Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

That was our second least experienced team of the year, 74.8games, losing tex drops the average by about 8 games though. We'll probably be the least experienced team of the round again.
Nicks reflecting on his selection policy:

images

Ugly looks like we’re without Dawson (concussion) Murray (knee) and Keays (suspended) next week
Keays won’t be suspended. The was literally no other option for him and the force applied was only due to his momentum.

This is not the same as Cameron and Bedford last week. Both those players started their tackle upright and then forced the player the ground (for what it’s worth I though Bedford had no other option but I understand Cameron’s suspension).

But keys lunged to make the tackle and could not have stayed upright. He will be fine.

Keays won’t be suspended. The was literally no other option for him and the force applied was only due to his momentum.

This is not the same as Cameron and Bedford last week. Both those players started their tackle upright and then forced the player the ground (for what it’s worth I though Bedford had no other option but I understand Cameron’s suspension).

But keys lunged to make the tackle and could not have stayed upright. He will be fine.
He is lucky there is no concussion.

That is the difference between no games and four game suspension.

Rankine unlucky there was incidental clash of heads that caused the concussion.

That doesn't happen, Rankine played last night.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

He is lucky there is no concussion.

That is the difference between no games and four game suspension.

Rankine unlucky there was incidental clash of heads that caused the concussion.

That doesn't happen, Rankine played last night.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Was there no concussion? I feel better if that’s the case.

Also helps that Caldwell had one arm free and looks like he landed on that first

Ugly:
  • Keane. He is a serious serious liability in defence. No body contact, let’s his player run way too loose and he calls switches incredibly late often leaving us with two blokes that look like they’re standing in no man’s land because they don’t have time to switch.
Nah

That all makes perfect sense until you watch the replay. Once you slow it down and zoom it in, you can see that Keays is wearing navy, red and yellow.

The way that players throw their heads into the ground / add to the spin in the tackle to try and get a free is terrible so the moment.

So many examples of Dons players staging for this type of free.

The two that will “get looked at” are both in this category.

There was a tackle on Berry in the musket of the ground that was a total sling - that the crappy commentators went out of their way to describe as the perfect tackle - that was way worse as a potential to cause injury … of course we got done Htb !!

Playing with intense defensive pressure doesn't mean slow the game down.

It means force turn overs and errors so you can smash them on the rebound.

Defensive pressure BRINGS attack.
It also means control when in possession, not risking turnovers, taking time to consider options, don't give the ball back.

Plus kick to areas where it will be easier to defend from and we won't get hurt on the rebound if there's a turnover.

Kick to numbers, square the contest, force a stoppage. Time to set up structures in front and behind the ball. Win the territory battle.

Gives control rather than an open game where control is limited.

Irony is that we're far better when it's a fast, open, chaotic game. We play our best when we're behind and suddenly have no choice but to roll the dice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nicks my hero? I think under the circumstances he did okay last night. You kinda get sick of the Nicks bashing in every thread, but to be fair no coach will ever be good enough for our crows. Eventually the fans will turn on them like they have done since at least the Neil Craig days. Fans are a fickle bunch. They turn on players, coaches, board members, presidents, past players, anyone and everyone! Nobody is safe. I’ll guarantee that if Simon Goodwin ever coached our club, his name would be mud before his tenure had finished. I must be old now, because all that seems too much effort. I just want to watch a game of footy these days. But you know, your opinion is allowed and I wasn’t looking for a debate, but I do hope you can find joy in your support of our great club even with Nicks at the helm, because he’s gonna be around a while longer yet.
How is our club a great club?

Ugly. When Rachele kicked the winning goal and from the centre bounce, Essendon just got a clean uncontested clearance and f50 entry that they really should have done better with.

And then when trying to close the game out, we let them have another entry.

It’s no wonder we are normally on the losing end of these sorts of games.

I'll cut the team some slack for that. Bond and Taylor were in that centre bounce. Merrett towelled up Bond

CBAs (Centre Clearances)

ROB 35 (2)
Berry 26 (1)
Taylor 23 (3)
Laird 20 (3)
Dawson 18 (3)
Soligo 13 (1)
Bond 8
Keays 6 (1)
Himmelberg 3 (1)

Cook and Michalanney also had 1 centre clearance each.
Taylor and Soligo in the middle (with Rankine) has me actually hopeful for our future.

Ugly:
  • Keane. He is a serious serious liability in defence. No body contact, let’s his player run way too loose and he calls switches incredibly late often leaving us with two blokes that look like they’re standing in no man’s land because they don’t have time to switch.
Praying Murray is ok. Butts, Worrell and Murray together and we will be much harder to score against IMO.

Was a fun game, but I did miss the last 10 minutes due to the friends I was with deciding they had enough.

Great:

The Rachele redemption arc with the last goal. He does look like he's carrying an injury though.

Keays had a career game. 5 goals, 12 score involvements, 5 score launches, 8 tackles, 28 PA, 22 disposals. Absolutely nuts.

Fogarty was phenomenal.

Good:

It's not the breakout game due to the way Thilthorpe faded in the second half, but he took McKay to the cleaners in the first.
That breakout game where he absolutely destroys an opponent seems close though. Also, it's worth keeping an eye on, but our ball movement has looked a lot better since he's been back. Small sample size notwithstanding, but maybe we missed TT a whole lot more than it seemed we would.

I got to say, I really like Berry in our midfield mix. His ball movement skills has also improved out of sight this year and just that strength and explosiveness is such a weapon in the clinches. Would like him to get more ball as the next step, and turn these 15--21 disposal games into a consistent 21--24 disp. games just to help keep the wolves at bay.

Another week where my eyebrows are raised in Dowling direction. A quiet performer, but the kid has something that should hold up long term. A goal, 7 marks, 490 m at 68% KE, 8 ground ball gets and 5 clearances (= highest for Adelaide) certainly is quite the tick.

I won't say our defense held up well when it lost both key defenders, because conceding 113 points says it didn't. I will give them some bit of credit however because it could have easily blown out to 140--150 points with how much disruption had occurred and that we completely lost the handle on how to prevent the opposition from transitioning the ball.

Happy with Taylors game. Not a 4-quarter performance by any stretch of the imagination, but the kid owned his moments and his contested game seems like its in a place where he'll be a long-term regular.

Whilst not amazing, Laird had a sneaky good game. Couple of goal assists and 7 clearances is a pretty good outing for an inside mid.

Meh:

Keane had a rough game, but there was enough circumstance to it where it's a shrug and move on kind of deal.

Bond looked like he was overawed and out of place this week.

Bad:

Dawson, Murrays and Butts injuries. Fingers crossed they're all minor, or even nothing, but this game was a bit of a massacre.

Our slow starts. We've had a few games in the last few months where we've been 2-3 goals down within the first 10 minutes. It's all well and good to fight back, but this is something that needs work.
"Friends".

Yes if he keeps,dominating

Glad someone (Browny?) mentioned this at 3 qtr time saying how unusual it was. They didn’t replay (on Kayo) the Merrett free kick/goal in the last qtr also which was perhaps dubious. Fog and TT could easily have recd frees in the last qtr in marking contests also.

BT was a fn disgrace as others have said. Didn’t notice other commentators as biased though.

PS nice way to start a leisurely Sat morning with a couple of coffees in bed and rewatching the Kayo mini highlights and then the entire last quarter!
BT just isn't a natural fit for channel 7, his MMM commentary is like listening to a different person.

I listened to the 5AA commentary while I was driving and switched to 3AW because they seemed more interested. Sam Tugwell I think it is? He is just so bland.

That was our second least experienced team of the year, 74.8games, losing tex drops the average by about 8 games though. We'll probably be the least experienced team of the round again.
So experience is only useful if playing well... ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back