Preview R18: Changes vs. St. Kilda

Who do you think will replace Rankine in the 22 this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I am going Saturday to see the younger players play primarily. Max, Soligo, Dowling, Taylor, Bond etc. This season to me has long since been about finals but is now all about development

I also hope they see sense and bring in Curtin this week. No more SANFL for him please.

The classic debut to hide behind?

Too many young guys - no experience excuse.

So we play our mid level players that have experience with shape etc … but drop a debut in there.

We would be better going all in with the energy and youth - would give us supporters something to cheer.

Lose with a team that includes players like Ryan - Curtin - Edwards - Taylor - Bond - Dowling - Nankervis - Cook - Thilthorpe getting full games … and I don’t think the supporters will care about the result.

But we need to nurture our list.

But we can’t throw them to the wolves.

But we need them to earn the right to pull on the jumper.

But. But. But.

But there are only 3 teams in the league worse than us so far this year… and I wouldn’t trust this current setup to beat any of them.

But this team of players and coaches and selectors have delivered a 5 year run of:

2020 - 18th
2021 - 15th
2022 - 14th
2023 - 10th
2024 - 15th

But indeed.

It's not a fair argument, it's just a mistaken belief that the only stat which counts is accumulating disposals rather than actually impacting a game.

If you can't collect a reasonable amount of touches whilst negating a semi-pro player in the lower league, then the huge step up that we've heard about is likely going to be a massive challenge. Good luck to the kid, but blanketing an amateur player without winning possession doesn't scream AFL quality to me. Especially as a one-off, who's to say his opponent didn't play with the flu. It'll be like re-selecting McHenry off one very good SANFL game as if that can contradict dozens of crap AFL games. Hope he goes well though.

The classic debut to hide behind?

Too many young guys - no experience excuse.

So we play our mid level players that have experience with shape etc … but drop a debut in there.

We would be better going all in with the energy and youth - would give us supporters something to cheer.

Lose with a team that includes players like Ryan - Curtin - Edwards - Taylor - Bond - Dowling - Nankervis - Cook - Thilthorpe getting full games … and I don’t think the supporters will care about the result.

But we need to nurture our list.

But we can’t throw them to the wolves.

But we need them to earn the right to pull on the jumper.

But. But. But.

But there are only 3 teams in the league worse than us so far this year… and I wouldn’t trust this current setup to beat any of them.

But this team of players and coaches and selectors have delivered a 5 year run of:

2020 - 18th
2021 - 15th
2022 - 14th
2023 - 10th
2024 - 15th

But indeed.

We MUST play mediocre experience in the last couple of spots in the 23 because we're CONTENDING.
We MUST play mediocre experience in the last couple of spots in the 23 because we're REBUILDING.

He was always drafted as the Luke Brown replacement. And that’s not a sexy job. Not everyone gets to run around and chase the ball

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

No he wasn't. Hugh Bond was a inside midfield with the Rebels. He was a tackling machine. IIRC, his average was around 9 a game

Didn't start playing as a defender until he arrived at the Crows.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240711_114611_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240711_114611_Samsung Internet.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 26
In: Bond, Curtin, Pedlar

Out: Hinge, Rankine, Murphy

Bond into defence, Curtin to come in on a wing / half forward - Taylor to take Rankine's role and Smith to sub and Pedlar with busted shoulder will be better and more effective than Murphy even with 1 functioning arm

In: Bond, Curtin, Pedlar

Out
: Hinge, Rankine, Murphy

Bond into defence, Curtin to come in on a wing / half forward - Taylor to take Rankine's role and Smith to sub and Pedlar with busted shoulder will be better and more effective than Murphy even with 1 functioning arm

Luke Pedlar has been ruled out for the rest of the season. Hurt his shoulder again against CDFC last Saturday

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No he wasn't. Hugh Bond was a inside midfield with the Rebels. He was a tackling machine. IIRC, his average was around 9 a game

Didn't start playing as a defender until he arrived at the Crows.
You're only half right, Hughey played almost exclusively midfield for the Rebels but was selected to play the shutdown role by the Vic Country selectors for the Nationals obviously due to his hardness and resolute defensive pressure and bone crunching tackling.

He played all 4 Nationals games for Vic Country given the shutdown role on the opposition's best small medium forwards and absolutely blanketed them, it now appears that's what must have been what really caught the eye of our recruiters though I'd argue he showed plenty as that hard in and under mid at the Rebels that gives his all not only when in possession but just as hard when chasing and harassing.

I doubt very much Thilthorpe will be playing, he looks rusty and lacking mobility, hopefully not his added size. Plus it’s going to be a miserable wet night, hardly the ideal setting for a tall in his comeback game.

Yep, he's not ready yet. Not a surprise given the severity of the injury + the extra 5kg of muscle. Happy to keep him going in the SANFL until he's regained his agility.

I doubt very much Thilthorpe will be playing, he looks rusty and lacking mobility, hopefully not his added size. Plus it’s going to be a miserable wet night, hardly the ideal setting for a tall in his comeback game.
Himmelberg also had his best game of the season against some good key defenders last week, so would be stiff to go out if RT isn’t 100% ready yet.

Bond making his debut is always something I can get excited for and potentially the Bearded Monster coming back in, but otherwise it was slim pickings without Izak.

I am going Saturday to see the younger players play primarily. Max, Soligo, Dowling, Taylor, Bond etc. This season to me has long since been about finals but is now all about development

I also hope they see sense and bring in Curtin this week. No more SANFL for him please.

Well seeing all the youngsters play is an incentive and being able to shout at Murphy (without being abusive) will get the frustrations out of one.

Well seeing all the youngsters play is an incentive and being able to shout at Murphy (without being abusive) will get the frustrations out of one.
Also there'll be plenty of leg-room

Plus easy car parking

Short queues for food

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R18: Changes vs. St. Kilda

Back