Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Adelaide, Brisbane and Carlton will be issued please explain letters by the AFL over their handling of head knocks​

The AFL will issue three please explain letters over concussion protocols management, following incidents involving Jordan Dawson, Harry McKay and Harris Andrews.

Dawson was involved in an incident with Essendon’s Nate Caddy in the third quarter of the Crows’ win on Friday night.
The Crows captain stayed on the ground after being tended to by medicos, and Adelaide said it was another incident involving him and Nic Martin in the fourth quarter – after which Dawson self-reported symptoms – that led to him being put in concussion protocols.

After the game, Melbourne legend Garry Lyon teed off at Dawson’s HIA been conducted on the ground.
“That is staggering … If it is a hamstring, they ain’t doing it on the ground. This is a brain injury, get the bloke off and do it properly,” he told Fox Footy.

The AFL said on Saturday that the MRO believed it “was reasonable for Caddy to contest the ball in the way he did and in the circumstances which included Dawson being pushed forward and downwards into his path”.

Adelaide, Brisbane and Carlton will be issued please explain letters by the AFL over their handling of head knocks​

The AFL will issue three please explain letters over concussion protocols management, following incidents involving Jordan Dawson, Harry McKay and Harris Andrews.

Dawson was involved in an incident with Essendon’s Nate Caddy in the third quarter of the Crows’ win on Friday night.
The Crows captain stayed on the ground after being tended to by medicos, and Adelaide said it was another incident involving him and Nic Martin in the fourth quarter – after which Dawson self-reported symptoms – that led to him being put in concussion protocols.

After the game, Melbourne legend Garry Lyon teed off at Dawson’s HIA been conducted on the ground.
“That is staggering … If it is a hamstring, they ain’t doing it on the ground. This is a brain injury, get the bloke off and do it properly,” he told Fox Footy.

The AFL said on Saturday that the MRO believed it “was reasonable for Caddy to contest the ball in the way he did and in the circumstances which included Dawson being pushed forward and downwards into his path”.

THE VFL CAN F*** OFF
can they also explain the stupid ump decision on holding the ball
the gift handouts to VIC clubs

Coaches votes:

Adelaide forward Ben Keays has received a perfect 10 from the coaches, following the Crows’ two point win over Essendon on Friday night at Marvel Stadium.

Keays was prolific throughout the night, booting a career-high five goals and registering 22 disposals, 12 score involvements, 28 pressure acts and eight tackles.

The 27-year-old has polled in each of Adelaide’s past four matches, picking up 25 votes over that time.

Keays was one of four Crows recognised by the coaches.

Darcy Fogarty received eight votes for a commanding performance up forward, kicking four goals, while recording 17 disposals and taking eight marks.

Backman Max Michalanney received one vote for his efforts in defence, where he recorded 16 disposals and six marks.

Sam Berry rounded out the vote-getters, polling one for his 18 disposals and 22 pressure acts.

Essendon v Adelaide​

10 Ben Keays (ADEL)
8 Darcy Fogarty (ADEL)
5 Zach Merrett (ESS)
5 Samuel Durham (ESS)
1 Max Michalanney (ADEL)
1 Sam Berry (ADEL)

Pretty close to consensus between the coaches then.

5 Keays
4 Fogarty
3 Merrett
2 Durham
1 Michalanney/Berry

5 Keays
4 Fogarty
3 Durham
2 Merrett
1 Berry/Michalanney

Why would we have taken Dawson off? He didn't cop a head high bump, as confirmed by both the umpires and MRP
What I dont get is if Caddy gets off because in part, Dawson contributed to the impact by being pushed (by Stringer) why isn’t Stringer pulled up? Without Stringers push (non-football act) there is no head high collision.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Easy, it wasn't a suspendably bad head knock, so we figured he was fine

No Strachan either, might be time to give it up Froggy...
As I’ve said repeatedly I’ve never been an advocate for him, rather Rob needed to be dropped to give him a rocket.
Rob was soundly beaten for most of the game by someone you said (from memory) is no good either

As I’ve said repeatedly I’ve never been an advocate for him, rather Rob needed to be dropped to give him a rocket.
Rob was soundly beaten for most of the game by someone you said (from memory) is no good either
Did you actuallu watch the game?

He was tag teamed by Todd Goldstein and Sam Draper all night yet still won the hit outs 47 - 40 ROB 47 Goldstein 19 Draper 21 Thilthorpe 1 Himmelberg 1

Did you actuallu watch the game?

He was tag teamed by Todd Goldstein and Sam Draper all night yet still won the hit outs 47 - 40 ROB 47 Goldstein 19 Draper 21 Thilthorpe 1 Himmelberg 1
Yes I was there, he was poor but for a short period in the 4th.
Did you miss his three goal turn around?
He’s lucky Draper missed one from 15m out otherwise that’s two goals he would have had kicked on him.
Himmelberg matched up on Goldy for a reasonable amount so he wasn’t tag teamed all night.

Himmelberg matched up on Goldy for a reasonable amount so he wasn’t tag teamed all night.
Yeah that went well all those hit outs Berg tallied up....Rob clocked up 91% T.O.G.

Rob attended 92% CBA's Himmelberg 8% CBA's Draper 50% CBA's Goldstein 50% CBA's

By my reckoning there would have been 38 CB's ROB would have attended 35 Himmelberg 3 Godstein 19 Draper 19?

Last edited:
I owe Bovo an apology: he challenged me (which was fair enough)

and I replied with:
"I did not say that. Not once, nor did I imply it." <== that's demonstrably wrong,
because,
well, actually I did :rolleyes: :embarrassedv1:; in my previous post:
"We win last night, and Nicks is your hero? :confusedv1:".

I couldn't let it slide without apologising, unreservedly.
I did notice that actually. I checked it twice and thought about responding, but realised we had gone past pettiness so thought it better to let it slide! Thanks mate!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R19: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Essendon

Remove this Banner Ad

Back