Review R24: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Nice to see Fog playing to his typical standard.

Emblematic of everything wrong with club last several years.

Fact they handed him captaincy is beyond comprehension

Until Nicks and rest are cleaned out…more of same in ‘25

He's out highest goalscorer this year with 41 goals - literally the least of our concerns.

He's out highest goalscorer this year with 41 goals - literally the least of our concerns.
Literally definition of garbage time

Thanks mate. I've had one before, should be okay. My biggest issue at the moment is that I'm feeling sick pretty much all the time anyway - hence why I'm going in for the colonoscopy!
Hope they get to the bottom of things…

Sorry, couldn’t help it. 😊 But seriously, hopefully it will give you answers and offer solutions.

Dawson is our Captain???

Fog has had a very good year so I’m not sure what your issue is. IMO Fog showed us enough this year that he is an almost like for like replacement of Tex and he’s only going to get better with more games.

Season 2024 Totals​
GMKHBDMGGABTHOFFFACLCGI50R50AFSC
Total231658525011141151635017234484911,3481,553

Good:
We don't have to continue this godawful season.
Turning it off 5 minutes into the 3rd when you could see they just weren't trying (who could blame them?) and I could do something else.

Both sides were going through the motions, the game only really picked up when the ball got into space and there was no risk of injury.

Taylor looked alright and Curtain did a few good things. Thilthorpe looked like was was trying and Crouch was okay. Thilthorpe seemed to ruck more than usual which I am not a fan of.

I've been a big critic of Keys over the years but he has been good this season and again he tried hard.

The coaches need to have a think about what they do with Dawson to get the best out of him. I think they have moved him around too much this season.

Laird was awful, not just what he did with the ball but his lack of efforts. There were more than just the one circulating on social media.

Scholl also had a shocker. Murphy was Murphy.

Sounds like the contract extension is done but the club need to have another sit down with Tex. Sure he kicked a few goals but the run from defence was killing us. Teams will just continue to exploit it. Playing tonight wasn't brave, it was selfish.

What a horrid year.

Dawson is our Captain???

Fog has had a very good year so I’m not sure what your issue is. IMO Fog showed us enough this year that he is an almost like for like replacement of Tex and he’s only going to get better with more games.

Season 2024 Totals​
GMKHBDMGGABTHOFFFACLCGI50R50AFSC
Total231658525011141151635017234484911,3481,553
Hes referring to the game where Fog captained and Dawson was out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kind of a weird game. On the stats sheet we got burned by uncontested possessions, essentially letting them run around like unregistered dogs. We didn’t look fit at all. We actually had more I50’s, but they had their HB’s and Mids cutting us up and taking pot shots from everywhere. Quality entries, not quantity. Look at where a lot of their goals have come from, a buzzard of mids basically.

Just so handball heavy, god knows why.
Their two top disposal getters Blakey and Roberts (why didn’t we draft him) running at 25K 7HB, and 23K 8HB’s respectively, and for us it’s Crouch and Laird, running at 9K 19HB’s each…

It’s insane how many times we were caught in congestion. Laird/Crouch/Berry/Soligo just couldn’t get any linkage, but it was amazing to watch like for the longer kick to create space between players. Top 4 Pressure Act stats went to Syd, and all of them their mids. Manic pressure, we don’t have it.

I’ve said it once, I’ll say it again, if we’re playing Fog/TT/Tex up forward, we’ll continue to get torched by Blakey types, and teams who know they’ll simply be able to walk it out of our backline. Tex looks proper cooked (5 pressure acts), and Fog had a shocker, recording the lowest PA’s on the ground (3). Allowing an opposition to literally walk it out of their D50 creates all sort of pressure up the ground. Tex plays minimal games for me next year. Missed Rankine and Rash in this game

Not that there werent other factors, but Gulden had 9 and 10 disposals in the first 2 quarters, then Bond went to him he had 3 and 2 in the second 2
Other factors like he spent extended periods of time on the bench resting up for finals. Do you know what finals are?

Nicks said Tex insisted on playing, WTF, tail wagging the dog! I was ok with Tex going on but last night I felt sad watching him struggle around the field, ineffective, gave away a frustrated 50m as well. Let's not make the Sloane mistake here, Tex is not part of our next finals push, sorry, time to cut and let the young KPFs take us forward.

Last edited:
Bond, TT, Soligo and Crouch were the only 'good' last night.

Curtin's goal all class. God I hope we don't screw him around over pre-season, get him settled into a role ASAP.

SACK. NICKS. NOW.

I live in Ade but am a blues supporter. Just wanted to offer my 2c from outsider’s perspective.

1) you have good kids. Taylor Dowling Curtin Worrell Soligo Nank Murray Thilthorpe Rash. That’s good core crop in a good age bracket.
2) you have a decent middle age core Fog Dawson Hinge Rankine.
3) sholl and Keys are better than I thought.
4) I know Ade supporters hate ROB but unless you have Gawn, De Koning Xerri or maybe Briggs every other team thinks their rucks suck.
5) reminder not many good coach’s putting their hand up for jobs currently. West Coast probably the best job to take given their resources and history yet no one wants it.

Not all doom and gloom. You have a good core group which all need to improve. Plus a top end pick. Maybe punch a couple best 22 players and all of a sudden things look alright. Improvement can come quick in young players as Hawks have shown us this yr.

Best of luck guys. Pray for me today. I may be an Adelaide supporter next yr if my blues don’t get me a win today.

Bad

I’m now actually looking forward to hearing the results of a fellow posters medical procedure (and hoping for them that the result is good news)…
More than I am looking forward to the 2025 AFL season..

Laird, nicks, ROB and Murphy will all still be there in 25 and prioritised by this s**tstain of a club.

Bad

I’m now actually looking forward to hearing the results of a fellow posters medical procedure (and hoping for them that the result is good news)…
More than I am looking forward to the 2025 AFL season..

Laird, nicks, ROB and Murphy will all still be there in 25 and prioritised by this s**tstain of a club.
Yeah, but Keays will still be there. ;)

I thought he'd played well for several weeks until last night.
Laird and Murphy are the two that stick out like the proverbials to me, regarding that.
Laird has become a possession-accumulating stats padder with no effect or positive outcome for those stats. Murphy was invisible most of the time with all of 2 possessions in the last.
On the day, I thought Keays was a better choice (I was surprised it wasn't the inspirational Nicks-fave, Murphy :rolleyesv1:).
This, depressingly!
Last night is what the Crows have become under Nicks, what we are now:
--- fumbly, hesitant, no composure, very little overlapping run, no defensive chase (hi, Laird), tackles easily broken or not attempted at all
--- no discernible game plan. Players look confused about where to go and what to do :poov1:.
--- Nicks must have got the message that he can make player switches, he is allowed to, but his changes were bewildering, eg Thilthorpe back, Borlase forward ...? Curtin on the bench for the first 10 minutes ... Wtf?
--- I lost track of how many of our kicks when under no pressure were ill-directed or straight to Sydney players o_O.

(you doin' well, mate? :thumbsu:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R24: The Good, Bad and Ugly vs. Sydney Swans

Remove this Banner Ad

Back