Autopsy QF 2019 - Pies d Cats by 10 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with pretty much all of those observations. I'd also add, Ratagolea flying for 20 marking contests and clunking none of them - CHECK!

Nah, he took that good grab in a small pack after half time (I think).

Clunking is ideal, but his crashing of the pack is better than Hawkins, who doesn't do it.

At least it gives our smalls a chance.

Scott gave Sav and Hawkins absolutely ZERO chance with the way he has the team moving the ball. A snail could get to the I50 quicker. You see opposition mids etc running past our slow kicking mark and prop hesitating players, heading for our forward line. Our I50 is always packed.

Scott has the most unsure defensive frightened coaching method I have ever seen at Geelong. Like Ross Lyon. He grinds players into the dust. At the start of the season Rohan and Dahluas were attacking defensive players. Now they are 110 percent defensive. Chase tackle is just about ALL they do.

TOM AKTINS. Scott has killed him. Atkinds came into this side as a predominently tackle machine with some other skills. Where are those other skills today? Gone. He had a bit of flair about him. Not any more. Defense, defence, tackle tackle. He is on his way out, unfortunately.

Meranwhile, after 4 seasons, Dangerfield still can't hit a team-mate on the run. Out of the centre bounce, on the run is Dangerfield's signature. Kick a goal Danger. Forget about lace up.
Think it's more the case that he just couldn't handle the heat, tonight showed why he took so long to get picked up.

Maybe the club needs to be asking to play more MCG matches in the back end of the season

Before the bye we had 4 games at the MCG

Since the bye it's been 1 game at the MCG & it was an afternoon game at that.

The AFL isn't going to give us 11 games at KP, so when it comes to MCG games maybe we need to push to have more at the back end of the season and also at night - that's where Victorian finals are played, so surely that's the a better option for being prepared to play in similar conditions

Lack of outside run killed us tonight, we got absolutely slaughtered on the outside, Ruckman doesn't affect any of that.

Disagree. If the ruck is giving it on a platter to the spreading player, the opposition outside players get sucked into the contest, leaving players free on the outside.

That's how it was done all night.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

It's possible for a few different strands of thought to be true with Hawkins.

Was he solely to blame for tonight's loss? Of course not.
Does the game plan help him? Absolutely not.
Should an experienced gun full forward have three goalless weeks in succession? No.
Are we entitled to expect better output in September? Yes.

Something along those lines.

This is perfectly put and basically reflects my own feelings on the matter.

I don't see anyone excusing the game plan or suggesting the mids were brilliant. Both are worthy targets for criticism and frustration. But Hawkins should have been better regardless. He has to shoulder at least a portion of the blame for his continued failures in September. The excuse-making for him needs to stop.

If Cooks listens to fans then he should be getting this loud and clear .... If he listens to dollars then everyone who gos to the games from now on is to blame for this ..becuase it just lets the good times roll ..as long as we can win games thru the year ..who reall care if Nanna and grandad have saved for months the finals ticket and they give them something like tonight .. as long I keep the in house club happy all is good.

The ongoing media interviews, the ongoing complaining , the ongoing bye excuses, the ongoing finals performances .... just keep feeding the bananas to the monkeys...
Everybody is hurting but Tonight was predictable.
NOBODY here has given any credit to the Pies whose pressure, speed, tackling and irrepressibility was top shelf.
That was always going to be the difference. Collingwood smashed the near unbeatable Tigers 12m ago, and you talk about tonight like it was appalling.
We hit a team that is GF worthy, and we are just top 8 worthy.
The flattering 11-1 has got so many posters sucked in, yet any mention of the subsequent 5-5 form, and that's just too negative to bring up!!
The players that made an early difference for us this season- Rohan, Clark, Dahlhaus, Atkins, Miers- were either absent or poor.
CS had no impact on the players who missed gettable goals all night, or their slowness, or the fact that GAJ looked worse than his form in this game 12m ago. Pies ran out of a bench tonight, did not score in the last Q, and we were never too far away to keep them on their toes.
Not playing Stanley, I was and am spewing about it, but we would have been a mid down. Missing Guthrie and Duncan tonight was damaging.
The worrying issue is that we have no great confidence- inspiring inclusions for next week. Stanley and Guthrie walk back in I hope, but who of quality replaces Rohan? Not that Rohan has resembled anything near quality these last 3 months..
We are very middle of the road, and to expect better results with the list we have is delusional.
Danger and Stewart are absolute quality A graders.
Blicavs is a tireless battler.
Henry is going to be a player, as is Sav.
Kolo has lost some of his early season sparkle, as has MOC.
Kelly is "Standing in the corner looking over at the Jack of Hearts"
GAJ is finished after this season. Both Selwoods are very nearby. Hawkins, Taylor and Hendo are as well.
Our punishment for losing tonight is to face the other 2018 GF team next week. Anybody really believe we are good enough to win that? And so the CS thread will run into epic overload proportions next week after a straight sets exit, and of course, he will cop the abuse and blame.

I thought Chapman starting as sub in his 250th in a QF was our worst match committee decision ever.

Then I thought Hawkins being a late withdrawal from the same game, after we’d played him injured all season, was our worst match committee decision ever.

Then I thought that dropping Dan Menzel for a QF and replacing him with Zach Guthrie was our worst match committee decision ever.

I stand corrected.

Dropping Rhys Stanley from the 2019 QF is the worst match committee decision this club has ever made.

Slow clap, Geelong

The absolute truth.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe the club needs to be asking to play more MCG matches in the back end of the season

Before the bye we had 4 games at the MCG

Since the bye it's been 1 game at the MCG & it was an afternoon game at that.

The AFL isn't going to give us 11 games at KP, so when it comes to MCG games maybe we need to push to have more at the back end of the season and also at night - that's where Victorian finals are played, so surely that's the a better option for being prepared to play in similar conditions
Spot on.
Although I seriously believe finals will be far from a certainty next year.

I think we could make strong arguments as to why each one was the worst.

Listing them does highlight a theme, however, and that is that even when finishing high on the ladder, we keep coming into finals being uncertain of what key pieces of our best side in terms of structure and personnel should be. Drop your only rucks capable of performing to move your FB into the ruck, move one of your KPDs to the forward line, drop your second highest goal scorer because you're suddenly worried about speed... You shouldn't have to make changes this integral to the composition and functioning of the team so close to the finals so often.

If I may, I'll give you a variation on your theme.

Scott seems to have complete contempt not just for our ruckmen (which is bad enough), but absolute ignorance about the ability of quality opposition ruckmen to influence games. We've seen this firsthand - putting Blicavs up against Sandilands in 2013, then the following year against Goldstein in 2014. He recruits two ready made ruckmen in Stanley and Smith, and basically drops them and then forgets about them every chance he gets. In that time we've developed exactly zero genuine ruckmen. Then after all that time (it's now six full seasons after the Fremantle disaster), he drops Stanley when we're facing Grundy, and seems continually stunned that ruckmen can actually help teams win games. Pretty impressive brainlessness when you think about it.

Maybe a tall kid took his lunch money at school. Expensive lesson for the club now.

One thing I did find interesting is I don't remember an AFL side self-spoiling like this in a match. I mean flying for a ball someone else is about to mark, or knocking a ground ball out of a team mates hands as they were about to pick it up. Even applied a number of body checks/spoils. It looked like there was no talk or communication out there. That gives a team such a degree of disorganisation, such a lack of cohesiveness - that Collingwood exposed relentlessly to gain territory and set up scoring chains. They almost sat off contests and waited for Geelong players to wipe each other out. Smart footy by the Pies.

Nah, he took that good grab in a small pack after half time (I think).

Clunking is ideal, but his crashing of the pack is better than Hawkins, who doesn't do it.

At least it gives our smalls a chance.

Yeah I get that but his clunk quota was down tonight and in many contests he misjudged the flight and got caught under the ball. Still good signs for the future but tonight was poor, like many of his teammates

Scott has to accept accountability. Our record in the finals is pathetic and they do not recognise this. Straight sets coming up for the umpteenth time.

Cook did say we had to stay competitive to drive profits but surely not to the detriment of the brand. The MC and coach must be replaced. In their wisdom Scott is signed on for 3 more years. We are locked into mediocrity unless they pay him out. We have a defensive coaching structure and it shows. We play with no intensity, no heart, and no leadership. Defensive nervous boring game style with no intensity that does not stand up. Collingwood underdone, more injuries, we had a greater team selection to pick from and got beat. In order to improve we need change.

Cook and Carter must make changes or we are destined to failure. History repeats itself and you can-not argue with this. Last minor premier to go out in straight sets was 1983... here we come.

In his press conference ‘Straight Sets” Scott said:

• we were on top from the 14min mark of first quarter. 10 to 0 inside 50’s shows how the team was prepared. He must have been watching another game we never were in it. As usual 10 min in and we are out of it.
  • he reserves his judgement on Grundys impact, really! 48 hitouts and 21 possies.
  • we are the 18th side for playing on....too slow the game plan does not work. We get scored against too easily and do not take the game on.
  • Scott admitted they made the wrong call re Stanley and made no change? The players play out of position.
He has lost me and the vast majority of the members.

MOVING FORWARD
  • We have no forward structure what so ever. Hawkins is useless. Sav has done nothing. Try something.....anything eg. Henry / Menegola in the forward line.
  • Taylor, Ablett, Selwood (both of them), Hawkins must retire for us to move forward.
  • No more 30 year old’s to be drafted please lets draft youth

OUT:

Scott (most importantly please consider leaving)
Rohan (out Hammy)
Duncan (another defender will replace him I guess)
Hawkins (out please, he is useless, useless...missed gettable goals all night and finals choker)
Sav (will produce nothing!)
Atkins (not enough)
Kolo (too nervous)
Dahl (he has trouble kicking 30m so why play him?)
Touhy (if he stays in pay him forward, very ordinary...)

IN:
Stanley or Fort (FFS)
Constable (before he leaves, at least he can get the ball)
Guthrie (need his run)
Clark (need run if fit)
Henderson (in for Kolo)
Selwood
Parsons
Simpson
Abbott
Fort
Buzza

we will get pumped so why not give these guys ago.
P.S. Very disappointed with our forward structure, the MC and more particularly our Coach

Everybody is hurting but Tonight was predictable.
NOBODY here has given any credit to the Pies whose pressure, speed, tackling and irrepressibility was top shelf.
That was always going to be the difference. Collingwood smashed the near unbeatable Tigers 12m ago, and you talk about tonight like it was appalling.
We hit a team that is GF worthy, and we are just top 8 worthy.
The flattering 11-1 has got so many posters sucked in, yet any mention of the subsequent 5-5 form, and that's just too negative to bring up!!
The players that made an early difference for us this season- Rohan, Clark, Dahlhaus, Atkins, Miers- were either absent or poor.
CS had no impact on the players who missed gettable goals all night, or their slowness, or the fact that GAJ looked worse than his form in this game 12m ago. Pies ran out of a bench tonight, did not score in the last Q, and we were never too far away to keep them on their toes.
Not playing Stanley, I was and am spewing about it, but we would have been a mid down. Missing Guthrie and Duncan tonight was damaging.
The worrying issue is that we have no great confidence- inspiring inclusions for next week. Stanley and Guthrie walk back in I hope, but who of quality replaces Rohan? Not that Rohan has resembled anything near quality these last 3 months..
We are very middle of the road, and to expect better results with the list we have is delusional.
Danger and Stewart are absolute quality A graders.
Blicavs is a tireless battler.
Henry is going to be a player, as is Sav.
Kolo has lost some of his early season sparkle, as has MOC.
Kelly is "Standing in the corner looking over at the Jack of Hearts"
GAJ is finished after this season. Both Selwoods are very nearby. Hawkins, Taylor and Hendo are as well.
Our punishment for losing tonight is to face the other 2018 GF team next week. Anybody really believe we are good enough to win that? And so the CS thread will run into epic overload proportions next week after a straight sets exit, and of course, he will cop the abuse and blame.

Points for Dylan ref.

I dont agree we dont have the talent.. to a certain degree its like having a pretty good horse that is ridden a certain way that wins at uppercombucter west ..but when he comes to town... gets found out.

I dont agree with our method. I dont agree with the preoccupation with control ... becuase in a final under duress ..one can only play calm in rare occasions..we have to have a method that is less flimsy in finals... ..this is not news ..yet there are some ..with more footy smarts than I that are failing to heed the message..

I dont agree with the way we have added talent till recently with the draft. We missed Clarks run. The ruck issue has not been solved for a long time. Failing to bite the bullet continues to hurt us.

It's the media who's been banging on about it and still banging on about it based on them asking questions in the press conference

They are trying to create a story from it, and even when Scott responds with "I've said all I have to say on that matter", they still continue to ask

Oh please stop it. We started it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's all folks
[/QUOTE]

Thanks Cats_09 - I was wanted to hear what Scott’s excuses were but couldn’t stomach watching the presser.

You ain’t ever going to get a genuinely self critical analysis from Scott - it is contrary to his DNA. To be fair to him, it is pretty much the mandatory playbook in sporting, political pressers to admit to very little and talk up the positives.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy QF 2019 - Pies d Cats by 10 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back