Review R22: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Footscray

Remove this Banner Ad

I think if you do your homework .....this coincided with all the negativity on HAW performances

HAW picked up as soon as Day returned ....which gave Newcombe a shot in the arm, given his early season form was worse than terrible

Dear has replaced Lewis admirably ....but Lewis is injury prone anyway

So at Hawthorn, a first year player can slot in straight away just fine replacing a KPF, but at Adelaide using first year players just means we're going to be inconsistent and bad?

Surely you see the double standard here.

And if Hawthorn could plug injuries with inexperience and pick up their performances when they had a small injury list, why couldn't we? When we had few injuries we did NOT play well which points to injuries not being the main factor.

There's a niche role there for him

Hamill is injury prone. We seem to have moved on from Jones as a defender. Ryan seems more a flanker/running player.

Unfashionable but if he can get the job done, there's a spot there.
Luke Brown had a solid career from it, and it would seem Bond is trending in that direction too.

Not sure the relevance? Name a rebuild coach that performed and got sacked

If Nicks won 12-14 games in his third year like Mitchell has, instead of winning just 8 games and coming 14th, I don't reckon anyone would be criticising him.

In hindsight, absolutely. That's not how it works though so hard to hold people to account that can't see into the future. Maybe we should invest in a better crystal ball?

I wanted him out in 2022.
My Best team if all are healthy:

F Rachele Fogarty McAdam
HF Rankine Walker Thilthorpe
C Dawson Berry Soligo
HB Milera Murray Smith
B Parnell Butts Worrell
RUCK O'Brien Laird Keays
INTER Sloane Hinge Schoenberg Sholl (one of Murphy/McHenry)

EMG: Doedee, Pedlar, Crouch, Hately

Worrell not having more AFL experience is on us. We refused to play him.

Nank also to a lesser extent.
The lad himself has said it took quite a while to get his head around what was required from a professional AFL player both preparation and mentally wise but of course we know more than the coaches and the fitness staff that work with the player for a large part of most days.

Other than TT and Murray what injuries?
Walker's back injury was severely hampering his movement early in the season. He only missed a couple of games directly because of it, but he was also majorly hampered in the games he did play.

At one point we were so desperate for tall forwards that we reverted to playing Borlase inside the F50 - TT, Walker & Berg were all MIA due to injury, with Gollant & Burgess having played so badly that they forced the selectors to drop them.

Then there's Worrell (broken arm), who missed the middle part of the season. Then there's Crouch & Milera, both of whom have missed significant parts of the season.

I think selecting Smith was one of the biggest handbrakes on the team
Just about every selection policy most posters were calling for early in the year has eventually happened, but too late to get us into finals.
The only thing most of us got wrong was dropping Keays rather than re-positioning him, and the one Nicks hasn’t budged on is dropping the “dangerous” Murphy.

Walker's back injury was severely hampering his movement early in the season. He only missed a couple of games directly because of it, but he was also majorly hampered in the games he did play.

At one point we were so desperate for tall forwards that we reverted to playing Borlase inside the F50 - TT, Walker & Berg were all MIA due to injury, with Gollant & Burgess having played so badly that they forced the selectors to drop them.

Then there's Worrell (broken arm), who missed the middle part of the season. Then there's Crouch & Milera, both of whom have missed significant parts of the season.

I think if you look through most clubs you'll find 4-6 best 22 players being injured or playing with an injury for large parts of the season. It's not unusual

He's become a really good footballer.

How was that "don't argue" on Bont? Hah, nice.

Minimizing his awful disposals as well.
His kicking has improved drastically in the past two seasons, him and crouch too. Both are kicking well.

The lad himself has said it took quite a while to get his head around what was required from a professional AFL player both preparation and mental wise but of course we know more than the coaches and the fitness staff that work with the player for a large part of most days.

Absolutely spot on.

How could we question the decisions of a coach that has the 2nd worst win/loss record in the AFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've had a normal injury run. All sides have missed best 22 players here and there.

Hawthorn for example have missed Sicily, Day and Lewis for chunks of the season
Yes... but the difference is that we don't have the depth to cover our injured players.

Hawthorn's team this week was (on average) 10 months older and 23.9 games more experienced than their Adelaide counterparts.

Keays should be in the All Australian squad
15.9 disposals, 3.7 tackles, 1.52 goals per game as a permanent mid sized forward.

He's a few goals behind Stringer, Fritch, Hayward who might be considered in front of him, but the other stats he's well ahead.

He's giving himself every chance, but he'll want to have another 2 blinders to finish off the year. I have everything crossed that he does, would be his dream come true to make that squad.

I think if you look through most clubs you'll find 4-6 best 22 players being injured or playing with an injury for large parts of the season. It's not unusual
Yes... but unlike most other clubs, we don't have the depth to cover injuries to key players - because we have one of the youngest & least experienced teams in the competition.

This week we were the 2nd youngest and 2nd least experienced team, which has been a consistent story for most of the season. Only Norf were younger & less experienced.

Luke Brown had a solid career from it, and it would seem Bond is trending in that direction too.
I agree, I don't think that role is that niche at all. There are a lot of highly damaging small forwards or hybrid Forward/mids in the comp. If Hugh keep shutting down dangerous players he'll have a role every week!

Yes... but unlike most other clubs, we don't have the depth to cover injuries to key players - because we have one of the youngest & least experienced teams in the competition.

This week we were the 2nd youngest and 2nd least experienced team, which has been a consistent story for most of the season. Only Norf were younger & less experienced.

Our depth is clearly good enough to enable us to beat teams like Western Bulldogs at home.

We've played guys like Bond, Nankervis, Taylor, Dowling and Curtin recently who were "depth" at various points of the year when we had more injuries

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R22: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Footscray

Remove this Banner Ad

Back