Autopsy QF 2019 - Pies d Cats by 10 points

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the issue with this club is that it keeps doing the same shit over and over and always thinking that there will be a different outcome

I’m going to take the same advice as I’ll give in this case, make some changes

I would honestly just drop the seniors next week and play the kids, they had their time and failed...it has to be about the next generation now

As for myself I won’t be investing emotionally or financially in the club anymore ...the club loves us when it’s all roses and sunshine but treats us with contempt when we ask the hard question

It’s finally dawned on me it’s just a business and there’s no love for us from the club or from the AFL

Maybe the club needs to be asking to play more MCG matches in the back end of the season

Before the bye we had 4 games at the MCG

Since the bye it's been 1 game at the MCG & it was an afternoon game at that.

The AFL isn't going to give us 11 games at KP, so when it comes to MCG games maybe we need to push to have more at the back end of the season and also at night - that's where Victorian finals are played, so surely that's the a better option for being prepared to play in similar conditions

Stop it. It’s not the MCG.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What about the senior blokes? Hawkins and Ablett should hang their heads in shame.
To be fair, there is only so much a forward can do when getting limited entries. On top of that, when we get an entry , it's bombed super high to give the opposition defender the best chance to spoil.

One thing I did find interesting is I don't remember an AFL side self-spoiling like this in a match. I mean flying for a ball someone else is about to mark, or knocking a ground ball out of a team mates hands as they were about to pick it up. Even applied a number of body checks/spoils. It looked like there was no talk or communication out there. That gives a team such a degree of disorganisation, such a lack of cohesiveness - that Collingwood exposed relentlessly to gain territory and set up scoring chains. They almost sat off contests and waited for Geelong players to wipe each other out. Smart footy by the Pies.

Was about to post this exact same observation. You're spot on, it was bizarre. Often we had 2 on 2 situations where both Cats would fly for the ball against one Pie and the contest would be split with both Cats going to ground and the ball spilling in the direction of the one Collingwood player not involved in the aerial contest who, being the only one at the foot of the contest, would be free to run goalward unimpeded.

It was definitely, as you say, a lack of communication but I also put it down to an inability to cope with the occasion. O'Connor especially looked really panicked at times and didn't seem to be thinking clearly, which probably led to some of the self-spoiling moments.

To be fair, there is only so much a forward can do when getting limited entries. On top of that, when we get an entry , it's bombed super high to give the opposition defender the best chance to spoil.
Hawkins had many chances and blew them all. Easy marks, easy shots and delivered nothing. Finals liability

Maybe the club needs to be asking to play more MCG matches in the back end of the season

Before the bye we had 4 games at the MCG

Since the bye it's been 1 game at the MCG & it was an afternoon game at that.

The AFL isn't going to give us 11 games at KP, so when it comes to MCG games maybe we need to push to have more at the back end of the season and also at night - that's where Victorian finals are played, so surely that's the a better option for being prepared to play in similar conditions

As an Swans supporter I feel let down by anyone who lets Collingwood win. As I have a soft spot for Geelong I feel it even more but you guys must feel pretty bad. I think Geelong were stiff to be forced to play their home final at Collingwood's home ground. How the heck does that work ?

The poor start was what cost you the game. They came out hard but after half time you were by far the dominant side and came home hard with a wet sail. If a couple of chances had gone the other way you'd have still pulled it off.

I'm hoping that the poor start will be the wake up call your players need to get them focused from the first bounce. It's going to be hard from here but you're still in the hunt.

I'm reminded of the Sydney-West Coast qualifying final in 2005 where the Swans lost the QF against WC but won the GF against them in a re-match. Getting to the GF the long away round has its advantages. Your club has a poor record coming off a bye so missing the week off may be a blessing.

I have every faith in Geelong. I think you can find the same spirit that saw the team dominate much of the H&A season. I hope you do get to meet Collingwood in the GF and beat them. It'll be worth it just to watch Eddie McGuire's face. Best of luck.

As an Swans supporter I feel let down by anyone who lets Collingwood win. As I have a soft spot for Geelong I feel it even more but you guys must feel pretty bad. I think Geelong were stiff to be forced to play their home final at Collingwood's home ground. How the heck does that work ?

The poor start was what cost you the game. They came out hard but after half time you were by far the dominant side and came home hard with a wet sail. If a couple of chances had gone the other way you'd have still pulled it off.

I'm hoping that the poor start will be the wake up call your players need to get them focused from the first bounce. It's going to be hard from here but you're still in the hunt.

I'm reminded of the Sydney-West Coast qualifying final in 2005 where the Swans lost the QF against WC but won the GF against them in a re-match. Getting to the GF the long away round has its advantages. Your club has a poor record coming off a bye so missing the week off may be a blessing.

I have every faith in Geelong. I think you can find the same spirit that saw the team dominate much of the H&A season. I hope you do get to meet Collingwood in the GF and beat them. It'll be worth it just to watch Eddie McGuire's face. Best of luck.
Just what we need more fake sympathy

I'm not as morose as most. The Collingwood talent runs much deeper than ours. So to hold our own in many of the key stats, be forced to open with Bews who was hampered by the pre- game injury and lose an important ball winner and user early on and to still get to within a couple of kicks is not an effort without some merit.

Clearly our starts are a major concern and the decision to leave out Stanley was an error. We've also made it hard for ourselves but we have a record of bouncing back after a poor game.

Onward and upward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not as morose as most. The Collingwood talent runs much deeper than ours. So to hold our own in many of the key stats, be forced to open with Bews who was hampered by the pre- game injury and lose an important ball winner and user early on and to still get to within a couple of kicks is not an effort without some merit.

Clearly our starts are a major concern and the decision to leave out Stanley was an error. We've also made it hard for ourselves but we have a record of bouncing back after a poor game.

Onward and upward.

Yep. What else is there to do 😂?

The fresh taste of defeat will do the boys a world of good. The pre-finals bye works in our favour as we are no longer fatigued from the regular season.

Being knocked down is f*cking good when you can actually get back up on your feet.

Not one team ever gets the flag by deserving it. You have to earn it.

Time for the cats to get to work.

Yep. What else is there to do 😂?

The fresh taste of defeat will do the boys a world of good. The pre-finals bye works in our favour as we are no longer fatigued from the regular season.

Being knocked down is f*cking good when you can actually get back up on your feet.

Not one team ever gets the flag by deserving it. You have to earn it.

Time for the cats to get to work.
We all thought that last year

And the year before that

And before that

Defeat does nothing for these guys

Parfitt yes, Narkle no. Not ready yet. Deer in headlights with ball in hand and would have had 30 possessions if not for fumbles. But he has an excuse.

When I say what I did about Narkle it's not about what he was able to do so much as I don't think he once dropped his head or failed to compete.

Rough edges/deer in headlights/fumbly is all a bit whatever to me right now. Players like them who leave their guts visibly out on the field are the ones I find comfort in on even the darkest days.

Onward and upward.

I am also not morose as most, mainly because I was watching with friends so the loss was cushioned by good company but leaving Stanley out wasn't an error. Leaving our only decent ruckman out of a final against the league's 2nd best ruck might be the dumbest piece of selection nonsense I've ever witnessed. And I normally defend Scott.

When I say what I did about Narkle it's not about what he was able to do so much as I don't think he once dropped his head or failed to compete.

Rough edges/deer in headlights/fumbly is all a bit whatever to me right now. Players like them who leave their guts visibly out on the field are the ones I find comfort in on even the darkest days.
Ah yep I know what you mean now. He kept presenting at the next one even after previous mishaps. Better than a "I'm going to hide for a while" approach.

Atkins copped a bit here but I thought he was the same. Ineffective quite often but got the pill 20 odd times and chased opposition players hard.

I thought first half marking/chasing by all was hopeless. It got so much better in the second half. They almost needed to wait a while until they could energise. So weird to watch. The ball movement style mostly stayed the same. What they did without the ball clearly changed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy QF 2019 - Pies d Cats by 10 points

Remove this Banner Ad

Back