Preview R20: Changes vs. Hawthorn

Will Daniel Curtin come in this week?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

A forward line of Fogarty, Walker, Thilthorpe and Himmelberg sure is something, alright. Not to mention Brayden Cook at 191cm.

Crazy to think we're trying to figure out how to squeeze five KPDs into our side and now we can only field two of them. I guess this is proof positive that the club no longer views Curtin as a KPD option!

If the club is just not going to play Dan Curtin even after he performs in the SANFL like he was asked to, why did they bother drafting him and not just take the WCE offer of their 2024 1st? Yeah I know he is a 1st year player and a tall and they apparently take more time to develop. But his form has warranted selection and yet here we are. I just shake my head as the season is long over and it could not be a better time to get him into the side at home V the hawks and just play him. I'll take the inconsistency while he learns in an environment that has no pressure of finals qualifying attached.

Like someone else said, lets look forward to another 7 possession display from Murphy and watch a guy that could be anything kick his heels again in the SANFL :mad:

What better opportunity, under Nicks, does Curtin have to crack the team than now?
  • He’s been our best in reserves for a month
  • We’re not in finals contention
  • Our three best mids, Dawson, Rankine, Crouch are out
  • We’re versing a fellow young and upcoming midfield
The Dawson out for a week thing is the absolute 100% clincher in the role he’s been playing well in sanfl

It’s the role he’s built to play long term let’s find out where he’s at

What better opportunity, under Nicks, does Curtin have to crack the team than now?
  • He’s been our best in reserves for a month
Yes, that's the problem! Curtin is absolutely useless at reading poetry to his contemporaries. ;)

Its a bit of a fallacy that this year 7 of a rebuild though, we have been shit for 7 years, but we did not start a rebuild in 2018, the recruitment of Gibbs is evidence enough of that.

For mine the rebuild didnt start until we got rid of the likes of Jenkins, Betts and Lynch, that was when we conceded we were cooked and had to start again.

I certainly don't think we're in year 7 of our rebuild. We're in year 5.

The point is, it's not like your rebuild should consist of seven years of garbage and then suddenly you're contending. It should consist of a few years of garbage, followed by a slow rise peaking after seven years. (Or however many years you think it takes to rebuild)

I saw earlier Vader mention that rebuilds take "seven years (minimum)" just to get to the point where you're contending for finals again. That seems extremely pessimistic. If any coach put that plan forward in their interview they would get laughed out the door.

I would think that if a rebuild takes seven years just to get to the point where you're back in the pack, you've done it wrong.

Last edited:
The evidence suggests experience actually makes us worse under Nicks

2020 - 13th most experience (57.8 average games played) - 3 wins (18th)
2021 - 16th (54.2) - 7 wins (15th)
2022 - 18th (45.6) - 8 wins (14th)
2023 - 17th (51.7) - 11 wins (10th)
2024 - 15th (60.2) - 7 wins so far (14th so far)

Nicks two best seasons are the two with the least experience on the list

Hang on - so we have had the least experienced list in the comp a couple of years ago, are still bottom 4 but definitely turning, and we haven’t been playing finals!

And we got less experienced through Nicks first 3 years! That does almost provide evidence of a comprehensive rebuild.

And most likely this year will be his second best (with 1 more win) - and I think we would all agree we have been smashed by injuries this year that we weren’t last year.

A decent off season - last year was poor - and we should expect to move into finals contention. If we do it right we should move straight into flag contention

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Official teams

IN: Walker, Borlase, Jones

OUT: Butts (foot), Murray (knee), Dawson (concussion)

Himmelberg remains in the side. Sub from Smith, Himmelberg, Cook, Rachele, Taylor

Curtin and Worrell emergencies
What is the logic behind Jones?

I'm assuming he is the Tassie VFL captain in 2026, can't get picks for that trade

At thier best these guys have some value to the team (most likely depth after this season). Murphy hasn't been at his best this year though and should've been dropped multiple times

While this is completely true (he should have been dropped) - he has got a lot of the blame for what happened in the first half of the year. And missed 6-7 of the first 11 games

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats a paddlin

There's nothing to look forward to with this match. Uninspiring selection against a fast side full of momentum.

We're going to get shredded. Hopefully the Saints win so we can go a pick ahead of them.

Like most of the recent matches, the best way to enjoy them is to watch specific players. Keep an eye on Bond, or Taylor, or Dowling, and see how they go.

Can't wait until we get the win and all the whingers go quiet!
Any victory will be entirely Phyrric in nature.

Worsens our draft hand, emboldens ChromeDome to continue with his awful gameplan and selections, gets the clappers all fired up.

At the expense of the clubs future stars, although at this rate, they should be looking elsewhere for opportunities.

I would love to see a sub 30k crowd on a perfect day for football, it's the only thing these idiots understand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview R20: Changes vs. Hawthorn

Back