Review R6: Port v West Coast Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Random thoughts from the other side of the fence:
  • We really got to play you guys at the perfect time. In-form and 2 weeks without any enforced changes vs Port coming off a tough 5 weeks and maybe mentally easing up for a supposedly easier match. Also Wines and Polec absent evened the ledger in the area of the ground where on paper you had the biggest advantage.
  • It's telling that most of your best players were in defence - Carlile, Krakoeur, Hombsch, Trengove. It's very rare for us to dominate a good midfield so comprehensively.
  • Subbing off Young was baffling when Ebert and Schulz were clearly injured.
  • Port's pre-game stuff lives up to reputation. What's the song that they play before the players run out? Whatever it was I liked the idea of building up to the run-on rather than just playing the club song.
At the end of the day it boiled down to us being a bit better than everyone (including our fans) thought and your guys being off the boil a bit. And as you know if doesn't take much of a drop in effort in the AFL for the other side to take advantage. Port are still a top 4 side IMO.

Pretty much spot on with everything :thumbsu:

The song is Rudimental - Not Giving In

I'll give you a stronger hint.
Those who thought it was touched:
Goal Umpire
Jackson Trengove
The Video Review Umpire
Every Port supporter
The Officiating Umpire
Me

Those who don't think it was touched:
Crows Supporters
You
Everyone else who doesn't matter
The goal umpire said it was a goal so how can it be overturned if no conclusive evidence, come on fill your boots?

Some of the things I liked:
-Hartlett's sportsmanship
-Krak's composure and disposal.
-Our tall defence as a unit.
-Ah Chee setting the tone in the last quarter - great sign. He was not going to let west coast get clean clearences. Two hit outs as third man up too - don't remember anybody else doing that.
-The team lifting to Ah Chee's example. (AND THAT HAND BALL)

Things I did not like:
-The fact it took a 3rd game sub to set the tone and force the team to lift.
-West coasts luck with bounces, which they made by leading us to the ball.
-Lack of accountability. I think we were constantly trailing west coast because we were banking on us winning the contest. We often didn't and it hurt.
-Did broady and young play?
-Hoping (just a little) that someone else picks up a long term injury so we don't have to drop Krak.
-Losing.

FIFY

I love the Krak... has to be up there as to one of the best come backs from an AFL player career...

Sorry mate you got it wrong it was called a goal this is what im trying to say no conclusive evidence so it remains a goal right?
Mate it was clearly a point. Give it a rest. In fact it should've been a free for kicking in danger so you were actually given a point you shouldn't have got.

My dad is a Power Member and he sits near the opposition race, he was saying they had a protection around it that prevented anyone from sitting around the race from seeing the players get onto and come off the ground. Does anyone know why this is imposed? I presume its happening at all games now. I am not impressed because he was saying it interrupts the view of the ground and you cant see the warm ups etc.
Yeah they are just clear panels to protect the players and officials walking in and out.

His hand was touching the ball when it was soccered and the boot clearly struck the hand . That = free for kicking in danger. Proven. We were absolutely robbed as you would say that you were given the point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:$

Not enough is being said about this particular moment I feel. Start of the last quarter, game on the line. Hoff waltzes in for a little fairy bump and gets put on his arse. He was lucky Cripps only scored a point from there. Cripps had no fear, like the rest of his team. They came to our home ground and hunted us the whole game with no fear because we didn't stand up and make them afraid of us.

Our players need to channel more Vossy and make the enemy feel pain for every possession they get. We currently lack the hardened, brutal edge that great flag teams have - teams like Geelong + Hawks in particular. We're usually hard as anyone at the contest sure, but moments like these you need to go for the jugular and tear some throats out, and not accept anything less than being the alpha dog. See a challenger, snuff them out.

I hope this is what Vossy is here to help us do - unleash the beast inside.

Not enough is being said about this particular moment I feel. Start of the last quarter, game on the line. Hoff waltzes in for a little fairy bump and gets put on his arse. He was lucky Cripps only scored a point from there. Cripps had no fear, like the rest of his team. They came to our home ground and hunted us the whole game with no fear because we didn't stand up and make them afraid of us.

Our players need to channel more Vossy and make the enemy feel pain for every possession they get. We currently lack the hardened, brutal edge that great flag teams have - teams like Geelong + Hawks in particular. We're usually hard as anyone at the contest sure, but moments like these you need to go for the jugular and tear some throats out, and not accept anything less than being the alpha dog. See a challenger, snuff them out.

Port have that brutal edge just in different ways to the hawks, I think every team knows they are going to get a hard game against port, You guy's will be fine best getting the yips out early in the season,look at Sydney last year they hit form right at the right time i think the same will happen with port, All right I'll get off your board and go stir the Gold coast board ;)

Nah crows game won't need it , no one is worried about getting hit with a plastic cup of Chardonnay or cheese and quince platter .

That Quince paste can sting if you get it in your eye!

My heart literally broke at this moment - summed up the entire game. The complete opposite of what Port Adelaide is about, I would expect Ken to play this back to the entire group a number of times over and really get it into their heads.

Can Port's iffy form be traced back to Walsh leaving? Walsh was around when we went from wooden spoon to prelim final, playing a brand of football very closely resembling the minor premiers of that year, Collingwood, and I very much doubt that Woosha thought of it up by himself. When he left, we went to shit.

On topic though, I think we got you at a good time after the Showdown, where you are at your most vulnerable. 9 out of 10 times you would do us in, so no need for panic as of yet. A good run of games to come will hold you in good stead at the bye.
Walsh was NOT with us in 2013

Last year Freo wanted to teak their gameplan by a tad and they now seem to have it just right.
We are in the process of doing similar and hopefully it won't take us until next year, but it will not happen overnight.
Even though we had some injured players I was expecting Lobbe to be subbed but we went Young instead.
We somehow need to bring back some "speed" whilst playing an extra tall in Ryder, it won't be easy but when it works we'll look like millionaires just like in the first quarter V Hawthorn, however when it doesn't we'll look as if we are miles away.
Hopefully the consistency will happen sooner rather than later but IMO we have no other options if we want to be a serious contender for a number of years.
Why do we need to tinker with our gameplan when it was good enough to make the Premiers look second rate for over half of last years Prelim? why fix something that wasn't broke in he first place?

Yeah they are just clear panels to protect the players and officials walking in and out.
Was there an incident? Considering the amount of security they have around there I have yet to see anything wrong. I think its disappointing if they have done that. Massive over protection. What so people cant throw things from the boundary line???? AO have lost it.

Yes, yes & yes. That's vintage 2012 Westhoff straight from the top shelf. Wasn't at the game, but I would expect one of our leaders would have gone to Hoff in a break in play and given him the riot act. That was a deplorable effort, pretty much sums up his season so far.

Why do we need to tinker with our gameplan when it was good enough to make the Premiers look second rate for over half of last years Prelim? why fix something that wasn't broke in he first place?
How can we not if we want to play Ryder instead of a running midfielder.

If I kept a running ladder of teams in order of how much I liked them, this campaigner alone would've sent West Coast down at least three places today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review R6: Port v West Coast Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Back