Random thoughts not worthy of a thread (Part I)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Homeland was top quality once.

Now its just shit.
Last season was a return to form of sorts after a couple of average seasons. I didn't even realise it was back though, first episode no good I'm guessing?

thinking about taking the mrs away for the weekend. want to go hiking just wondering if anyone knows of any good bush tracks they can recommend?. also any nice accom? cheers

thinking about taking the mrs away for the weekend. want to go hiking just wondering if anyone knows of any good bush tracks they can recommend?. also any nice accom? cheers
This place is really good: http://www.thebuckland.com.au/

It's pretty much at the foot of Mt Buffalo, so plenty of good walking in the area.

Does anyone have any information on a rookie we had in the late 90's by the name of Nick Smith? cheers

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what is meta data?

Am i in trouble for posting ^.

Can they look at meta data and know that is what I typed...or that I am at this BF page?

Wat if i text IschenkoUBeauty and typed 'I luv IUB'? Wat would they know from that? My number and IUB's?

Wat if today i torrented the new Fargo Episode?

And wat would trigger them into calling my Isp?

Could my Isp leak my IUB post to the world?

So many unanswered questions.

So what is meta data?

Can they look at meta data and know that is what I typed...or that I am at this BF page?

Wat if i text IschenkoUBeauty and typed 'I luv IUB'? Wat would they know from that? My number and IUB's?

So do I go to jail for quote a passage of "The Man from Snowy River" because it has the word 'torrent' in it....??????

It's rather amusing watching the tiggers, blues and pies supporters squabbling in the Treloar trade thread - they're like seagulls chasing a chip.

Tiges need him for when Trent goes missing nek time we play them

So what is meta data?

Metadata is "data about data". Typically it's used to describe things like the contents of the ID3 tags in an MP3 (title, artist, etc) where the audio is the actual data, or the stuff in the headers of a web page that aren't part of what gets rendered.

HOWEVER, the use of the term in the data retention regime to downplay its significance is disingenuous at best. It's still data. Putting "meta" in front of it doesn't make it magically innocuous.

IN THEORY, data retention is supposed to force ISPs and carriers to keep the sorts of logs they would ordinarily keep for just a few days or weeks for purposes of monitoring and managing (and billing) their networks for two years. It's not supposed to be used speculatively and it's not supposed to be available to non-government entities. It's supposed to be accessible only via court order to support other evidence or suspicion.

IN PRACTICE it's a cluster****. There is a complete absence of effective controls on how agencies can handle and use data once they have it and how they are supposed to dispose of it when they're finished with it. It's gone in without effective support or guidance to the carriers and ISPs. There are data soveregnty issues (but see also how badly that is screwed over by the TPP). The list of agencies and organisations that can get it is not enshrined in legislation. Non-government bodies like copyright owners and nutbag social conservative groups are already lobbying for access.

Do they know you're on this page? Possibly, though for network management and billing purposes there's no reason why an ISP would care. They would know that you made a connection to this site at least.

If you text IUB that U luv him, they would know both numbers and the location (at least cell tower) of both devices. If you used your FruitPhone to send an iMessage or SnapChat or WhatsApp or Viber or Twitter DM or whatever they would only know that you made an encrypted connection to the iMessage or SnapChat or WhatsApp or Viber server. However if they were watching both of you they could probably infer that you were sending naughty snapchats to each other.

This is a reasonable starting point for what's in the data retention regime. http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...you-need-to-know/story-fn5j66db-1227567715454.

Nothing in Data Retention is SUPPOSED to be able to enable the lazy greedy lying arseholes at Village Roadshow to nab you for Fargo. They'll do that the way they always did: lurking on the torrents and whatever. There has also been a recent federal court decision that disallows "speculative invoicing" in Australia: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...-court-iinet-piracy-case-20150813-giyyd7.html, so they have to actually prove it to get anything out of you.

Haha it's not me btw, he's a teacher at my school!

We never had a rookie named Nick Smith. Your teacher is liar and a fraud. Alert your principal and have them verify his teaching credentials as well.

Metadata is "data about data". Typically it's used to describe things like the contents of the ID3 tags in an MP3 (title, artist, etc) where the audio is the actual data, or the stuff in the headers of a web page that aren't part of what gets rendered.

HOWEVER, the use of the term in the data retention regime to downplay its significance is disingenuous at best. It's still data. Putting "meta" in front of it doesn't make it magically innocuous.

IN THEORY, data retention is supposed to force ISPs and carriers to keep the sorts of logs they would ordinarily keep for just a few days or weeks for purposes of monitoring and managing (and billing) their networks for two years. It's not supposed to be used speculatively and it's not supposed to be available to non-government entities. It's supposed to be accessible only via court order to support other evidence or suspicion.

IN PRACTICE it's a cluster****. There is a complete absence of effective controls on how agencies can handle and use data once they have it and how they are supposed to dispose of it when they're finished with it. It's gone in without effective support or guidance to the carriers and ISPs. There are data soveregnty issues (but see also how badly that is screwed over by the TPP). The list of agencies and organisations that can get it is not enshrined in legislation. Non-government bodies like copyright owners and nutbag social conservative groups are already lobbying for access.

Do they know you're on this page? Possibly, though for network management and billing purposes there's no reason why an ISP would care. They would know that you made a connection to this site at least.

If you text IUB that U luv him, they would know both numbers and the location (at least cell tower) of both devices. If you used your FruitPhone to send an iMessage or SnapChat or WhatsApp or Viber or Twitter DM or whatever they would only know that you made an encrypted connection to the iMessage or SnapChat or WhatsApp or Viber server. However if they were watching both of you they could probably infer that you were sending naughty snapchats to each other.

This is a reasonable starting point for what's in the data retention regime. http://www.news.com.au/technology/o...you-need-to-know/story-fn5j66db-1227567715454.

Nothing in Data Retention is SUPPOSED to be able to enable the lazy greedy lying arseholes at Village Roadshow to nab you for Fargo. They'll do that the way they always did: lurking on the torrents and whatever. There has also been a recent federal court decision that disallows "speculative invoicing" in Australia: http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/...-court-iinet-piracy-case-20150813-giyyd7.html, so they have to actually prove it to get anything out of you.

Holy shit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back