Qld Queensland State Election 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I think only systems that don't have full preferential voting are various upper chambers such as the Senate with a combination of partial preferential voting and proportional representation? Queensland doesn't have an upper chamber.

One benefit to moving away from full preferential voting is that it means more votes counted where a voter has a clear preference but has failed to fill in a ballot correctly. And as a general role more inclusive voting rules could be considered 'better' or 'fairer'.

But can't imagine it's an altruistic angle so there must be some benefit to the LNP in there somewhere... probably because of a lot of seats where Green votes flow to ALP or vice-versa to get over the LNP; if some of those Greens and ALP voters voted "1" for their party but didn't put a preference for the other ahead of LNP, that's a win for the LNP.

Equally true for any right-wing minor party preference flows into LNP... but realistically the Greens/ALP situation is the most significant source of meaningful preference flow in the country.
Especially since he also wants to make voting non-compulsory. That would make us more like the US, an electoral system nobody should copy.

The Coalition is obsessed with copying anything American, so naturally they want to Americanise our voting system.

I think they also want to stop people giving their primary vote to a minor far-right party but being too stupid to preference the LNP over Labor. That is, they want to exercise their right to vote for a far-right non-LNP party, clearly prefer the LNP over Labor, but are dumbarses and put Labor at (say) number 3 and LNP at number 4.

If said dumbarse has optional preferential, they might just think 'LNP will win this seat anyway and Layba is bad so I better vote LNP'.

Remove this Banner Ad

Qld Queensland State Election 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back