Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Great:
Fog and Keays. In that last quarter, they put the team on their backs and led them to the win. Proper leaders.

Good:
Rachelle's 3 goals
Dowling and Taylor's games
The defense stood up in the last without our 2 best KPD
We did that without Tex, Rankine, Worrell, Murray/Butts/Dawson/Laird
8 goals in a row playing some very sexy footy

Bad:
Conceding 7 in a row.
Muzz possible knee. Fingers crossed for good news.

Ugly:
Umpires. What is HTB? Them getting frees I50 for us breathing, and them mauling Fog/RT every contest and us getting nothing.
Our SANFL team next week is going to get belted. We have no one left considering we may need up to 5 forced changes.

Saints have a few winnable games in the run home. I still think we finish 15th
So do we, the Hawks, Dogs and Port are all very winnable. I expect to win at least two of those which should be enough for 14th. What the Saints do have in their favour is that all of their remaining games are at Marvel, but it's the Saints. You just can't trust them.
Please.

It was only Essendon.
Yes, they're frauds, but it was still a big one for us given they've been a massive bogey side for us for seven years.

Have to give credit to ROB, Essendon came in with 2 genuine ruckmen and he destroyed both of them in the last quarter. Himmelberg and Thilthorpe combined for 2 hitouts, ROB was enormous.

You should also watch OBriens last quarter then. He was excellent and took some critical marks.
In the last 10 mins he was crucial yes. Another poster raised the strangeness of how he morphed from being the worst player on the ground into a beast in the blink of an eye. It certainly wasn’t the entire last quarter though, or even half of it.

Probably lifted his overall game rating from a 1/10 to a 4 in that 10 minute span.

Not a big Nicks fan or hater but credit for shuffling the back line and putting Keays in the centre in the last (not sure if he’s attended a centre bounce at all this year up until now). Maybe forced with Dawson off, but still….. could have gone with Murphy and didnt.

Perhaps and it is a big if, perhaps is starting to realise who and who he can’t rely upon. Big ask I know but here’s hoping the penny has dropped.

Haven’t seen a lot of love for Berry’s game, continued on his good month of footy.

Really enjoyed his work around the clearances, used his strength to break tackles and ensure we got a clean ball out. Kicking seems to have genuinely improved too.

That goal on the run in the 2nd was sublime! Running the wrong way for a right footer, so composed himself, straightened up and nailed it from 40 on the run.
Need your eyes checked if you think that was 40m.

You lot are funny! It’s the players fault when they win and Nick’s fault when they lose.
What's funny is Nicks' blaming the players when they lose and you giving him credit for last night.
Suggesting players disobeyed their coach to win the game because it fails to fit the agenda of armchair supporters is beyond absurd. There must have been many angry supporters last night, because you gotta clutch at straws to find a reason to diss Nick’s win against quality opposition in an away game.
Nicks has been our Coach for nearly 5 years. It's Nicks, with no apostrophe.
Wow just wow.
We win last night, and Nicks is your hero? :confusedv1:
What is wow is your ignoring what I said:
"One of our blokes said post-game that Nicks (no apostrophe) sent them out to be defensive, no surprise, hence the 3-goals-behind start.
Later, Nicks did not "shuffle" the backline around while Essendon kicked that run of 7 goals in the third.
To be fair, Keays was moved into the midfield for the 4th quarter (that's a tick to Nicks) and he and Fog lifted the whole team."
All 3 points are what happened. The last one praises Nicks.

My "guess" about the players going on attack (in spite of Nicks and not because of him) is a reflection of my disappointment at where we are after our 0-4, then 1-5 start.
Look at the players chosen back then, the senior player favoritism, and the fact --- FACT --- that kids have been played only through forced injuries.

You wanna give Nicks credit? Give him credit for another lost season.

Good: - 2nd quarter run of 9 goals.
- the tenacity of the new kids coming through, Taylor, Dowling, Nankervis looking very solid.
- our perseverance through the Dons’ comeback, this is character building, more important than the typical 4 points.
- the umps finally not affecting the result of this match in the last 2 minutes! Cheers umps!
- Fog showing signs he really wants to take the forward mantle.
- Keays transforming himself from a useful player to a crucial player overnight. What a huge beast!

In the last 10 mins he was crucial yes. Another poster raised the strangeness of how he morphed from being the worst player on the ground into a beast in the blink of an eye. It certainly wasn’t the entire last quarter though, or even half of it.

Probably lifted his overall game rating from a 1/10 to a 4 in that 10 minute span.
He’s an enigma.
Mostly utterly shit. Occasionally an absolute beast.
There was one critical point where he hit the ball directly to an Essendon player at a CB and the camera showed Nicks going off. Maybe a bit of a spray got him going?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ben Keays 5th goal from a free was probably his best set shot at goal ever.

Another ugly:

Rachele scores, 52 seconds on the clock.

1. We let Merrett waltz out of the centre square unopposed
2. They have spare men at the fall of the ball
3. We are fortunate enough to rush the behind and have possession. 30 odd left on the clock.
4. We go long.

WHY? Find a kick in the pocket. Make that option. Kill time!

5. They win back possession.
6. We are fortunate to rush through another behind. 15 odd seconds left.
7. We go long.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????

We've seen from our numerous close games this year and last that that is our game plan in that situation. Nobody tries to make the short option. Drives me bonkers. Nearly cost us the Carlton game and nearly cost us last night.

I understand the want to clear the area ASAP, but our poor contested marking as a team means it very often comes straight back in. We need to work on that.

What's funny is Nicks' blaming the players when they lose and you giving him credit for last night.

Nicks has been our Coach for nearly 5 years. It's Nicks, with no apostrophe.

We win last night, and Nicks is your hero? :confusedv1:
What is wow is your ignoring what I said:
"One of our blokes said post-game that Nicks (no apostrophe) sent them out to be defensive, no surprise, hence the 3-goals-behind start.
Later, Nicks did not "shuffle" the backline around while Essendon kicked that run of 7 goals in the third.
To be fair, Keays was moved into the midfield for the 4th quarter (that's a tick to Nicks) and he and Fog lifted the whole team."
All 3 points are what happened. The last one praises Nicks.

My "guess" about the players going on attack (in spite of Nicks and not because of him) is a reflection of my disappointment at where we are after our 0-4, then 1-5 start.
Look at the players chosen back then, the senior player favoritism, and the fact --- FACT --- that kids have been played only through forced injuries.

You wanna give Nicks credit? Give him credit for another lost season.
The issue is you (as in plural you) can’t just keep blaming Nicks for all the bad things each week, there are a ton of other factors that’s beyond his control. Not making excuses for the poor start this season, but that start and the current momentum are 2 phases of the season.

I also don’t think Nicks coached the team to be defensive last night, because the 9-goal run wouldn’t have been likely. To suggest the coach drilled them to be defensive for the game, and they all collectively said “stuff this game plan!” and then went on a 9-goal rampage is highly improbable! Also, even with great coaches, their teams would get poor starts in games throughout the season. Poor starts aren’t a marker of a poor coach, but the lack of a response from the players is. And thank *, we got a great response last night!

Good:
Keays. Never want to hear the moaners complain about him again. Gives everything he has to this club.
Fog. Huge - it's clear that he is the one.
Hinge - good lord we can't afford to lose him. What a boot.
Dowling/Taylor. A disgrace it took so long to play these guys. Both have poise and class.
Berry. Elite at getting out of tight spots. Got to find a spot for him permanently.
Dawson - just classy - will be missed next week
Laird did some nice things in close
Thilthorpe getting through. Not sighted much but building.

Bad:
Smith - the game has very clearly gone past him and it's time to go.
Himmelberg- offers nothing too often. The experiment is over. Let him go be with his brother.
Sholl. He's been great recently but found out a tad this game. He has a 13 year old body and gets shoved off the ball accordingly
Rachelle's soft efforts throughout the game. Rapt for him to kick the winning goal but these soft plays are happening a bit too much
Injuries to Muz Butts Dawson

Ugly:
Umpiring was pathetic again. The HTB interpretation was different depending on what guernsey you were wearing.
Draper. His diving and flopping was cringeworthy. Should be suspended. Hitting the post from right in front was costly too - shame. Flog.
Looks at the “Bads” in your list

Smith, sholl, himmelburg, rachelle..

Smith, sholl, himmelburg.. tick.

Rachelle?… sure I can see why some are not loving what he’s bringing atm..

But.

How’s the fxxkn elephant in your room.

How do you pot these four blokes and not mention our worst on ground by a country mile…

The unflushable turd himself that is L. Murphy..

Ugly:
  • Keane. He is a serious serious liability in defence. No body contact, let’s his player run way too loose and he calls switches incredibly late often leaving us with two blokes that look like they’re standing in no man’s land because they don’t have time to switch.

Another ugly:

Rachele scores, 52 seconds on the clock.

1. We let Merrett waltz out of the centre square unopposed
2. They have spare men at the fall of the ball
3. We are fortunate enough to rush the behind and have possession. 30 odd left on the clock.
4. We go long.

WHY? Find a kick in the pocket. Make that option. Kill time!

5. They win back possession.
6. We are fortunate to rush through another behind. 15 odd seconds left.
7. We go long.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY????

We've seen from our numerous close games this year and last that that is our game plan in that situation. Nobody tries to make the short option. Drives me bonkers. Nearly cost us the Carlton game and nearly cost us last night.

I understand the want to clear the area ASAP, but our poor contested marking as a team means it very often comes straight back in. We need to work on that.
I think in that last minute everyone was manned up and there were no real short options. Hence the long kicks.

Looks at the “Bads” in your list

Smith, sholl, himmelburg, rachelle..

Smith, sholl, himmelburg.. tick.

Rachelle?… sure I can see why some are not loving what he’s bringing atm..

But.

How’s the fxxkn elephant in your room.

How do you pot these four blokes and not mention our worst on ground by a country mile…

The unflushable turd himself that is L. Murphy..

The problem with Rachele with these posters is so obvious. He kicked 5 goals in his first game so that is his standard - if he doesn’t kick 5 goals he is a fraud/failure etc.

But lets not worry about the obvious - one player in their third season the other in his seventh and both playing similar positions. Go figure -

This season

Careers

I think in that last minute everyone was manned up and there were no real short options. Hence the long kicks.
Yep. There was no option for Hinge to kick short. He did the only thing he could.

It was the centre clearance that went to Merrett that was a massive blunder that nearly cost us the game. Was that another ROB fail?

Edit: Just checked and yes it was the ginger slob losing the tap to Draper.

Last edited:
The issue is you (as in plural you) can’t just keep blaming Nicks for all the bad things each week, there are a ton of other factors that’s beyond his control. Not making excuses for the poor start this season, but that start and the current momentum are 2 phases of the season.

I also don’t think Nicks coached the team to be defensive last night, because the 9-goal run wouldn’t have been likely. To suggest the coach drilled them to be defensive for the game, and they all collectively said “stuff this game plan!” and then went on a 9-goal rampage is highly improbable! Also, even with great coaches, their teams would get poor starts in games throughout the season. Poor starts aren’t a marker of a poor coach, but the lack of a response from the players is. And thank *, we got a great response last night!
You’re back John, did we have a win?

Great win but sheesh rewatch the last 30 seconds and you’ll see why we don’t win close games under nicks.

They had about 3 clear cut opportunities to win, letting Merrett waltz out of the square is criminal
I think it was Bond on him at that centre bounce....he'll learn from that, but surely a senior player should've been on their most damaging mid at that juncture?

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back