Preview R18: Changes vs. St. Kilda

Who do you think will replace Rankine in the 22 this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I know I am a one eyed supporter, but I just am curious if there is any way we'd argue that Izak was being roughed up by BNE players and assumed Starcevich was about to steam roll him again from behind so, checked him on it.

Dunno. Probably wishful thinking.

Just sux, that first game all year my daughters want to come with me (vs Saints this week), the wanna see Rankine and he gets rubbed out.

Can anyone recall a game where Rory Laird was a clear best on ground? That one stand out game people actually remember.

I just don't see the point in persevering with him, he should have been traded years ago when he had value, now he is a list clogger, a much better list clogger than the others in Jones, Ned Murphy etc but a list clogger nonetheless.

Will always do enough to justify his spot, his stats will always look good on paper, easy for Nicks and co to defend but at what cost to our future? We need to be ruthless, we are going nowhere with him, pull the ****ing bandaid off already.

We will always be a competitive side with Laird in the team for the most part but I am over being competitive, we need to set our sights higher than that.

Laird reflects Nicks' in my opinion, both currently more concerned about self preservation than ongoing team success, not great for culture in my opinion.
Think it was Kangaroos game he got full coaches Votes.

He received 10 votes in the AFLCA Player of the Year award in R7 (vs Norf).

Having said that, he's only received AFLCA votes in 2 games this year - 10 votes vs Norf, and 4 votes vs Weagles.
and where are Norf and Weagles on the ladder? Like a number of our players, goes ok when there's no pressure

I think so, yes. In the AFL article you've linked there is footage, it shows Rankine seeing Starcevich coming, stopping, and then moving back in the direction of Starcevich. It certainly doesn't just look like bracing for impact to me.

He absolutely, and without any doubt at all, drove forward into Starcevich. No problem with him doing that, but if you get unlucky and concuss the guy, you’re going to miss weeks. Not quite the same, but the collision point reminded me of the Justin Koschiske hit where he had no idea what was around him. Starvebich didn’t know Izaak had stopped and was jogging along looking at the play unfolding.

I know I am a one eyed supporter, but I just am curious if there is any way we'd argue that Izak was being roughed up by BNE players and assumed Starcevich was about to steam roll him again from behind so, checked him on it.

Dunno. Probably wishful thinking.

Just sux, that first game all year my daughters want to come with me (vs Saints this week), the wanna see Rankine and he gets rubbed out.
We should definitely be going down that line, if he’s been targeted then he’s able to defend himself. It won’t matter though

Given the comments from Nicks post match I would be surprised to not see some changes in the line up next week. Let’s hope Taylor gets a full game as the st Kilda midfield is probably as mundane as ours presently particularly without Rankine out through suspension. Taylor once again showed except for one errant kick his quality in close with one handball in particular elite in nature

I would also hope that Murphy has some time in the reserves as we need more scoring power and class up forward. The loss of Rankine is huge and I worry with no one in the ressies knocking the house down as a small forward he will get another reprieve. Ned is a chance to replace but he frustrates me as much as Murphy

The player who most deserves promotion is Ryan who has now put together a number of weeks of high quality play off his half back flank. He provides dash and run and is a good kick. He will make mistakes but if hinge is injured he should be near the top of the queue

Also if we are looking for a long term run with player bond shaken not stirred could be our man. Playing much better football in last 4 weeks

Taylor needs to come into the starting 22 to replace Rankine, Would love to see Ryan come in if Hinge is injured, but reality is would probably be Jones. Time to bring TT in for Berg.

What I would like to see
Out - Rankine (suspended), Himmelberg, Murphy, hinge (injured)
In - Taylor, Thilthorpe, Ryan and then Jones if Hinge is out.

But in reality I don't think Murphy will be out of the starting 22, so likely changes would be
Out - Rankine, Berg and Hinge (if injured)
Ins - Taylor, TT and Jones (if Hinge is out).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, Starcevich was following Rankine, and while Starcevich was looking back at the ball, Rankine stopped in his tracks without Starcevich being aware of this, and attempted to wind Starcevich with a bump when he knew Starcevich hadn’t seen him stop running. They clashed heads during said bump.

I know people don’t like the idea of this being 3+ weeks, but it absolutely will be, and there’s no grounds for appeal. Off the ball. Chose to bump. Head contact. Player concussed and unable to return. That’s high contact and high impact. You could argue it’s intentional too but our people will argue careless.

The only notable difference between this and the Luke Parker 6 week VFL suspension is the severity of the injury. For that reason, Rankine obviously gets less than 6. If anything, Rankine’s act was far less of a “football play” than Parker, who was laying a shepherd with the ball actually in the vicinity. Less than 3 weeks is pipe dream stuff.

People dont have to like the rules, but they probably should learn them.
If it's graded careless then he gets 3 weeks, it's that simple. AFL will no doubt try go with intentional and 4 weeks, but then this gets hashed out at the tribunal lottery and once it has washed through there we come out with 3 weeks.

People can argue the specifics all they want and what the AFL rules are, but since when has that matter for the tribunal? Tribunal outcomes are based on which lawyer can argue the case better and confuse the tribunal the most. Fully expecting a good character reference to come into it since they allowed it for Charlie. This entire MRO/tribunal/appeals board system is a complete mess, AFL rules go out the window once the lawyers get involved.

In: Taylor, Smith
Out: Rankine, Ryan

Murphy gets shuffled to sub if we're unwilling to explore a tagging role, seeing he did an intriguing job on Neale in the second half - though it may have been a case of Neale just couldn't sustain the pace he was at, but I'm curious as an around the ground player. Cook gets shuffled to sub if we are.

In what world is Starcevich not aware of Rankine being there? He is literally running at him 😂

Was also within 5 metres of the contest, so is that technically in play or off the ball?

They were running same direction together. Rankine stops, sets himself and drives his shoulder into Starcevich. Who is watching the play at the time. Not sure the 5m, looked a lot further away than that.

Yep, Starcevich was following Rankine, and while Starcevich was looking back at the ball, Rankine stopped in his tracks without Starcevich being aware of this, and attempted to wind Starcevich with a bump when he knew Starcevich hadn’t seen him stop running. They clashed heads during said bump.

I know people don’t like the idea of this being 3+ weeks, but it absolutely will be, and there’s no grounds for appeal. Off the ball. Chose to bump. Head contact. Player concussed and unable to return. That’s high contact and high impact. You could argue it’s intentional too but our people will argue careless.

The only notable difference between this and the Luke Parker 6 week VFL suspension is the severity of the injury. For that reason, Rankine obviously gets less than 6. If anything, Rankine’s act was far less of a “football play” than Parker, who was laying a shepherd with the ball actually in the vicinity. Less than 3 weeks is pipe dream stuff.

People dont have to like the rules, but they probably should learn them.

Not even sure it’s about knowledge of the rules. They’re seeing things occurring in a way that just didn’t occur.

Figure with Nick's fighting for his life and clinging onto experience like Murphy clings onto his golden pass he'll go something like:

Out: Rankine (inj), Hinge (inj), Himmleberg, Taylor
In: Jones, McHenry, Tilthorpe, Schoenberg

What should happen (season cooked get games into next year's team - dont care about SANFL form):

Out: Rankine (inj), Hinge (inj), Smith, Murphy, Himmleburg
In: Taylor, Ryan, Curtin, Tilthorpe, Pedlar, Jones (Sub)
Nicks fighting for his life… 🤣

He was signed on for two years not two months ago.

Back