Remove this Banner Ad

4 weeks for Rankine

Fines for Laird, Keays and Keane

4? . . . WEEKS!? 😲

Oh well, helloo... pick 4

tenor-com-oh-no-oh-no-anyway-gif-18887547-e-gif.1259096

"Aspiring sports journalist..."

Best start working on that Plan B

I watched his "tearful apology" and had two immediate thoughts. First, he seems primarily upset that his dream to be a sports journalist is in jeopardy, rather than the impact of his words. Second, he does not have the voice for radio journalism of any kind.

If he is genuine about being sorry for what he did, he might want to start to actually acknowledging what was hurtful about his comments, and secondly, maybe stay off the booze for a while if that's how he acts when he's on it.

And I don't mean to sound cruel, because it's not like I'm some vision of physical perfection or anything... but for a 25 year old he looks like he's in his mid 40s.

These days you just disappear for a year and then you're good to go.

Like with Tom Morris
Pretty hard to hide from a racist comment.
I can't imagine I'd want to be him.
He will forever be known for this - so for his sake I hope he has family to make something of his life. Don't want to speculate but he doesn't look like a well person.

On what basis? Rankine opted to bump. The head clash may not have been intended, but it was a foreseeable outcome of the bump. The decision to bump was intentional (even if the head clash was not). They clashed heads, so that's high contact. The player was subbed out, and will miss next week, so that's severe impact.
How much does Kingy get for his utter hypocrisy? Nothing I love more than seeing a 90s footballer take the moral high ground on modern day incidents after being one of the dirtiest behind play snipers in the game. One of his bumps was on Williams who not only had disposed of the ball well before the incident but he jumped into his head to bump him deliberately. Yet he has the gall to attack Rankine. Bertween him and Derm im not sure if any players back then put more players in the hospital than those too.

I think 2 weeks would've been reasonable - 4 seems excessive for such a simple act; not like he launched into him.

Absolutely agree with your scragging comment; the AFL allows situations like this occur by allowing players to scrag and pester all day, without any umpire intervention - and then this shit happens.

30 years ago the scragger would get belted by his targets teammates, and he'd either stop, or get belted again - I'm definitely not suggesting a return to that, but they have removed that retribution, without replacing it by umpire intervention.

The interpretation I don’t get is that umpires will call frees for arms around a forward when the ball is being kicked in but won’t call it when taggers from all sides do it at stoppages and the taggers don’t even face the ball.

I’m pretty sure there’s similar impediment occurring. I get that it would then be a whistle fest however but the difference in interpretation irks me.

As an aside, I can’t understand why Georgiades got one and Rankine gets badly rolled by the AfL with four. Surely they’re both intentional acts resulting in accidental damage?

The interpretation I don’t get is that umpires will call frees for arms around a forward when the ball is being kicked in but won’t call it when taggers from all sides do it at stoppages and the taggers don’t even face the ball.

I’m pretty sure there’s similar impediment occurring. I get that it would then be a whistle fest however but the difference in interpretation irks me.

It would be a whistle fest for about two weeks before players realised "oh right, I can't get away with scragging my opponent at stoppages anymore" and then it would stop.

Freo also came 14th last year....

Correct. And 5th in 2022.

I think during a rebuild there's the idea that the progression is constantly on the up, but I think a few things have happened this year, which is just a blip on the radar.

Disagree. I think this is what you want to argue against - but isn't what the majority are upset with.

My biggest issue is that we haven't had an up. We have had 3 wins, 7 wins, 8 wins, 11 wins, and now likely 7wins.

11 wins is his peak (from a 23 game season, no less). 11 wins got Sando fired. 10 wins saw Pyke ran out of town.

Correct. And 5th in 2022.

Disagree. I think this is what you want to argue against - but isn't what the majority are upset with.

My biggest issue is that we haven't had an up. We have had 3 wins, 7 wins, 8 wins, 11 wins, and now likely 7wins.

11 wins is his peak (from a 23 game season, no less). 11 wins got Sando fired. 10 wins saw Pyke ran out of town.
Yep. 2023 looks like the blip at this stage.

Weird season

We'll likely finish bottom four or maybe five but it doesn't feel like we're a basket case. We're not getting beaten up. Most games we've been 'in' at various stages, even away against good teams.

So how do you judge it?

Not far away which the club is thinking (or desperately hoping perhaps more accurately). Minor tweaks needed only plus some natural development of younger guys.

Or we have the cattle to do much better than we have, therefore off-field overhaul needed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good:
Keane, Soligo, Sholl, Berry, Dowling and Nankervis all played decent games
That handball from Zac Taylor in the 4th.
Murray getting some good game time
Playing well, St Kilda winning and going to bottom 4.
Bring Ryan and Curtin in for Saturday night, its now officially the baseball episode of South Park.

Bad:
O'Brien gets beaten by everyone in the ruck
Himmelberg took 8 marks but could have had 15
Taylor being left on the bench for 3 quarters while Murphy runs around playing a full game; its offensive to our eyes.
Laird handballing to stationary targets to pad his stats.

Ugly:
Izak Rankine deserves 4 weeks, can't be doing that stuff.
Kicking it on top of Fogartys head.
Max Michalanney getting screwed by stupid turnovers that go straight to Charlie Cameron.
McHenry being listed as the best players to replace Murphy. Sigh.

Weird season

We'll likely finish bottom four or maybe five but it doesn't feel like we're a basket case. We're not getting beaten up. Most games we've been 'in' at various stages, even away against good teams.

So how do you judge it?

Not far away which the club is thinking (or desperately hoping perhaps more accurately). Minor tweaks needed only plus some natural development of younger guys.

Or we have the cattle to do much better than we have, therefore off-field overhaul needed

I know many will disagree - but for me thats it 100%.

Last year we went 3-4 against top 4 teams and our 4 losses were by a combined 13 points.

This year a little different as we are 1-3 against top 4 teams with two smashing by Freo 35/Sydney 42.

We have had the cattle to be a top 8 team since the beginning of 2023. New head coach and watch us spike.

Last year we went 3-4 against top 4 teams and our 4 losses were by a combined 13 points.

This year a little different as we are 1-3 against top 4 teams with two smashing by Freo 35/Sydney 42.

We have had the cattle to be a top 8 team since the beginning of 2023. New head coach and watch us spike.
Thought bubble...

Is Nicks the guy?

We criticise him for defensive tactics, poor selections, needing his hand held by a new senior assistant etc.

But is he what we need? The figurehead. Can he be our Kenny, on the sidelines, driving the culture, positive vibes, fronting the media. The macro.

With the nitty gritty of the coaching/selection being left largely to the Rahillys of the coaching world. The micro.

A beefed up brainstrust
Sitting underneath the cultural architect
Allowing the coaches to coach, space to do what they do
Nicks' role more man management of the coaching staff, akin to a soccer manager

Thought bubble...

Is Nicks the guy?

We criticise him for defensive tactics, poor selections, needing his hand held by a new senior assistant etc.

But is he what we need? The figurehead. Can he be our Kenny, on the sidelines, driving the culture, positive vibes, fronting the media. The macro.

With the nitty gritty of the coaching/selection being left largely to the Rahillys of the coaching world. The micro.

A beefed up brainstrust
If Nicks was in charge of culture, would he relinquish his selection policy?

He probably believes selecting club champions no matter what is good culture

Thought bubble...

Is Nicks the guy?

A beefed up brainstrust
Gut feel but I think Nicks is too arrogant and stubborn to listen to others routinely, and it’s part of the reason we have like minded people around him.

The loss to Fremantle away was during that "revolutionary" game plan Nicks introduced early in the season, also they are a much better team than most expected and Sydney loss was someone called Amartey kicking 9 goals who unsurprisingly hasn't produced anything remotely to that so what does that tell you.........

Thought bubble...

Is Nicks the guy?

A beefed up brainstrust
I see where you’re heading but surely you need someone with good judgement to coordinate the brains trust. I don’t think Nicks is up to it. Even Pyke let Birdman’s camp go ahead.

Weird season

So how do you judge it?

Is this from 2023?

Thought bubble...

Is Nicks the guy?

A beefed up brainstrust
If it means still listening to him doing pressers - NO

Thought bubble...

Is Nicks the guy?

A beefed up brainstrust

I think it could have worked, if we did this in 2021 / 2022.

For me its been 5 seasons. Culture has been rebuilt - now we need a new direction.

Dreams of a Brad Stevens transition are just that..

I am holding hope a harsh review by Rachele/Pedlar leads to a sacking a la Sando.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R17: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Back