Review R22: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Footscray

Remove this Banner Ad

Dawson is slow in releasing the ball. Yes a great kick. But he takes time to get hand to foot. And struggles with the quick handball. Hence he had issues being tagged.
Absolutely no difference in ball release timing to Bont ....both take a few steps to steady

So what measure can be used to claim Nicks is a good coach if he has no premierships, no finals appearances and has a terrible win-loss percentage?
Half of the two out of three games we lose are by competitive margins, which is basically the same as winning.

Well then, he’d be finished two weeks from now.

So what is your point?

I'm saying we would extended his contract by 1 year IMO.

If not, he may have slicked back his hair, slid on his gold rings, handed back the Camry and gone home without a presser.

If we win 15 (12 would be ok) games next year I am right and team "NICKS OUT NOW!" look like tin foil hat wearing panic button mashers, if we lose 15 games next year the horde get their wish for a shiny new coach and the "Something to Crow about" VHS gets put to rest.

So there you have it, you don’t believe he deserves re-signing, if that’s the case what the **** are you on about?

Clearly if we didnt re-sign him, we wouldn’t have needed to sack him, we just would not have given him a new contract.
I think we would have done a 1 year extension to 2025, not 2 years.

I'm saying we would extended his contract by 1 year IMO.

If not, he may have slicked back his hair, slid on his gold rings, handed back the Camry and gone home without a presser.

If we win 15 (12 would be ok) games next year I am right and team "NICKS OUT NOW!" look like tin foil hat wearing panic button mashers, if we lose 15 games next year the horde get their wish for a shiny new coach and the "Something to Crow about" VHS gets put to rest.

No, next year it is finals or he gets sacked. There will be no in between.

He might feel he is safe with a two year contract but come the bye if we aren’t comfortably within the 8 he will be under enormous pressure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So you’re saying you would have re-signed him for one year, when, rd 1 like we did or now given we will finish 14/15th?

My reading of it. He’s saying:

If the club had a crystal ball and knew this year was going to be a disaster, they would only have signed him for one more year, ie - to the end of 2025.

It doesn’t really make any sense.

Is Davos playing 4D chess with us?!

My reading of it. He’s saying:

If the club had a crystal ball and knew this year was going to be a disaster, they would only have signed him for one more year, ie - to the end of 2025.

It doesn’t really make any sense.

Is Davos playing 4D chess with us?!
I think Davos has backed himself into a corner and is trying to dig himself out. Now I don’t care what the club would have done, of interest is what Davos would do. If he would have given him a 1 year extension in round 1, why? If he would give him a 1 year extension now, why?

That’s the problem with criticising posters who recognise stupid club decisions, eventually you’ll need to back up your own opinions or you could just do a Wayne, ignore the subject and come back after a win.

I think Davos has backed himself into a corner and is trying to dig himself out. Now I don’t care what the club would have done, of interest is what Davos would do. If he would have given him a 1 year extension in round 1, why? If he would give him a 1 year extension now, why?

That’s the problem with criticising posters who recognise stupid club decisions, eventually you’ll need to back up your own opinions or you could just do a Wayne, ignore the subject and come back after a win.

Can your next alias be Harvey Specter please?

Ill rewrite: The "sak nix" brigade think that a loss is all Nicks' fault and a win is luck.

Its laughable to think Nicks has destroyed Pedlar, because he sure hasn't destroyed: Keays, Walker, Thilthorpe, Berry, Soligo, Fogarty, Worrell, Hinge, Keane, Murray et al. Maybe he has destroyed Murphy and McHenry?

I am sure if Pedlar didn't go to Stewart, you would probably be saying "I would have put Pedlar on Stewart, dumb Nicks"

Perhaps the new faces have taken a bit of time in the SANFL to develop and get AFL ready? Did you see Curtin against Brisbane? No way was that AFL standard. Stupid Nicks hammer sack should have known that Worrell was going to get injured, right?

Dawson, Laird, Smith and Walker haven't been as good as 2023. Our defence has been in and out, missing or injured minutes into games.

Were Jones, Murphy and McAsey drafted after 2020? Was Nicks supposed to know that McAsey had mental health issues? Is Cook an abject failure?

Galucci, Jones, McHenry, Lever, Milera, Doedee, McAsey and Pedlar (at least their respective draft positions) should have all been playing on the weekend for us to be a finals side.

Neil Craig has a better coaching record than Paul Roos and Adam Simpson, coaching records are a dumb stat sometimes.

Nicks has made heaps of mistakes, lots, like any player or coach. Can't deny that. But there is no way known that he deserve to get the sack with the 2nd youngest and 2nd most inexperienced side in the comp running around every week.
Thanks for the non-abusive response; respect :thumbsu: .

I was 3/4 of the way through a detailed reply when I nodded off (oldness, or bored by my own long-windedness more likely, ha!) and twitchy fingers wiped the whole thing. I can't find it.
Shorter version:
I am certainly a 'SAK NIX' Brigadier, but I did not say or imply a lot of the things you replied to eg
"Galucci, Jones, McHenry, Lever, Milera, Doedee, McAsey and Pedlar (at least their respective draft positions) should have all been playing on the weekend for us to be a finals side."
What?
You do know that Lever left after the 2017 GF loss and Gallucci was delisted at the end of 2020, yeah?
It just comes across as entitled, sulking supporters demanding success from a very young and inexperienced list.
Nothing I have ever posted has suggested that the Crows "deserve" success out of any sense of entitlement or a whinge about bad luck etc.
Success is earned. Premierships are earned.
Even Pyke said before the GF that the job was still to be done. All the Crows had done so far was to have the chance to play for the Flag; the winning had yet to be achieved.

"Sulking"? Yeah, maybe I am.
No Premiership since 1998 is hitting hard. NO Finals since 2017 is hitting hard.
Nicks' appalling win-loss record is entirely disappointing. Think about it --- 37.5 wins out of 104 games.
That a success rate of 36.5% --- ANY employee who did 36.5% of the work assigned to them successfully in ANY job would get the sack. I know it's more nuanced than that, but mate, 36.5%???
Many Coaches have had young, inexperienced sides, but only one of them in AFL HISTORY has a worse Coaching record than Nicks. Nice bloke. Dud Coach.
Look at what Carlton, Gold Coast, Essendon and St Kilda have done to themselves over the last decade.
We sack Nicks we end up just like them.
All of those teams are currently above us, have you not noticed? We've ended up below them, ffs.
Regardless, I don't give a Blighty rat's tossbag about any of them.
I only want success for the Crows.

Well, waddaya know, I posted it, unfinished (below), lol@me!! :shoutyoldman::drunk::drunk:

Ill rewrite: The "sak nix" brigade think that a loss is all Nicks' fault and a win is luck.
I'm one of the 'Sak Nix Brigadiers', but I did not say the above, nor imply it.

Btw, thanks for the non-abusive reply; respect :thumbsu: .
Its laughable to think Nicks has destroyed Pedlar, because he sure hasn't destroyed: Keays, Walker, Thilthorpe, Berry, Soligo, Fogarty, Worrell, Hinge, Keane, Murray et al. Maybe he has destroyed Murphy and McHenry?
:think::think: ... it's hard to get excited about the players who've not been destroyed by Nicks.
Keays was a ready-made product who turned 23 in 2020; it's taken Nicks 4+ years to figure out how best to use him.
Walker was a star in his own right, 30 in 2020but I'm nit-picking.
How did Dawson begin his stints in the midfield? By suggesting it to the Coach, not vice versa.
Now, THAT is laughable.
Likewise, Soligo who hounded Nicks for an AFL game, then asked to be given a go in the midfield.
I am sure if Pedlar didn't go to Stewart, you would probably be saying "I would have put Pedlar on Stewart, dumb Nicks".
Nope, never thought it (because it's a ridiculous is-match in terms of height and weight and experience); never would have suggested it, either.
You'd be better off counter-arguing things that I did say, not stuff you've invented.
Perhaps the new faces have taken a bit of time in the SANFL to develop and get AFL ready? Did you see Curtin against Brisbane? No way was that AFL standard.
Yes, the kid was nervous as hell and shell-shocked, for sure. A decent Coach would have said to him @ halftime "You've been selected because we believe in you. Shake off that half of footy and show us what you've got" ie give him a pep talk and some confidence. Subbing him at half-time is soul-destroying for a rookie --- followed by --- then he was dropped, later made sub and when subbed on he sat on the pine for the first 10 minutes of the last quarter. What is the use/point of that?
Anyway, let's see if Curtin sticks around or seeks a trade back West, fair enough?
Stupid Nicks hammer sack should have known that Worrell was going to get injured, right?
Nope. Again, I never thought it, or said it.
You'd be better off counter-arguing things that I did say, not stuff you've invented.
Dawson, Laird, Smith and Walker haven't been as good as 2023.
Your point? How does that reflect on Nicks as an awful Coach?
Dawson and Walker have been carrying niggles.
Laird, astonishingly runner up in the 2023 BnF, was an error-ridden, stat-padding, high-bombing liability and carried that into 2024.

Our defence has been in and out, missing or injured minutes into games.
Again, your point?
Nicks is being hampered in his brilliance by injuries to players?
Nicks was well-established shit before Murray, Thilthorpe, Worrell and Milera went down.
1) Were Jones, Murphy and McAsey drafted after 2020? 2) Was Nicks supposed to know that McAsey had mental health issues? 3) Is Cook an abject failure?
In order: 1) man-child Jones was drafted at #9 (!!) end 2018, Murphy as a rookie, same year; McAsey #6 (!!!) in 2019.
All chosen independent of Nicks.
Jones took years to come good in 2023 (under Nicks) only to fall away again this year. Hardly a success story.
Murphy IS a success story in his and Nicks' minds. He is one of the worst players to reach 100+ games for the AFC.
He's a tough little nugget, for sure, but another try-hard wannabe with little (occasionally) to no (often) game-day impact.
McAsey was a dud, full stop.
2) Did he have mental health issues? Do you have a link to support that please?
3) Cook, an "abject failure"? As bad as Murphy or McAsey? No. Have a look at his numbers 2021-2024, most relevantly 2024:
He averages about 10 disposals in 15 games/2024 and less than a goal/game. I rate him below Jones; hardly a success story.
Galucci, Jones, McHenry, Lever, Milera, Doedee, McAsey and Pedlar (at least their respective draft positions) should have all been playing on the weekend for us to be a finals side.
What?
Lever left at the end of the 2017 year.
Keep up.
Neil Craig has a better coaching record than Paul Roos and Adam Simpson, coaching records are a dumb stat sometimes.

Nicks has made heaps of mistakes, lots, like any player or coach. Can't deny that. But there is no way known that he deserve to get the sack with the 2nd youngest and 2nd most inexperienced side in the comp running around every week.

It just comes across as entitled, sulking supporters demanding success from a very young and inexperienced list.

Look at what Carlton, Gold Coast, Essendon and St Kilda have done to themselves over the last decade.

We sack Nicks we end up just like them.

The problem with this logic is that it means there is literally nothing that Nicks can do to be worthy of sacking.
This!
He's been here for five years. It is perfectly reasonable to look at our trajectory and see whether we think he's the man for the job. Are we happy with how players are developing under him? How the side is performing under him?
In order: NO.
Shithouse.
He didn't need to have the 2nd most inexperienced side, either. If he had invested in more of our youth earlier, we wouldn't be as inexperienced as we are. It's a bit rich to then say that makes him immune from criticism.
Sensible, undeniable logic; a post of beauty.

12 would be ok? You're too easily pleased.

Winning 15 would be good --- plus it'd mean that somehow, magically, Nicks got his act together (eg like Hardwick in 2016/17) and Coached the team into winners, not mediocre bottom-9 failures.
I'd LOVE that. Seriously.
I'd never be happier to be so wrong about Nicks (now). But that's my point.
I'm talking about the now-Nicks with the shit win-loss record, the Nicks with no gameplan/inexplicable selections/crappy use of sub/Murphy-loving favoritism/stubborn-mistake-repeating hopelessness.

You're saying you're right now, about the now-Nicks.
Yeeaaaah, but nah.

12 would be ok? You're too easily pleased.

Winning 15 would be good --- plus it'd mean that somehow, magically, Nicks got his act together (eg like Hardwick in 2016/17) and Coached the team into winners, not mediocre bottom-9 failures.
I'd LOVE that. Seriously.
I'd never be happier to be so wrong about Nicks (now). But that's my point.
I'm talking about the now-Nicks with the shit win-loss record, the Nicks with no gameplan/inexplicable selections/crappy use of sub/Murphy-loving favoritism/stubborn-mistake-repeating hopelessness.

You're saying you're right now, about the now-Nicks.
Yeeaaaah, but nah.
But Hardwick had already coached Richmond go multiple finals series by 2017. So Nicks is well behind.

Isn't this closer to the style we played last year?

I feel like we've been trying to get this midfield pressure and fast rebound game going all year, but we've struggled to get the pieces together.

That - and the potent forward line kicking winning score with fewer entries - was due to us struggling to have the depth to deliver on the plan.

Injured Tex and Filthy has a big impact. Starting the year with Soli, Schoenberg, Jones all carrying injuries meant the midfield depth was thin. Who we had to rotate through weren't able to do what the plan needed.

I think this is where they were wanting to be, and we've needed a few pieces to come together to do it.
%
I’d like to think you are right, however some days we just looked disinterested in a game plan altogether. Example - ‘free’ kick or kick in and players with back s to the ball ambling upfield not looking at kicker or showing any sign of wanting the ball or to make a play. Slow down football ?or no desire to want the delivery ? Or no faith. So often we telegraphed our movement with repetitive slow play that set us at 50% outcome where we didn’t have to

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R22: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Footscray

Remove this Banner Ad

Back