From yesterday's game:

Worrell - 28 games
Nankervis - 22 games
Keane - 30 games
Michalanney - 43 games
Bond - 5 games
Taylor - 7 games
Curtin - 5 games

That's 30% of our squad yesterday, who are still learning more mentally, how to concentrate for an entire game

Curtin got caught out ball watching twice ....that won't happen with more experience ....but youth still cost you games
Worrel and Max are stars of the future, maybe AA.

Curtin is a KPD

Taylor isn't ready

Dowling isn't ready

Playing young guys won't help our performances

Saying bullshit, and then when you're proven wrong, pretend it was your idea all along seems to be club modus operandi.

It was crazy hearing Nicks say Curtin was a key defender just days ahead of him playing midfield at AFL level.

Like does he think we're stupid?

Exactly, but the Adelaide BF board know more than the coaches, the fitness staff and the lad himself?

ADELAIDE defender Josh Worrell learned a harsh lesson in his first proper pre-season, but it was one that has made him the professional he is as he prepares to enter a crucial 2024 campaign in career-best shape.

Worrell, who was drafted in 2019 at pick No.28, remembers entering his second season off the back of a summer where he didn't meet the standards required of an AFL player, and he paid the price once training started.

Having taken on a new approach ahead of 2023, it was hamstring injuries instead that set him back, but the 22-year-old is now confident that his professionalism and an injury-free run can combine to give him the best preparation possible as he enters his fifth season.

"My first proper pre-season, I didn't come back in the nick I'd like to. I was pretty unfit and a long way off it, but in some ways I'm glad I did it," Worrell told AFL.com.au.

"It was during that COVID year, I went back to Melbourne and I wasn't really training with anyone and probably didn't know what the standard was. Footy probably wasn't front of mind, so I was a bit lost.

"It was a tough time, but I think it really taught me a lot, so I know now that I'll never let myself get to that position ever again. It really just made me the individual I am today.

"Then last year I felt like I was really fit and I was getting into the right area of being more professional, but I did my hammy and that kind of offset my pre-season. Hopefully this year it can really all come together."
Photos

So far it has all come together for Worrell, who has set personal best markers in the Crows' time trials and his gym work after training with a large group of Crows, led by former skipper Taylor Walker, during the off-season.

"I was pretty toey to get back into the swing of things, so I'm loving it and I'm probably the fittest I've ever been," he said.

"When you have those numbers you can afford to do a bit more footy stuff, which you wouldn't necessarily get if you were obviously by yourself or in small groups.

"I'm just feeling a lot stronger generally. Even in the training, I'm not feeling fatigued as early on and I'm moving really well, which is nice. It just shows if you keep putting in the work you're going to get the results."

Worrell gained a further appreciation for the importance of a full pre-season last year when he suffered a hamstring injury before Christmas and then tweaked it again before returning for the club's internal trial match.

The injury reoccurred in the Crows' pre-season match against Fremantle, however, with the talented defender subsequently sidelined until round 11 after working his way back to AFL level through the SANFL.

NEWS
New year, new faces: Every club's new players for 2024

"I hadn't had an injury in a while and you see how much you crave being out there with the boys and not being in rehab," Worrell said.

"It puts into perspective how quickly the season goes as well. You can have a little hamstring hiccup and then next thing you know half of your season is gone."

Worrell went on to play 12 games in the most consistent patch of his career and shapes as an important player for the Crows in 2024, with key defender Nick Murray sidelined by an ACL injury and versatile backman Tom Doedee leaving for Brisbane as a free agent.

With the ability to play on tall and small opponents while also providing a rebound option, the 195cm defender's preferred position is closer to the role Doedee played, but he is ready to serve the Crows however necessary.

"It's a young backline and with Nick Murray going down, the coaches have said there's a chance to be a leader down there," Worrell said.

"In an ideal world I'd love to be that third tall defender, but unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world, so I think my role will always depend on match-ups.

"Our key back stocks have improved with Dan Curtin coming in and there's a few boys to choose from.

"It's a really young backline, but there's a lot of talent in there and I'm sure we can match it with the best."

https://www.afl.com.au/gather-round...utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=articlewidget

lol, he was drafted in 2019 and is talking about his first couple of preseasons, he played regular footy from rd 20 2022. He was ready during 2022 and had to wait until a bung Doedee couldn’t play any more.

And how many times do I need to repeat it? A senior Crows official said he and Doedee couldn’t play together and Doedee was keeping him out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly, but the Adelaide BF board know more than the coaches, the fitness staff and the lad himself?

ADELAIDE defender Josh Worrell learned a harsh lesson in his first proper pre-season, but it was one that has made him the professional he is as he prepares to enter a crucial 2024 campaign in career-best shape.

Worrell, who was drafted in 2019 at pick No.28, remembers entering his second season off the back of a summer where he didn't meet the standards required of an AFL player, and he paid the price once training started.

Having taken on a new approach ahead of 2023, it was hamstring injuries instead that set him back, but the 22-year-old is now confident that his professionalism and an injury-free run can combine to give him the best preparation possible as he enters his fifth season.

"My first proper pre-season, I didn't come back in the nick I'd like to. I was pretty unfit and a long way off it, but in some ways I'm glad I did it," Worrell told AFL.com.au.

"It was during that COVID year, I went back to Melbourne and I wasn't really training with anyone and probably didn't know what the standard was. Footy probably wasn't front of mind, so I was a bit lost.

"It was a tough time, but I think it really taught me a lot, so I know now that I'll never let myself get to that position ever again. It really just made me the individual I am today.

"Then last year I felt like I was really fit and I was getting into the right area of being more professional, but I did my hammy and that kind of offset my pre-season. Hopefully this year it can really all come together."

Photos

So far it has all come together for Worrell, who has set personal best markers in the Crows' time trials and his gym work after training with a large group of Crows, led by former skipper Taylor Walker, during the off-season.

"I was pretty toey to get back into the swing of things, so I'm loving it and I'm probably the fittest I've ever been," he said.

"When you have those numbers you can afford to do a bit more footy stuff, which you wouldn't necessarily get if you were obviously by yourself or in small groups.

"I'm just feeling a lot stronger generally. Even in the training, I'm not feeling fatigued as early on and I'm moving really well, which is nice. It just shows if you keep putting in the work you're going to get the results."

Worrell gained a further appreciation for the importance of a full pre-season last year when he suffered a hamstring injury before Christmas and then tweaked it again before returning for the club's internal trial match.

The injury reoccurred in the Crows' pre-season match against Fremantle, however, with the talented defender subsequently sidelined until round 11 after working his way back to AFL level through the SANFL.

NEWS
New year, new faces: Every club's new players for 2024
"I hadn't had an injury in a while and you see how much you crave being out there with the boys and not being in rehab," Worrell said.

"It puts into perspective how quickly the season goes as well. You can have a little hamstring hiccup and then next thing you know half of your season is gone."

Worrell went on to play 12 games in the most consistent patch of his career and shapes as an important player for the Crows in 2024, with key defender Nick Murray sidelined by an ACL injury and versatile backman Tom Doedee leaving for Brisbane as a free agent.

With the ability to play on tall and small opponents while also providing a rebound option, the 195cm defender's preferred position is closer to the role Doedee played, but he is ready to serve the Crows however necessary.

"It's a young backline and with Nick Murray going down, the coaches have said there's a chance to be a leader down there," Worrell said.

"In an ideal world I'd love to be that third tall defender, but unfortunately we don't live in an ideal world, so I think my role will always depend on match-ups.

"Our key back stocks have improved with Dan Curtin coming in and there's a few boys to choose from.

"It's a really young backline, but there's a lot of talent in there and I'm sure we can match it with the best."

https://www.afl.com.au/gather-round...utm_medium=website&utm_campaign=articlewidget
Look at the period he’s talking about! It was when he was first drafted, not 2022!!

I don't think he's that bad with ball in hand. Better than I expected. Has looked fairly composed as well.
Has definitely got the composure and the confidence to hold onto the ball and work through traffic and make a better decision, just at times he his execution has let him down.

Regardless he's definitely exceeding my expectations so far.

Seven years on the trot out of contention is also very boring
This is one of the dumbest comments, that keeps getting trotted out .....just shows no footy intellect, or an ability to access scenario's

That is not entirely true. A senior club official said they couldn’t play Worrell and Doedee together and they preferred an injured Doedee than give Worrell a chance, then he came in played well and shock horror they played together.
Now this is just a blatant lie

Makes me laugh a player can talk about being not doing what it takes in his first year and it’s used as a defence not to debut until rd 20 in his first year.

Ignoring the club selection **** ups.

5 more 50-60 games inc Soli, Rachele, TT, Berry and someone else (just forget after checking haha)

So 12 players under 60 games..,,,
Facts just can't be factored into some of the thoughtless rants ......as some have said, it's an anonymous forum, so posters can say what they want

Pretty much like most of the print & digital media today .....any semblance of accuracy is purely coincidental

Now this is just a blatant lie
No it is 100% not. A very very senior club official spoke to someone very close to me at the time and his explanation of not playing Worrell was Doedee and Worrell played the same position. A few weeks later Doedee succumbs to the injury he was clearly carrying. Then Doedee returns and what do you know, they played together.

And to prove it to you Wayne this was in a private PM:

IMG_8175.jpeg

Last edited:
That is not entirely true. A senior club official said they couldn’t play Worrell and Doedee together and they preferred an injured Doedee than give Worrell a chance, then he came in played well and shock horror they played together.

Love that George doesn’t answer back these days and I get to have the final say :)

My first proper pre-season, I didn't come back in the nick I'd like to. I was pretty unfit and a long way off it, but in some ways I'm glad I did it," Worrell told AFL.com.au.

Worrell was never going to play "early" given his fitness and body issues, but he could have played earlier than he did. Prioritising an underdone Doedee over him was a bad move, but it probably only cost him a handful of games in the end.

Looks like one of the coaches gave Mrouch a 5, and the other didn't have him. He had a good game, but not better than most of the others on the list (excl Darcy. I had a better game than Darcy).

Yep, with those numbers the only possible outcome is one coach gave him BOG and the other didn't give him a single vote. Always fascinating when that happens!

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R22: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Footscray

Remove this Banner Ad

Back