efficiency reflects the fact that Rowy doesn't get a lot of uncontested ball and is nearly always under a lot of pressure when he uses the ball. Parker had nearly 5 more uncontested possessions per game last year] Rowy isn't quite as good a goalkicker as Parker but he is perfectly capable of kicking goals - on the run and from set shots - and he can roost the ball a fair way. (Do you remember that goal he scored in the ressies from 70+ metres out a few years back?)

Also, I don't agree that winning the hitouts will mean defensive pressure becomes less important. Swans gamestyle is all about pressure - I think we value it more than just about anything else and have done for at least as long as Horse has been coach but it was also a hallmark of our game in 2005/2006. Pressure footy is also footy that stands up in finals. Rowy applies pressure to the opposition better than any other player in our midfield. Parker is good, I reckon Sheldrick will be good, Mills is good but none are better than Rowy at this facet of the game.

Therefore I don't agree that the need for the type of role Rowy has been playing becomes obsolete. At most he gets to play a bit more offensively but I'll beleive it when I see it. In no way do I see Rowbottom slipping out of our side and, despite what happened with Hewett, I don't think a young player who has consecutive top 3 finishes in the B&F is about to make way for a rising star.

Rowy is clearly in our top 10 players and is young. The only reason I can imagine us letting him go is because he is an easier type of player to replace than a key position or an out and out star like Errol or Chad. And as promising as Sheldrick and Roberts and Cleary are, you can't say that any of them are better than Rowy (certainly not at this stage) and we want to have depth in this position and those players can provide that as Parker and Adams move on.

I don't understand enough about the intricacies of midfield structures etc to know what we can do better there but obviously I'm keen that we improve in that area. And you know what? So are the coaches and the club and I reckon they're all over it.

thanks for the trouble taken in both considering and replying.

I think we and everyone else are in furious agreement that our mids must get better.

I truly doubt Rowbottom will be asked to play precisely the same narrow role. I am for example curious about what he does in offensive transition.

Dont really care about those in the LG. whether he has a title or not Parker is an on field organiser and leader. I also see him as a serious threat to the opposition up forward. IMO it will also help extend Lukes career.

I personally don't see how a forward line with Parker, Heeney and Hayward could work. They're all a bit too similar in terms of being those overhead marking, goalkicking types, and none are that great pressure-wise so I'm not dropping a Wicks or someone to fit them all in either.

I personally don't see how a forward line with Parker, Heeney and Hayward could work. They're all a bit too similar in terms of being those overhead marking, goalkicking types, and none are that great pressure-wise so I'm not dropping a Wicks or someone to fit them all in either.
Sounds like Rowbottom drops out for Sheldrick if Parker stays inside on ball.

I think Thursday will be the day for experiments. With the VFL quarters to follow immediately after players could get a run in both.
vs Brisbane will be the Rd 0 team or very, very close. At most one or two positions in doubt. VFL is before.
Yes but players who do well in this week's trial will get a go in next week's on the extended bench. Just like Papley in 2016 where he impressed big time against GWS kicking 4 goals in a huge loss after an Intra the week before where he kicked 3 in a quarter. I saw that Intra & knew hd was a star in the making

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Parker is a wonderful crumber.

Yes but players who do well in this week's trial will get a go in next week's on the extended bench. Just like Papley in 2016 where he impressed big time against GWS kicking 4 goals in a huge loss after an Intra the week before where he kicked 3 in a quarter. I saw that Intra & knew hd was a star in the making

Not mutually exclusive.

Parker is too immobile to be a permanent forward anyway. I think he should be floated more this year because of our depth but he's our best clearance player by quite some margin.

Parker is too immobile to be a permanent forward anyway. I think he should be floated more this year because of our depth but he's our best clearance player by quite some margin.

He was also a big reason our midfield was poor last year, needless bombing it forward. He's still a mid if played on the HFF

Not sure if this is the right place for a Fantasy Footy question, but can anyone advise me on taking Taylor Adams or Braeden Campbell in my midfield, please? Campbell is 100k cheaper...

Please delete if I'm in the wrong thread! :thumbsu:

He was also a big reason our midfield was poor last year, needless bombing it forward. He's still a mid if played on the HFF
This is my biggest gripe with the way he plays. He does a lot of kicking and hoping. Lots of hack kicks and just shoving it on the boot. No point getting the ball just to slam it on the boot.

Not sure if this is the right place for a Fantasy Footy question, but can anyone advise me on taking Taylor Adams or Braeden Campbell in my midfield, please? Campbell is 100k cheaper...

Adams should be a starting inside mid

Campbell is one of about 4 guys fighting for a wing/int position. Whilst we believe he should be a starter and improve, he would be one of the first mids to be taken out if someone else is performing

Avoid Campbell, he's always an ordinary choice for that game, doesn't get the ball near enough. Adams will be solid he'd playing mid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back