Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Check our midfield. Had to be one of the least experienced ever.
Our last quarter was mainly Keays, Berry and Taylor. Then Keays went off. We had Bond in there for the first time all game. In his second game.
Bond was on Merrett in the second and got moved off him onto Mcgrath in the the 3rd then back onto Merrett in the last, not sure if him being moved off Merrett lined up with their run on or if it was just a coincidence.

Keays beat Durham (who had a very good game too) to that last ground ball he got forward for the Rachele goal, elite. Played a very good game as a midfielder in the last quarter and still kicked a goal!
Speaking of which, far out I’d kill to have Durham in our side

Way more explosive than I thought he was

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fog: if finals aren't on the card, it's about getting games into the younger guys like Bond, Dowling, Taylor.

Can we make him coach too?
Leaders step up when required, and he did. Murphy and Smith take note.
Id make him vc next year

I thought Nicks choice to tag Martin with Murphy was strange and definitely didn't work
Martin and Merrett were nowhere near the factors they normally are against us or anyone else. Whatever Nicks did obviously worked.

Where we fell down was negating the pair of 200 cm wingers, who were definitely factors. I had to feel for poor old Sholl who was unable to mark against his oppo who was twice his height. Cook provided a better marking contest, but was mainly spoiled.

I thought Nicks choice to tag Martin with Murphy was strange and definitely didn't work

Anyone with an ounce of foresight would realise this wouldn't work. Murph is a midget, he defensive pressure is zilch. Similarly McHenry, no one cares about your tackles when you weigh less than the average woman.

I wouldn't get too hung up on that. That's how these games are decided. Usually it's us stuffing up, if we're executing and the other team is stuffing up that means we're playing better. Perceived pressure can cause dumb decisions/skill errors.

And of course with footy you can always go the other way. The only reason we didn't win by more was TT stuffed up a shot 10m out and ROB can't kick a set shot.
And when RT and DF were held when the ball came into our fwd line, 1 particularly blatant in the 4th against DF not paid, it is hard to score.

Compared to the willingness to pay frees im Dons F50...

Ugly:

Hearing Laird admit after the game that the plan was to play defensively and stop them from scoring. He even said that they felt uncomfortable with how high scoring it was. This just underlines what we already knew, Matthew Nicks entire philosophy is garbage. He's like a cheap knock off of Ross Lyon or Paul Roos.
Crows have been the type of club that plays more aggressively than defensive for years now. No wonder they've gone backwards in recent times, Nick's trying to change the DNA engrained in the club

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back