Preview R19: Changes vs. Essendon

Will Daniel Curtin come into the 22 this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

How can that be, he will be dropped......... (sorry, just needed some humor on the board. Anyone old enough to remember the amazing stories skit on Full Frontal?..its about things that never happen)
There's more chance Merrett will be dropped than Murphy

What do you base that on?

Walker averages 1.4 contested marks and 2.4 marks inside 50.

This season Fogarty averages 1.5 contested marks and 1.8 marks inside 50.

Himmelberg averages 1 contested mark and 1.4 marks inside 50.

Himmelberg is slow, and more or less a liability at ground level. Marking is the only attribute that he has, and he does it worse than Fog and Walker, who both have so many other strings to their bow.
The fact that we started looking much better up forward when he came in? He's not the right player, but he straightens us up, takes a good defender (leaving one of the other two free) and without TT, we needed him up there.

Just for once can we actually do something to stop Zac ****ing Merrett?

I'm tired of him getting the 10 coaches votes every time we play them.

Same as Tom Stewart, who we come up against next week.
Our club has a long history of being unable to (or not willing to) contain star opposition players over the years.

I present the following players who absolutely would kill us each and every time we played them:

1. Nathan Buckley
2. Robert Harvey
3. Scott West
4. Josh Francou
5. Craig Bradley
6. Nick Daicos

One can go back as far as Cousins (WCE) & even Joel Bowden (even when Richmond were shite)...

I'm sure there are many others.

And who could forget Neil Craig's refusal to shift Kris Massie off of Buddy in that final all those years ago?

Would be a good match up but Gresham? Martin much more dangerous - would stick Bond on him before anyone else

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Martin has
Just for once can we actually do something to stop Zac ****ing Merrett?

I'm tired of him getting the 10 coaches votes every time we play them.

Same as Tom Stewart, who we come up against next week.

Sounds like Caldwell may miss so a hard tag on Merrett would go a long way to shutting their mids down.
Martin was running their ball out of defence but Ridley has been for last few games. Martin kicked 4 from the wing last week so would need a good runner to cool him. Will be a great game under the roof need to stop them in the middle and def run.

This is probably a fair statement.

However, we're dealing with a club which continues to select Murphy & Smith, despite their manifest under-performance over a prologed period of time. Dropping Himmelberg, who IS performing, while continuing to select those who aren't, reaks of double standards - which is why I feel so sorry for Berg.

You have to realise that those guys are selected based upon factors that only non-AFC coaches can assess. The patterns they run, the shape they keep, the leadership and experience that makes everyone around them play better. We are just mere idiots that look at a player's footballing performance and judge them based upon that. There's so much more to it.

How's mason Redman been going this year ?
Was he worth all the hype when we tried to get him as FA ?

The fact that we started looking much better up forward when he came in? He's not the right player, but he straightens us up, takes a good defender (leaving one of the other two free) and without TT, we needed him up there.

Correlation does not equal causation, and what you’re saying points more towards Himmelberg being a better option than Burgess and Borlase (which I wouldn’t disagree with) than him being a better marking option than Fogarty or Walker (he isn’t).

In Himmelberg’s games we had 56, 48 and 52 inside 50s. The three before that we had 41, 46 and 35, so I don’t think you can credit Himmelberg for us looking better.

However, we're dealing with a club which continues to select Murphy & Smith, despite their manifest under-performance over a prologed period of time. Dropping Himmelberg, who IS performing, while continuing to select those who aren't, reaks of double standards - which is why I feel so sorry for Berg.

He’s not performing. He had one good game against Brisbane and didn’t really provide much in his other two. He’s not a young prospect, his 26, be a consistent contributor or don’t play.

How's mason Redman been going this year ?
Was he worth all the hype when we tried to get him as FA ?
Average to good year, but he has had to play a bit more lockdown since Ridley has come back in and is the clear +1 back there. Personally think we are pretty well covered in that position with Keane and really want to hold him also Worrell to come back.

Himmelberg is only on an AFL list because of his height. If he was Murphy's size nobody would have heard of him.

Unfortunately at his height and skill level there are only a few spots on the team. Murphy can be one of a dozen or more mids/smalls. Himmelberg is battling for one of 2-3 spots total.

Correlation does not equal causation, and what you’re saying points more towards Himmelberg being a better option than Burgess and Borlase (which I wouldn’t disagree with) than him being a better marking option than Fogarty or Walker (he isn’t).

In Himmelberg’s games we had 56, 48 and 52 inside 50s. The three before that we had 41, 46 and 35, so I don’t think you can credit Himmelberg for us looking better.

He’s not performing. He had one good game against Brisbane and didn’t really provide much in his other two. He’s not a young prospect, his 26, be a consistent contributor or don’t play.
Himmelberg being there made us play straighter. (ie. it gave us a tall option forward, rather than bombing it randomly on some short arses head). That's what I mean by that. We had better inside 50s because he was there. We were playing more direct because we had that tall option. You watch us play more direct footy with TT down there. I didn't think Himmelberg should have been in the side either, until I saw the effect he had on our movement forward. I think I even said at one stage, he stays until TT returns from injury.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Himmelberg is only on an AFL list because of his height. If he was Murphy's size nobody would have heard of him.

Unfortunately at his height and skill level there are only a few spots on the team. Murphy can be one of a dozen or more mids/smalls. Himmelberg is battling for one of 2-3 spots total.
If Max Gawn was Murphy’s height nobody would have heard of him either, what’s the point of that hypothetical?

Would we have heard already if there was a Ryan or Curtin in the travelling group?
With Hinge returning Ryan was never any chance.

This from Nicks’ presser today (Daily Telegraph):
Defender Mitch Hinge is set to come back into the side after he missed the win over St Kilda due to an adductor issue.

Nicks said Billy Dowling, Zac Taylor and Hugh Bond would keep their places after impressive showings against the Saints.

Top draftee Dan Curtin is closing on a return to the senior side and could be used as a midfielder after several eye-catching SANFL displays.

Also mentioned possibly going in with 4 talls up forward because it’s under the roof at Marvel.

Also mentioned possibly going in with 4 talls up forward because it’s under the roof at Marvel.

Would be idiotic.

I feel like people sometimes read under the roof as a chance to create really skillful ball movement. That shouldn’t be the aim, the aim should be to go fast. Extract the ball inside, get it on the outside and go quick.

Thilthorpe be the big presence as the deepest forward. That’ll give Fogarty and Walker the space to do their thing. With faster ball movement we should be able to use those two on the lead and hopefully isolate Thilthorpe in one on ones.

Then we might actually see Rachele and Cook have more chances to get dangerous, as well as Keays who’s in some really good form. We just need to get it in quick and in space.

Adding Himmelberg in just creates more congestion, and means we have to be perfect with our ball movement instead of fast.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R19: Changes vs. Essendon

Back