Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

The best play of our season by a mile…

Hinge kicks in from full back to just inside the 50m arc (can’t remember who marked it)
Then sprints and gets the handball back and then hits a 55m kick to Fog who doesn’t break stride amongst a few Essendon players
Fog keeps running and nails a goal from outside 50

All in 19 seconds!!!
Hinge kicks to Butts. Butts handballs to Hinge. Hinge to Fog. Fog to goal. 3 touches 15 seconds and training was done boys.

Just gotta say could have killed you all for beating us earlier in the year … for whatever reason you always play your grand final against us but tonight, tonight you made up for it. Thank you so much you truly lovely team!

Nothing like seeing those drug cheating w***ers get those just desserts especially Draper missing from 20m out after the last encounter.

Once again thank you AFC!

Ugly:

Hearing Laird admit after the game that the plan was to play defensively and stop them from scoring. He even said that they felt uncomfortable with how high scoring it was. This just underlines what we already knew, Matthew Nicks entire philosophy is garbage. He's like a cheap knock off of Ross Lyon or Paul Roos.

Fog, Keays and Hinge were our best. All had huge games.

Berry was decent and I hope we retain him. Managed to use his pace to get a bit of space on the outside at times. Was a pleasant change from his usual dour inside game.

Nank. I really like this kid. He's athletic, always remains composed, his disposal is decent, and he reads it well in the air. Absolute bargain recruiting him in the PSD.

Thilthorpe did his job with 2 goals but had a disappointing night. Just not reading the ball in the air very well and dropping the ones where he actually was in the correct position. Struggled with the pace once it hit the deck too.

Rachele did Rachele things. A bit lazy and soft at times but his raw talent was enough to hit the scoreboard and win the game for us. Persist with this bloke.

Taylor faded out but looks he will be a quality mid once he's built his tank. Excellent skills, smart player and reasonable in traffic. I hope we keep him. Don't let him piss off back to Victoria, it will backfire.

Laird was a mixed bag as always. Fought hard but is let down by poor disposal and often unintelligent football.

Soligo I'm not sure about. Was surprised he ended up with 21 disposals. Had some nice moments but I didn't feel like he impacted the game very much.

Keane. I didn't think he had a great game. I like him as an intercept defender but he can really get into a rut and leak goals when he's forced to play accountable 1v1 footy.

Cook not overly influential but had some nice disposals in the back half.

Dowling is a hard player to read. Doesn't appear to be particularly athletic but he makes good decisions and generally uses it well. Keeps hitting the scoreboard which is handy.

Max was just okay generally but he was great in the last quarter when he took some good marks which stifled Essendon's momentum.

O'Brien is a garbage footballer. Draper dominated him around the ground. Had a huge last quarter though. I'll give him that.

Murphy is truly awful. He fumbles everything. He doesn't find the footy, he doesn't kick goals and he isn't even useful as a defensive forward. How this bloke keeps getting games is beyond me.

Himmelberg. Slow, lazy and out-bodied in marking contests. A huge waste of time and I can't wait until he goes to GWS.

Smith. Just a turnover merchant now and a sad shadow of his former self. Please retire. He's only dragging his reputation through the mud by persisting.

Sholl. I can only shrug. I didn't really notice him.

Bond. See Sholl.
Mostly agree, but I think Soligo was better than you’ve said and Cook much worse. Dowling is a very smart and natural footballer. Also has a good kick. Need more of those types.

Will have to rewatch but I thought Hinge's kick went directly to Fog. Cleanest play of the year though. The most anti-Nicks bit of footy we've played too.
How does this work exactly? All the shit stuff is Nicks’ fault, all the good stuff is in spite of him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ugly: the fact that we had to rely on the other team stuffing up to win a close game
I wouldn't get too hung up on that. That's how these games are decided. Usually it's us stuffing up, if we're executing and the other team is stuffing up that means we're playing better. Perceived pressure can cause dumb decisions/skill errors.

And of course with footy you can always go the other way. The only reason we didn't win by more was TT stuffed up a shot 10m out and ROB can't kick a set shot.

Mostly agree, but I think Soligo was better than you’ve said and Cook much worse. Dowling is a very smart and natural footballer. Also has a good kick. Need more of those types.
Soligo looks banged up, like he's struggling with a groin or something along those lines.

Soligo was the one I was least sure about tbh.

Cook didn't really impact the game but wasn't helped by how much our coaches jerked him around. I saw him in the forward line, on a wing and in the backline at different stages.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back