Preview R19: Changes vs. Essendon

Will Daniel Curtin come into the 22 this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Smith out for Hinge. Reckon that'll be about it. Berg to swap with TT for sub role. Could Berg replace RoB as first ruck choice potentially?

The magnets are 100% going to be shifted, but in no way is Smith going to be dropped.

I'm sorry to say but it's going to be one of Nank, Taylor, Dowling or Bond.

Out: Himmelberg, (one of the above 4)
Ins: Thilthorpe, Hinge (Jones Sub)

N/A - Gallagher, Hamill, Worrell, Pedlar, Crouch, Parnell, Milera

In Curtin Hinge
Out Smith Murphy

AFL V ESSENDON FRIDAY NIGHT
F Walker Thilthorpe Dawson
HF Keays Fogarty Rachele
C Cook Soligo Sholl
HB Curtin Murray Michalanney
B Nankervis Butts Bond
R O'Brien Taylor Berry
I Laird Dowling Himmelberg Keane
S Hinge

SANFL V NORTH SATURDAY ARVO SO EMERGENCIES CAN PLAY
F Gollant Burgess Welsh
HF Murphy T Murray McHenry
C Smith Schoenberg Haysman
HB J Boyle Borlase Ryan
B O'Leary Madgen Daniele
R Strachan Edwards Jones
I H Boyle Thomas Tahana Whimpress

Yes. Called Nursing Homes.

sad season 13 GIF
With gophers😜

N/A - Gallagher, Hamill, Worrell, Pedlar, Crouch, Parnell, Milera

In Curtin Hinge
Out Smith Murphy

AFL V ESSENDON FRIDAY NIGHT
F Walker Thilthorpe Dawson
HF Keays Fogarty Rachele
C Cook Soligo Sholl
HB Curtin Murray Michalanney
B Nankervis Butts Bond
R O'Brien Taylor Berry
I Laird Dowling Himmelberg Keane
S Hinge

SANFL V NORTH SATURDAY ARVO SO EMERGENCIES CAN PLAY
F Gollant Burgess Welsh
HF Murphy T Murray McHenry
C Smith Schoenberg Haysman
HB J Boyle Borlase Ryan
B O'Leary Madgen Daniele
R Strachan Edwards Jones
I H Boyle Thomas Tahana Whimpress
That would have to be our tallest side in Crows' history...

Would be a good match up but Gresham? Martin much more dangerous - would stick Bond on him before anyone else

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Agree, Martin is their main play maker.

If he is in defence, Keays needs to go to him.

I must admit feeling sorry for Himmelberg, who faces being dropped despite having done nothing wrong.

Normally we call for players to have good SANFL form rewarded with AFL selection, and people are extremely critical of the selectors when they fail to do so. Himmelberg has shown good form at AFL level, and does not deserve to be dropped.

Unfortunately for him, Thilthorpe is now back, and based on the 4th Quarter performance against St Kilda, looks ready to have a break-out end to the season. With Fogarty & Walker in the team, that just doesn't leave room for Berg.

Dropping Berg is the right thing to do, and I agree that he will be (and should be) one of the OUTs this week. But that doesn't alter the fact that is being hard done-by in being dropped.
Trade-wise, dropping Himmelberg while he has been reasonable might be a good thing.

I must admit feeling sorry for Himmelberg, who faces being dropped despite having done nothing wrong.

Normally we call for players to have good SANFL form rewarded with AFL selection, and people are extremely critical of the selectors when they fail to do so. Himmelberg has shown good form at AFL level, and does not deserve to be dropped.

Unfortunately for him, Thilthorpe is now back, and based on the 4th Quarter performance against St Kilda, looks ready to have a break-out end to the season. With Fogarty & Walker in the team, that just doesn't leave room for Berg.

Dropping Berg is the right thing to do, and I agree that he will be (and should be) one of the OUTs this week. But that doesn't alter the fact that is being hard done-by in being dropped.
This is exactly what should be happening at a well functioning club with depth. Players who don’t deserve to be dropped get pushed out by better players.

First time this has happened in years - that’s why it’s such a strange sensation!

Gave us a target up forward given that neither Tex nor Fog can manage overhead marks.

What do you base that on?

Walker averages 1.4 contested marks and 2.4 marks inside 50.

This season Fogarty averages 1.5 contested marks and 1.8 marks inside 50.

Himmelberg averages 1 contested mark and 1.4 marks inside 50.

Himmelberg is slow, and more or less a liability at ground level. Marking is the only attribute that he has, and he does it worse than Fog and Walker, who both have so many other strings to their bow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The magnets are 100% going to be shifted, but in no way is Smith going to be dropped.

I'm sorry to say but it's going to be one of Nank, Taylor, Dowling or Bond.

Out: Himmelberg, (one of the above 4)
Ins: Thilthorpe, Hinge (Jones Sub)

The first three had really strong performances on the weekend and Higgins barely touched it so I reckon Bond is safe as well.

I think if any of those players had just solid games then I’d agree with you, however there’s really no way Nicks can justify Smith over those three. He may drop Bond because there isn’t an obvious match up for him.

Just for once can we actually do something to stop Zac ****ing Merrett?

I'm tired of him getting the 10 coaches votes every time we play them.

Same as Tom Stewart, who we come up against next week.
They tried Ned McHenry on him for a period last time. All Ned really knew how to do was hold onto him at stoppages and hope he'd get away with it.

I was also at this match.

The Essendon fans were very lippy considering that their team was about to start their summer break.
I was there too. I remember one Essendon supporter giving it to us that we were rubbish going into finals and losing to a team not in the finals. We ended up winning the premiership 😎

This is exactly what should be happening at a well functioning club with depth. Players who don’t deserve to be dropped get pushed out by better players.

First time this has happened in years - that’s why it’s such a strange sensation!
This is probably a fair statement.

However, we're dealing with a club which continues to select Murphy & Smith, despite their manifest under-performance over a prologed period of time. Dropping Himmelberg, who IS performing, while continuing to select those who aren't, reaks of double standards - which is why I feel so sorry for Berg.

I think these 2 are very strong candidate's for this years David Mundy medal.

i.e. The Crow Killers that AFC coaches refuse to address.

Also considered Nick Daicos

Would be a good match up but Gresham? Martin much more dangerous - would stick Bond on him before anyone else

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I've seen a couple of the younger players referring to Bondy as "clamp" wonder if that's the nickname they've bestowed on him or their experience on playing on him at training?

I've seen a couple of the younger players referring to Bondy as "clamp" wonder if that's the nickname they've bestowed on him or their experience on playing on him at training?
So Bond (defensive back) and Keays (defensive forward) are the new taggers in the team.

Will we offer a new contract to purely a small shutdown defender and possible tagger.

No way, we'll back in our go-to guy (Murphy) to go head to head with Merrett.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R19: Changes vs. Essendon

Back