Autopsy QF 2019 - Pies d Cats by 10 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone have a stats snapshot for 1.5 quarters into the match? So many improved after then but at that early stage more than 10 players had like 3 touches or less, or no tackles. That snapshot would be enlightening because by the end many padded things out.

"We just mucked up the weather." Chris Scott on the Rhys Stanley decision

Hahaha
Presser
Be great if just said, "I scrwed up on the weather, had i checked google that said there was a 10% chance of rain, I would have played Stanley, am sorry Cats fans"

Instead, we lost Duncan so we had a an extra mid, Grundy was not influential according to the numbers"

Grow a ball, fess up and get your head out of your ego and take responsibility

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Oh please stop it. We started it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
And here is Fox Footy with a brand new article on the issue that they published at 11:30pm - an hour or so after the game:

“We’ve said our piece. It’s clear and I’m not going to say it again,” Scott said after the game on Friday night.

The Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph reports the AFL will confirm the fixture details after Saturday’s two finals, but says it’s not quite a fait accompli.

“Everyone’s just presumed, because this game was always going to have a 90,000-plus crowd, that the next game in a semi-final would be at the MCG. The AFL has not clarified that yet,” he said on Fox Footy.

“I spoke to them today, the finals fixture for the semi-finals will be out late tomorrow night.

“If I was Brian Cook, I’d be calling Gill McLachlan at 7AM tomorrow morning saying we demand to play at GMHBA Stadium.”

Another media driven article about the issue, and if anyone from the club did act in the manner as suggested Cook should do, how many would be complaining about the clubs sense of entitlement & such?

No win situation for Scott & the club regardless of how they act or what they say

Everybody is hurting but Tonight was predictable.
NOBODY here has given any credit to the Pies whose pressure, speed, tackling and irrepressibility was top shelf.
That was always going to be the difference. Collingwood smashed the near unbeatable Tigers 12m ago, and you talk about tonight like it was appalling.
We hit a team that is GF worthy, and we are just top 8 worthy.
The flattering 11-1 has got so many posters sucked in, yet any mention of the subsequent 5-5 form, and that's just too negative to bring up!!
The players that made an early difference for us this season- Rohan, Clark, Dahlhaus, Atkins, Miers- were either absent or poor.
CS had no impact on the players who missed gettable goals all night, or their slowness, or the fact that GAJ looked worse than his form in this game 12m ago. Pies ran out of a bench tonight, did not score in the last Q, and we were never too far away to keep them on their toes.
Not playing Stanley, I was and am spewing about it, but we would have been a mid down. Missing Guthrie and Duncan tonight was damaging.
The worrying issue is that we have no great confidence- inspiring inclusions for next week. Stanley and Guthrie walk back in I hope, but who of quality replaces Rohan? Not that Rohan has resembled anything near quality these last 3 months..
We are very middle of the road, and to expect better results with the list we have is delusional.
Danger and Stewart are absolute quality A graders.
Blicavs is a tireless battler.
Henry is going to be a player, as is Sav.
Kolo has lost some of his early season sparkle, as has MOC.
Kelly is "Standing in the corner looking over at the Jack of Hearts"
GAJ is finished after this season. Both Selwoods are very nearby. Hawkins, Taylor and Hendo are as well.
Our punishment for losing tonight is to face the other 2018 GF team next week. Anybody really believe we are good enough to win that? And so the CS thread will run into epic overload proportions next week after a straight sets exit, and of course, he will cop the abuse and blame.
Great post, I for one hope we don't run into you guys again, we played great football tonight, you guys didnt and only went down by a couple of kicks.

I feel like Scott never gave you guys a chance.

Stanley should have played rain, hail or moonshine.

Playing a near 18 man flood in 2019 with the players on your list is mind boggling. Floods are what developing young sides employ to learn the basics of team defence.

Not a hardened, experienced Finals aspirant.

Not sure what the thinking was there. Better luck for next week I guess. Surely Stanley comes in to tackle NicNat.

Does it, though?

I’m not sure I agree.
It does. In midfield and up forward.
We smoke them in defence though.

I’d take their small forwards over ours. Their mids over ours, and their ruck over ours.

You are full of sh!t Chris Scott! Took no responsibility for a totally f’ed performance. F you Scott :mad: :mad: :mad:

I actually thought his press conference was pretty spot on. He admitted in good weather Stanley should of played at least twice.

He confirmed geelongs kick mark slow play statistical measure will continue.

Confirmed Mitch Duncan is no chance with a medial basically end of 2019.

Confirmed he has no idea what happens after a bye or the first quarter in a final.

Geelong is one of the most consistent finals teams to predict. If I didn't support this club I just back them to lose the first half & Lose match.

Super frustrating for all involved but we need to butter up for next week as sad and difficult it is right now.

Stanley, Guthrie and I'm going to throw constable into the mix because hey the midfield was terrible.

I suspect Gary Rohan is also in trouble so its actually a tricky list of ins 😂😂 bews and kolo we're ordinary but the in is Henderson haha.

Scott Selwood, Clark

Not really a lot of depth at the cattery but West Coast are beatable it will be an extremely difficult ask & will need to play 100% better than this week.

I feel like Scott never gave you guys a chance.

Stanley should have played rain, hail or moonshine.

Playing a near 18 man flood in 2019 with the players on your list is mind boggling. Floods are what developing young sides employ to learn the basics of team defence.

Not a hardened, experienced Finals aspirant.

Not sure what the thinking was there. Better luck for next week I guess. Surely Stanley comes in to tackle NicNat.

The pies flooded beautifully tonight. That’s what happens if you move the ball at a snail’s pace. At times it looked like there were 36 players in the cats forward line.

So disappointing and yet so predictable - Sort of a finals version of ‘Ground Hog Day’ (including the responses at the post match Pressers).

The common elements -

- the focus at beginning of all our games (including H&A) usually to settle into our zone game, static movement from defence. It works well on the narrow Kardinia park and against weaker or sides that aren’t switched on but is hugely susceptible to sustained pressure and running and big dominant rucks. Also is a problem after byes because the opposition pressure mids and runners are rested and can give 150%.
- our poor foot skills (with only a couple of exceptions) mean we struggle to control ball movement, whereas opposition with good footskills can back themselves to move the ball laterally or hit up passes to work through zones (at times tonight Collingwood made this look like a training drill). Big problem for us on bigger ovals.
- to be brutally honest - we have lots of B graders and lack A graders - we need at minimum a ruck, contested mid, outside mid (maybe two), a KPF (Hawk is definitely not A grade - he a good B grade who is capable of A grade games if he has very good support) and a crumbing forward.

I had Cats finishing 7 to 12 this year pretty much on the basis of above. Fantastic accuracy and a golden run of uninjured form by Rohan, Atkins and Dalh, helped by some opposition injuries meant we possibly ‘over performed’ in Rounds 1-11.

We still have a good to very good squad and can win next week if everything goes right. Even a GF is possible (although really, would rely on some average performances by oppositions) but to become a dominant finals force again, we are going to have to recruit really, really well in the next two years.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Off the held up train freaking exhausted. Everything game wise has been said here, and more.
Not microwaving because stupid is as stupid does, and refuse to believe our players could ever be so dumb and unskilled again- until the next chance is over.
However I swear will never attend another vs Collingwood game as long as I live. Pies were too good, but.....Their supporters uphold the bottom of the gene pool, football ignoramuses and football fanatics (not football supporters) who constantly scream for frees, and against anything we get. Savage, their noise for us at kicking a point was twice as loud as ours for a goal. Couldn't follow a thing, barflies constantly up and down for beer, rows standing to let them pass every minute, then back again. Total inconsiderate bogan rabid dogs. Total waste of $100 x 2.

When does it change?

2016 Preliminary Final
2017 Qualifying Final
2017 Preliminary Final
2018 Elimination Final
2019 Qualifying Final

If the opposition had the same jumpers on I genuinly cant tell these games apart?

Slow Start, last couple of goals before half time to give us hope, they kick away in the third again and we save face in the last. I have watched this movie too many times now.

Why did Stanley not play? Even if it actually was wet as soon as I heard the late change I said Collingwood are now favorites.

We looked slow tonight, this team doesn't look like premiership material, I hope tonights enough to shelve any plans on Higgins and Steven and aim to get some key position kids in.

This team is built for home and away.

How do we stop Nicnat and their midfield next week?

I didn't leave the game tonight sad, I left angry.

What changes? How do we fix this because we are 1 game away from wasting yet another opportunity!!!!!

It has been a trend at Geelong for the past 5 years so we shouldn’t be surprised about the loss. Good thing is we still have next week and if we can get over the eagles and Lions win tomorrow, we don’t need to travel throughout the final series. Scott should let the team play to their strength and enjoy footy like in the first 10 weeks. Following changes to be made:
1) Guthrie to replace Duncan
2) Constable to replace Narkle. Narkle seemed to have no idea where he should play tonight
3) Stanley in for Rohan who seems injured his hammy, and he hasn’t been the same after the bye

Team for next Friday:
Bews Blicavs Stewart
Kolo Taylor Henry
Selwood Constable Guthrie
Ablett Sav Dahlhaus
Parfitt Hawkins Atkins
Stanley Danger Kelly
Int: Menegola MOC 2E Miers

When does it change?

2016 Preliminary Final
2017 Qualifying Final
2017 Preliminary Final
2018 Elimination Final
2019 Qualifying Final

If the opposition had the same jumpers on I genuinly cant tell these games apart?

Slow Start, last couple of goals before half time to give us hope, they kick away in the third again and we save face in the last. I have watched this movie too many times now.

Why did Stanley not play? Even if it actually was wet as soon as I heard the late change I said Collingwood are now favorites.

We looked slow tonight, this team doesn't look like premiership material, I hope tonights enough to shelve any plans on Higgins and Steven and aim to get some key position kids in.

This team is built for home and away.

How do we stop Nicnat and their midfield next week?

I didn't leave the game tonight sad, I left angry.

What changes?
How do we fix this because we are 1 game away from wasting yet another opportunity!!!!!

I'm assuming it will be Stanley and Guthrie for Duncan and Rohan due to injury.

Was the least I’ve ever worried about a final.
Reason being we are terrible off a bye and winning would’ve only given us another one with a likely horrible start.
Coming back and winning would’ve just hid the pain until we got smacked early in a prelim.

Now we play 2nd week up after a bye where we rarely lose and West Coast are severely overrated this year.
Beating up on Essendon isn’t that impressive and like Port, hawks and even we showed earlier this year there is a clear way to beat them.

I’m confident we will be more switched on next week and back in the same position as we would’ve been if we won tonight but with the advantage of not having had a bye.

If we can’t beat West Coast than I might well and truly melt but until than whilst I’m bloody annoyed nothing has been fixed regarding byes, I don’t feel all that bad.

Except Scott and his absolute muppetness dropping Stanley late.
Me and my mate were looking at the radar before teams come out and there was no rain on the way.
2 absolute amateurs like us knew it, how the hell are the club making inept weather decisions?
I’m getting annoyed typing this but I was calm haha.

There is still time. It’s still 3 more matches we have to win and I doubt we play that badly again.

I'm assuming it will be Stanley and Guthrie for Duncan and Rohan due to injury.

I actually am going into next week with no hope of us winning, Ablett and Selwood looked slow tonight, I cant see how we stop their midfield and Nic Nat is going to destroy Stanley.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy QF 2019 - Pies d Cats by 10 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back