Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

At this point, no. Needs more, of course, but it's in a much healthier spot compared to last year. Last year was Dawson and Laird as a two man wrecking ball, alongside a hope and a prayer.

This year, we've seen Rankine has come in and right now, is a top 10 player in the comp as a mid--forward. Dawson has backed up last year quite well, though not to the same heights. Soligo has come on and done a solid job as a third mid. Laird is still putting up respectable numbers, ditto Matt Crouch pre-injury. The base is there for a rather solid and well rounded group in 2025, though it probably requires Soligo to take the next step without any genuine additions - or a big in and under clearance winner to come forth. A new ruck, and one that could help out with ground work, would go a long way as well.

The area that's killing Adelaide at the moment is at half back. Sure, injuries with Milera have hurt - as we lost a genuine playmaker - but we've had a lot of issues transitioning the ball from defense to midfield. It's likely using Dawson more defensively would help alleviate it seeing as it stands, with Milera wiped and Smith finding the cliff, it is looking dire with just Hinge.

I do think there is wisdom in saying lets not get ahead of ourselves with the kids though. Plenty have come through, looked a million dollars in a debut period and disappeared once the momentum faded.

Yep, all the stats suggest that, alongside with a drop-off in our (frankly, unsustainable) forward efficiency, the biggest regression from 2023 has been our ability to move the ball from d50. I'm moderately confident that Ryan is tracking well to eventually be a permanent fixture back there, hopeful that Milera can return to something like full form/fitness, confident that Curtin will spend a fair amount of time back there, and ditto confident that Michalanney will improve his ball use (possibly facilitated by Bond locking down a spot, if that happens). Overall, I'm feeling OK about our rebound capacity long-term. But it's been rough this year.

At this point, no. Needs more, of course, but it's in a much healthier spot compared to last year. Last year was Dawson and Laird as a two man wrecking ball, alongside a hope and a prayer.

This year, we've seen Rankine has come in and right now, is a top 10 player in the comp as a mid--forward. Dawson has backed up last year quite well, though not to the same heights. Soligo has come on and done a solid job as a third mid. Laird is still putting up respectable numbers, ditto Matt Crouch pre-injury. The base is there for a rather solid and well rounded group in 2025, though it probably requires Soligo to take the next step without any genuine additions - or a big in and under clearance winner to come forth. A new ruck, and one that could help out with ground work, would go a long way as well.

The area that's killing Adelaide at the moment is at half back. Sure, injuries with Milera have hurt - as we lost a genuine playmaker - but we've had a lot of issues transitioning the ball from defense to midfield. It's likely using Dawson more defensively would help alleviate it seeing as it stands, with Milera wiped and Smith finding the cliff, it is looking dire with just Hinge.

I do think there is wisdom in saying lets not get ahead of ourselves with the kids though. Plenty have come through, looked a million dollars in a debut period and disappeared once the momentum faded.
A good, measured response to my little rant.

Absolutely this. The young guys are so much more creative with their handballs. They take their time to choose the best option instead of just handballing to the nearest option, who is quite often stationary or under pressure themselves.
Sooo… does that mean they are being developed well?

I posted this in the game day thread:

What was the reason he was doing that? The de-loading thing was what my partner said but he isn't sure either.
Common for Burgess to have the sub run after the game.

The bad:

the happy clappers only turn up when we win. and expecct us to believe in their positivity bullshit.
People being happy that kids played well and are being given a go isn't happy clapping
There was much to be positive about
Doesn't mean that nicks is suddenly a good coach, we don't need to draft well, or that we're winning a flag next year

Just got back from the game. Was a pretty dreary, wet, boring game for the first half. Most of it was just teams dump kicking it back and forth down the wings. Thought we really missed Hinge at times. Umpiring was terrible and one sided. Thilthorpe coming on changed the game. Crowd erupted when he got near it and then kicked those two goals.

People being happy that kids played well and are being given a go isn't happy clapping
There was much to be positive about
Doesn't mean that nicks is suddenly a good coach, we don't need to draft well, or that we're winning a flag next year
I'm not talking about those people. Even I'm happy thilthorpe is back and played well.

I was there tonight and can't say I was impressed much. Despite the win and wet weather, the skills were terrible and the game plan worse. Ross Lyon football vs Matthew Nicks football is a sad sight.

You can tell that Nicks spent most of his career playing under Paul Ross.

He and Ross Lyon both use the same ugly gameplan. Put excess numbers around the ball and go long down the boundary line.

It's really shit football too watch.

Good:
Thilthorpe - Looked a class above in the conditions, the actual future
Soligo, Taylor, Dowling, Berry - A great showing by the kids against some seasoned opposition
Sholl - Maybe not stat wise but probably his best all round game
Nank - Becoming a very reliable player, just getting started too
Max and Bond - Gave their opponents nothing
Dawson - a more Dawson like game then recently

p.s. I'd love to get Phillipou and NWM into crows guernseys asap
Pregame I thought Bond was a bit fortunate to come in ahead of Oscar Ryan or Dan Curtin but he certainly did the job on Higgins

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You can tell that Nicks spent most of his career playing under Paul Ross.

He and Ross Lyon both use the same ugly gameplan. Put excess numbers around the ball and go long down the boundary line.

It's really shit football too watch.
I'm not sure if I've ever seen that many boundaries at a game live ever. So many times tonight a Crows player had the ball in the corridor and went for the diagonal or sideways option. * off. What is this shit game plan trying to achieve? It's as if the aim is to make it as hard as possible for you (not your opponents) to score.

Sooo… does that mean they are being developed well?
The issue is that Nix is only playing them out of necessity. If guys like Crouch weren't injured then they'd still be developing in the SANFL.

We even preferred to play Parnell, who has already shown he's not AFL standard, before giving Bond a go. Same with Hamill (who admittedly has been ok this year).

McHenry has played too many games before any of the youngsters. Murphy is also another one.

Curtin has played 2 games and been subbed off at half time in both.

Nix has even publicly stated that our youngsters aren't up to it, and is now eating humble pie.

The issue is that Nix is only playing them out of necessity. If guys like Crouch weren't injured then they'd still be developing in the SANFL.

We even preferred to play Parnell, who has already shown he's not AFL standard, before giving Bond a go. Same with Hamill (who admittedly has been ok this year).

McHenry has played too many games before any of the youngsters. Murphy is also another one.

Nix has even publicly stated that our youngsters aren't up to it, and is now eating humble pie.
Yep, awful coach.

I’m glad he’s eating humble pie. That means they’ve proved him wrong and he won’t be in a rush to drop them because then he’ll look even sillier if he does!

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R18: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. St. Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back