Preview R19: Changes vs. Essendon

Will Daniel Curtin come into the 22 this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

saw that hinge should be available so he can come in for the future brodie smith

I must admit feeling sorry for Himmelberg, who faces being dropped despite having done nothing wrong.

Normally we call for players to have good SANFL form rewarded with AFL selection, and people are extremely critical of the selectors when they fail to do so. Himmelberg has shown good form at AFL level, and does not deserve to be dropped.

Unfortunately for him, Thilthorpe is now back, and based on the 4th Quarter performance against St Kilda, looks ready to have a break-out end to the season. With Fogarty & Walker in the team, that just doesn't leave room for Berg.

Dropping Berg is the right thing to do, and I agree that he will be (and should be) one of the OUTs this week. But that doesn't alter the fact that is being hard done-by in being dropped.

saw that hinge should be available so he can come in for the future brodie smith

This is great news as it forces them to make a decision. Expect Berg to SANFL and TT in, which leaves sub spot open. Hinge into the 22, so someone needs to be demoted to sub. In terms of best decision for winning this week and development for the future, Smith should be dropped fully. But I doubt they’ll do that and demotion to sub as far as he’ll fall. But will they even go that far?

I must admit feeling sorry for Himmelberg, who faces being dropped despite having done nothing wrong.

Normally we call for players to have good SANFL form rewarded with AFL selection, and people are extremely critical of the selectors when they fail to do so. Himmelberg has shown good form at AFL level, and does not deserve to be dropped.

Unfortunately for him, Thilthorpe is now back, and based on the 4th Quarter performance against St Kilda, looks ready to have a break-out end to the season. With Fogarty & Walker in the team, that just doesn't leave room for Berg.

Dropping Berg is the right thing to do, and I agree that he will be (and should be) one of the OUTs this week. But that doesn't alter the fact that is being hard done-by in being dropped.

But what has he done right?

For a tall on a slippery sodden night he was very serviceable. Some of his groundwork tap-ons and bodying defied his height as did his pick up and goal snap which was a very timely goal. I'd like to see him stay in and reckon as a third/fourth tall anywhere from wings to forward it'd create a problem for Essendon matching up.

I think it's a pity we'll lose him at season's end.

Himmelberg playing as good as he ever has.
I would like to see us rest Tex this week at Marvel and keep Himmel in.
He can then be our chop out ruck, just so TT doesn't have to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's been alright, but it's not like he's put his selection beyond doubt.

If nothing else, he's had a chance to show he can contribute at AFL level. If someone wants to take him now, fair play to him. Otherwise, he's quite useful as depth.

Remember being at that game at Optus Oval (or maybe Princes Park at the time) but one event that day overshadowed everything.

It was the day Princess Diana died. Remember it being announced about an hour before the game started.
I was also at this match.

The Essendon fans were very lippy considering that their team was about to start their summer break.

no he hasnt really done anything wrong, but he most likely wont be here next season and we cant make finals. there really isnt any point in putting games into someone who is really just alright at best

no he hasnt really done anything wrong, but he most likely wont be here next season and we cant make finals. there really isnt any point in putting games into someone who is really just alright at best
This quickly becomes a circular argument. He's not going to be there next season because we don't select him. We don't select him because he's not going to be there next season.

As for being "alright at best"... He has significantly outperformed every other player we've tried in that 3rd tall slot - Borlase, Gollant & Burgess. He performed better than Walker in the St Kilda game, and there's a reasonable argument for retaining Berg and resting Walker for the trip to Melbourne this Friday.

If Berg goes to GWS (as expected), and we're forced to play Borlase/Gollant/Burgess again in 2025 as a result, then our team will be significantly worse off for his departure.

He's been alright, but it's not like he's put his selection beyond doubt.

If nothing else, he's had a chance to show he can contribute at AFL level. If someone wants to take him now, fair play to him. Otherwise, he's quite useful as depth.
He’s played in one losing game this year out of seven.

This quickly becomes a circular argument. He's not going to be there next season because we don't select him. We don't select him because he's not going to be there next season.

As for being "alright at best"... He has significantly outperformed every other player we've tried in that 3rd tall slot - Borlase, Gollant & Burgess. He performed better than Walker in the St Kilda game, and there's a reasonable argument for retaining Berg and resting Walker for the trip to Melbourne this Friday.

If Berg goes to GWS (as expected), and we're forced to play Borlase/Gollant/Burgess again in 2025 as a result, then our team will be significantly worse off for his departure.
i mean they could let all 4 of them go anyways i wouldnt be too upset.

Do they have support groups for us?
Yes. Called Nursing Homes.

sad season 13 GIF

i mean they could let all 4 of them go anyways i wouldnt be too upset.
... in which case we have no depth at all in the case of an injury. Our depth would literally be T Murray & Welsh, one of whom would likely be in the best 22 (assuming Walker's retirement).

There in lies why there is often such a roundabout with tall depth. I've been keen on retaining Himmelberg all year, as far as tall depth goes he's very handy. In 2025, the Cadman-Hogan-Riccardi combo may be harder to break into than the Walker-Thilthorpe-Fogarty. Resting Walker once or twice throughout the remainder of 2024 may make that apparent to Himmelberg.

Our only other genuine cover for Thilthorpe is Toby Murray. I consider Borlase/Gollant/Burgess cover for Walker/Fogarty, none of them have the height to do what we want Thilthorpe to do.

Just for once can we actually do something to stop Zac ****ing Merrett?

I'm tired of him getting the 10 coaches votes every time we play them.

Same as Tom Stewart, who we come up against next week.

Just for once can we actually do something to stop Zac ****ing Merrett?

I'm tired of him getting the 10 coaches votes every time we play them.

Same as Tom Stewart, who we come up against next week.
Throw in Aliir.

I think its just part of Nicks plan in that if they get the ball no one else is getting it. Cunning coaching. ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R19: Changes vs. Essendon

Back