Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Sholl was one of the catalysts for staying in the game like we did, and Dowling and Nank had a bunch of nice moments. Good night to be an outside-leaning player for us

Laird and Murphy honestly played the best they had in a while, both get a tick tonight

Taylor’s a long-term player. Just so smart in traffic. Same with Soligo, but we already knew that about him. Both are long-term mids

Berry was in his element

RT performed in the last quarter like the monster we all hoped he could become. Keen to see him play a full game

Bond and Max carved up Higgins and Henry

ROB won the ruck battle, Keays did Keays things

Overall a good performance in the wet, especially keeping them to just one goal in the last 2 1/2 quarters

Brodie Smith:
13 disposals
1 score involvement
8 turnovers
8 pressure acts

Saints get pick 4, AFL give them pick 5 for losing a C grade player in Battle

Crows get the crumbs.
The Saints still have West Coast and Richmond and we have a tough run. #4 is still a chance.

Even still, there's plenty of midfield talent in this draft that they will still be available at #6. We just have to actually pick them.

Can all the club sucks that told me these guys weren't capable of AFL explain this though
You mean Nicksy? Hope someone asks him at the press conference...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a believer in tanking. Not because I don't think we should do it in principle, I just think it's hard to do in reality without either showing how bad your young players are, or getting pinged by the afl for it. If you're playing a crap side and lose, you're ticking one of those two boxes.

Good:

Sholl. Had a really good year and surprised me a lot. I've wanted him gone for a while, and I'm still not convinced he's someone you want in finals, but he's improved his weaknesses (mainly being weak) a lot. I think he's an afl player now.

Keays didn't do a lot wrong. Having a pretty good season really. Handy forward.

Taylor good in the conditions. Hard to stand out. He was clean and tough.

Soligo good except didn't finish a few times. He'll be at least an A grade mid. Could be elite if he could hit the scoreboard a bit.

I liked cook tonight. Surprised he only had 11 touches. Had intensity and used the ball well.

TT super sub. Strange not to give him a full game though. Sub him off if he struggles.

Bond surprised when he got the ball. Was composed. Shut down Higgins well despite him not getting much opportunity.

Nank excellent when he was around it. So composed. One of the highlights of the season for me. Not sure how we're playing him though. You don't see him on the screen for portions. Get him around the ball!

Bad:

Not much. Think Michalaney is having an average second half of the year. Form is a bit firm, but that might have something to do with him being shuffled around.

Promosing signs from the kids. Only negative is they are all behind 10-15 games in AFL development, especially Dowling. If it wasnt for the Crouch injury he'd probably be rotting in the twos, how good was he tonight.
We need to trade Berry if he has trade currency and move Dowling and Taylor up the midfield pecking order.

We need to trade Berry if he has trade currency and move Dowling and Taylor up the midfield pecking order.
Or we trade the older Laird.

Bond showing off his fitness levels. 1st AFL game and he's there with Keays and Sholl for distance covered on ground.
I’ve said for a long while that our defence looked unbalanced without a genuine small defender back there. I think both Hamill and now Bond have both looked solid back there this year and it frees up Michalanney, Hinge and others to play a more attacking role. Definitely worth persisting with. Higgins is a very tricky customer and Bond completely blanketed him - it was most impressive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back