Review R22: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Footscray

Remove this Banner Ad

Could Sholl win our B&F, has played nearly every game and been very consistent with some standout games
I’m not sure anyone else has been as consistent.

Could Sholl win our B&F, has played nearly every game and been very consistent with some standout games
Has he had many coaches votes?

Would be a monty to win our most improved you'd think

Should be top 5.

Keays, Hinge, Soligo & Dawson also been good.

Fog going to come home strong too.

Berry was not better than Crouch, pull your head in mate, Crouch is our main and best midfielder and has been all season that he's played
I might suggest Izak Rankine is our best midfielder...or perhaps it's Jordan Dawson? Tough choice really.

I'm happy to "stick my neck out" if you're up for this argument....mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I might suggest Izak Rankine is our best midfielder...or perhaps it's Jordan Dawson? Tough choice really.

I'm happy to "stick my neck out" if you're up for this argument....mate.
Except neither are full time midfielders and likely not into the future either.

I don't want to be too disrespectful as they've both been great for our Club, but how much better do we look without Smith on the HBF and Laird in the middle?

Smith has turned into just bombing it long blindy over the last few years; not creative or attacking in a positive way.

Laird is all bad handballs or dump kicks.

It makes such a huge difference when the players in those roles use the ball properly, look to creative and drive while maintaining possession.

Careful, the "Sak Nix" brigade will be out in force with pitchforks for daring to think anything but a loss is all Nicks' fault
This makes no sense, at all.
"Anything but a loss" = a win or draw. So, a win or a draw is all Nicks' fault? Wtf?

We Nicks-sackers apportion blame quite rightly to Nicks' manymanymany mistakes:
--- playing favorites with seniors like Laird/ Sloane (but for his eye injury, Nicks would still be playing him)/ Smith, by rewarding poor form with continued selection.
WHY has it taken him so long to get Laird out of the midfield and drop Smith? (Hint: because he is dumber'n a sack of hammers).
--- stuffing up sub selections
--- still picking Murphy who has been useless
--- only making good youth selections because of injury to his favoured players
--- starting the season with a shitty, chip-chip, slowdown, defensive game plan
--- being unable on game day to stop opposition goal runs of anywhere from 5 to THIRTEEN goals, yes, THIRTEEN vs Hawks, and so on.
and a win is us getting lucky.
OK, let's talk about win-loss.
Your genius Nicks is 8-12-1 so far this year. He's lost 50% more often than he's won.
Overall, 37-66-1 <== I'll spell that out; he loses 78% more often than he wins. That's a garbage Coaching record. Let's all give Nicks a great big fat pat on the back for those 37 wins, fine --- HUZZAAAAH!! --- but let's kick him in the nuts for every one of the 66 losses.
Yeah, he's been lucky, that several of those wins have been against NM and WCE, or he'd be the shittest AFL Coach ever!
As it turns out, he's only the second-shittest. Big ****ing woop.
There is heaps of promise, in some ways this season is showing more than last season with all the new faces and down form from our best players.
Oh, wot?
Last season we were 12th after 22 rounds. We're currently 15th.
Yes, the new faces have a lot of promise which Nicks consistently ignored until his faves got injured :poov1: :madv1:.
And what does "down form from our best players" actually mean, ffs?
If it wasn't for our best players' good form, we'd be looking at another spoon.
-All our draftees since 2020-2022 have played AFL.
FINALLY! and only by accident, ie the injuries to his golden boys and others.
Nicks has not made a single imaginative, exciting selection of his own where he took a risk and backed in a raw talent that I can recall.
Only maybe Soligo, who used to knock on his door every Monday for a game, then begged to be moved to the midfield himself.
-The only genuine failure is Pedlar (so far)
You're counting Murphy as a success? Jones? Hately? Cook? McAsey?
As for Pedlar, he has been Nicksed, possibly to an irretrievable level.
Forced ridiculously by Nicks to play on Stewart and got dropped for it, Nicks has crushed Pedlar's confidence and now Pedlar (who was showing real, exciting flair when allowed to play his own way) is injured.

Our last 5 years of failure, especially the last three (18th, 15th, 14th, 10th and now back to 15th) of spirit-destroying mediocrity are all on Nicks.
Open your eyes.

ATTENTION AFC: it can be done!

Ninnis has been sacked by the 36ers 6 months into a 2 year contract.

Dawson really isn't suited to midfield.

We played him there as we lacked class in the middle.

With the emerging Sog and Rankine, and Curtin playing, Dawson really should spend less time in there.

Dawson is slow in releasing the ball. Yes a great kick. But he takes time to get hand to foot. And struggles with the quick handball. Hence he had issues being tagged.

His best role is to be the guy that plays every where, depending on the game situation. Including stints in the middle. Which is what he has been doing recently.

Also a pretty good stopper.

I would put him on JHF this week.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

So is Marcus Bontempelli not recognised as a mid using your rationale?
There are plenty of midfielders that don't play as full-time midfielders, you blokes must have missed (full-time) in that post.
Bont has played quite a bit forward at times, the same as Dawson has spent time in other roles.

My expectation is it may even be less than it is currently with Dawson as Soligo, Berry, Rankine, Curtin and likely Edwards share more time on ball.

Versatility is key to the modern day midfield with most teams now only running with 1 or 2 "grunt" midfielders on their roster.

Thus, by having no versatility, Matt Crouch is truly our best midfielder

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R22: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Footscray

Remove this Banner Ad

Back