Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

I take the AFL media too literally, lol. He’s asked about Taylor, he could have said anything, he chose to say he stuff to work on to defend his non-selection. We have an injury and he gets a late call up, plays his first 2 games as sub only. So without that injury would Taylor still not be ready?

The mental gymnastics some of you come up with is bloody hilarious.

He’s given a heap of opportunity to Jones and McHenry so don’t know what you’re talking about there. Jones only made way because of injury, see Taylor.
He says every player on our list has things to work on, just like all coaches in the AFL and they're right. They all do. Even Tex, who has to find ways to keep himself up and going with an older body, or has to know when to pass off etc on a long range shot since he hasn't quite got the distance he had at his peak, to playing second fiddle decoy sometimes.

Good: Performance after quarter time. After the youngest player there Phillipou looked to dominate, Soligo, Dowling and Taylor decided not to let him show them up and really stepped up themselves to get a lot more ball.

Rachele's only centre bounce appearance when soligo rested forward, win the ball, turned out over to the half back but got the ball back and drove it forward for an important 3rd quarter goal. That showed me he can be that player.

Thilthorpe's return, gee we missed him this year. And Bonds debut, solid with a few nice plays.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Now, take off the sleeves, and change 8 to 25. How would you react.

Having watched this board for over a decade, I can assure you that exact same play would've been in the ugly category.

He says every player on our list has things to work on, just like all coaches in the AFL and they're right. They all do. Even Tex, who has to find ways to keep himself up and going with an older body, or has to know when to pass off etc on a long range shot since he hasn't quite got the distance he had at his peak, to playing second fiddle decoy sometimes.

It's a really insightful commentary then.

"What about this guy?"

"He is in a circumstance that everyone else on the planet is in"

A breakout game for Brayden.

Playing 80% ToG, half on the wing and half as a forward, he racked up 6 kicks and 6 handballs at 67% efficiency. He also contributed 2 of the 109 team tackles and 5 of the teams 162 contested possessions.

Great first game by Bond (why have so many posters wanted to delist him? Dowling developing well, Nankervis so composed and my boy Zac playing exactly as I have predicted for the last year.
I liked Cook on the wing.
It brought him into the game better, and the talent is there.
Could be a great asset there.

And tbh, it looked like he was playing the Murphy role (yeah yeah, Murphy does it off the HFF and we basically play with 3 wingers) but he does it better, so it might lead to cutting Murphy.

From last nights team, the changes I'd make are Out: Murphy, Himmelberg In: Pedlar, Hinge and either move Smith to sub, or cut him for someone else altogether.

Playing AFL a month earlier would have ruined Taylors entire career!!!!!!!

Thank god Nicks saved him from that!
One could say it ruined McAsey's career, and maybe Curtin's as well ;)

#devilsadvocate (I don't believe that, but you can draw a bow and argue it)

I think you'll find that you've never struggled with being dumb enough.

There is absolutely nothing in this excessively long ramble that approaches a point deserving response. You can't even get to the fourth paragraph without admitting that players could have played earlier.

I like though, that your view is that we shouldn't follow methods from clubs (that are better than us) that haven't won premierships. We should maintain our own method. That hasn't won premierships.
I knew you'd complain about it being too long. "Yeah, I'm a real smart person but I can't be bothered reading a few words" screams someone who's a good learner doesn't it...lol.

Re the bolded bit, seems I'll have to spell out two things, one that I already spelled out (slow learner) and one that I thought was obvious but anyways. The first is I said its a balancing act and I am not concerned with the balance at the moment. Why? Even though they didn't play earlier, do you think its going to destroy their careers? What percentage will they play poorer over their career because of that delay, 15%, 10%, 1%? My guess is like 0.001%. Or do you think having those 3 play earlier would've boosted us to premiership contender already??

Do you think Kangaroos should sack Clarkson because he plays some of their more experienced players, who likely wont be around the next time they're in their window? Adelaide Bigfooty logic tells me Clarko is wrong here.

Oh, what's this exact recipe that these premiership winning clubs are doing? I, and a lot of AFL coaches would like to know. Cant wait, secret to AFL success will be revealed soon folks.

One could say it ruined McAsey's career, and maybe Curtin's as well ;)

#devilsadvocate (I don't believe that, but you can draw a bow and argue it)

People can say any number of inane things. It doesn't mean they should be taken seriously.

It's a really insightful commentary then.

"What about this guy?"

"He is in a circumstance that everyone else on the planet is in"
No argument that they say useless stuff a lot.

Do you think theyre gonna say well, here's all our exact specific plans for all our players and give away all our intel so the other teams can use it against us?

And tbh, it looked like he was playing the Murphy role (yeah yeah, Murphy does it off the HFF and we basically play with 3 wingers) but he does it better, so it might lead to cutting Murphy.

From last nights team, the changes I'd make are Out: Murphy, Himmelberg In: Pedlar, Hinge and either move Smith to sub, or cut him for someone else altogether.
Pedlar from his hospital bed?

I knew you'd complain about it being too long. "Yeah, I'm a real smart person but I can't be bothered reading a few words" screams someone who's a good learner doesn't it...lol.

Re the bolded bit, seems I'll have to spell out two things, one that I already spelled out (slow learner) and one that I thought was obvious but anyways. The first is I said its a balancing act and I am not concerned with the balance at the moment. Why? Even though they didn't play earlier, do you think its going to destroy their careers? What percentage will they play poorer over their career because of that delay, 15%, 10%, 1%? My guess is like 0.001%. Or do you think having those 3 play earlier would've boosted us to premiership contender already??

Do you think Kangaroos should sack Clarkson because he plays some of their more experienced players, who likely wont be around the next time they're in their window? Adelaide Bigfooty logic tells me Clarko is wrong here.

Oh, what's this exact recipe that these premiership winning clubs are doing? I, and a lot of AFL coaches would like to know. Cant wait, secret to AFL success will be revealed soon folks.

I'm happy to read long posts if the author seems like someone who can operate a light switch. I don't think there's value in reading long posts written by you.

You seem to be under a misapprehension that you're functioning well, as if this unconnected random selection of pablum is impressing anyone.

No argument that they say useless stuff a lot.

Do you think theyre gonna say well, here's all our exact specific plans for all our players and give away all our intel so the other teams can use it against us?

Or, more likely, your interpretation is wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curtin got a game on the back of media selection pressure and subsequently subbed as soon as Nicks got the chance....twice. Ive never seen such disrespect.

Dowling only got a game on the back of Crouch long term injury

Taylor in for Jones injury.

Bond only got a game because of hinge.

Injury is the common denominator.

Nicks seldoms drops players for poor form. Thats been a constant.

This is an inane commentary of Curtin based on myths you are choosing to invent or perpetuate.

Got a game on the basis of media pressure? What a joke.

Nobody is whinging that Duursma can't get a game at North. That O'Sullivan can't at Geelong. That jed walters is back in the VFL. That Ethan Reid can't get a game. Curtin is in this group, not yet in the best 18 but not far off.

The rest is correct, injury got these players into the team, training and matches got them ready, their performance keeps them in it.

Winning a bunch many games for the rest of the year will also keep them in it.

F××K the pick 4 or 5 or 6, get this bunch of kids, the youngest team in the comp, winning games. That's what 90% of supporters want.

On SM-S928B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cook spent nearly half of his game time on the wing. Over the last month he has played on the wing when Sholl and Dowling/Jones were having a rest. He has a unique ability to be where the bal isn’t. If he and the ball are in the same location he looks great. His disposal efficiency has been good up until the last two weeks.

My doubts about Nicks stand but this looks like a united playing group.
Thilthorpe is under there somewhere, WELCOME BACK!! :thumbsupv1: :D
GOOD:
View attachment 2047718

Also GOOD:
--- winning with several kids who-can-footy in the side.
Taylor, Bond and Dowling, take a bow!
--- our Chicken Man Soligo, seemed to be everywhere, he's everywhere.
--- we scrapped harder, better and longer than they did (suck shit Lyon)
--- I've been an outspoken critic of Sholl but he played well last night. Goodonim.
--- the shepherd put on by Cook to enable the Rachele goal :thumbsupv1: .
KUDOS:
--- to the bravehearts who sat out in the miserable cold and wet to cheer the boys on.
Love❤It!
I really paid attention to Dan Curtin in the Post Game celebrations after the Glenelg/GWS Double W,
You couldn't wipe the smile from his face in either win & he was filming the team song of the AFL side (also Dowlings first win I think) I took great comfort from those scenes. Think the Kids are alright. 😃🤞

Last edited:
He and Ross Lyon both use the same ugly gameplan. Put excess numbers around the ball and go long down the boundary line.
It's really shit football too watch.
It is :poov1:.
It did get Roos a Flag, though :think:.

In the extremely remote off-chance that it gets us a Flag, I'll put my hand up for TWO serves of humble pie.

One, for me to eat, very humbly (but happily).
The other for jenny61_99 to throw in my face. :sneaky:

It's always the argument.
People call for a kid to debut- rebuttal is they are not ready, got stuff to work on, won't be better than an incumbent.

Injury happens, they get called up. They play well then it's 'they must have been picked at the right time'.

Meaning no one has ever spent too much time in the 2s and all needed exactly how many games they played there... amazing how injuries/suspensions just happen to line up with the exact amount of development a player needs.
"They've earned their spot" 😉

I'm happy to read long posts if the author seems like someone who can operate a light switch. I don't think there's value in reading long posts written by you.

You seem to be under a misapprehension that you're functioning well, as if this unconnected random selection of pablum is impressing anyone.
Double word score for "pablum" - I had to look that one up 😁

If experience is everything then it's about getting as many players we see as best 22 to 100 games as fast as possible.

Just by your post we'd be 20-30 games closer to our premiership window now if they played earlier. Assuming these players are part of it.

Ugly: Nicks' comments and tears ater the great win against premiship contenders St Kilda, when asked how he was feeling. He said "Ah pretty hard, it's been a tough week. Great boys. Great boys'
Makes me sick
Dinkum? :confusedv1:
Didn't Hinkley do that on the ground a week or so ago after PA had a win? Same line too, "Great boys, great boys"?

If true, not only has Nicks been a Hinkley (failed) disciple, he's also learned how to emote after a game :sneaky:.

Pedlar is done for the season

Saint Kilda are Thilthorpes Bitch.

Wink Afl GIF by Adelaide Crows
Love it :D , but who's the scrawny boy in the gif? :winkv1:

Dinkum? :confusedv1:
Didn't Hinkley do that on the ground a week or so ago after PA had a win? Same line too, "Great boys, great boys"?

If true, not only has Nicks been a Hinkley (failed) disciple, he's also learned how to emote after a game :sneaky:.
They're clearly the same person!
Matthew (7 letters)
Kenneth (7 letters)
Ken (3)
Nix (3)
👩‍🦲+👩‍🦲=💩

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back