Autopsy Rd 18 Blues storm home to beat Pies and honour Serge

Who played well for the Blues vs the Pies in Round 18?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That was one of the most embarrassing first halves of football I have ever seen....it was shitfull!
As they say in the classics 'one swallow doesn't make a Summer!'
Collingwood were below is on the ladder and thats for a good reason.
They stopped in the last half which was very decent of them.
I loved the win but it doesn't wipe out 20 years of mediocrity and pain.
Some of the boys were fantastic in the end of the third and in the last and that is most satisfying.
But where was this effort and improved skill level in the first half and a bit?
We know that injuries have been horrible yadda yadda yadda and that we all await a new dawn next season.
But we have been here before year after year.
To repeat....one quarter and a bit of football against a bottom team don't do it for me.
North ain't playing that bad and they get three players back next week.
I want to see 3 or 4 quarters next week like the last today.
Then the next week.
And the next week.
And the next week.
You know what comes next.
seriously, why bother? unbelievable.........who are these people?

Not sure if it’s been mentioned before, but is it just me or does Stocker remind anyone else of a certain set of twins who often played a very tough uncompromising brand of footy off half back.... same twins went on to coach Cats and Roos. Fair bit of the old Scott mongrel in Stock, the exciting part is that Liam is blessed with significantly better skills IMO.

It's a crime how Kennedy has been managed over the last 2 years. As for all this b*llshit of playing players out of position to make them more adaptable is a nonsense. If he has shown this off the back if a few games playing in position imagine where he would be had he been developed correctly and played in position. This goes for SPS, and numerous others. Sooner they clean out coach and assistants and really get the best out of this group I think we will be surprised how far they can go.

I think a lot of the 'playing players out of position' issue comes down to list, form and confidence.

Kennedy and Dow are getting full time midfield minutes because of the drop-off from Murphy and Curnow, and Setterfield's poor form, Williams going bakc, etc. They're now ready (well, Kennedy is. Dow is at least able to hold his spot). Go back to early 2019 and Bolton threw the same guys in the middle when they were two years younger, and we lost every game. When Teague came in he put the old guys back in and surprisingly we did better.

As much as anything we're seeing it now with Stocker. He's simply not ready for midfield minutes, and isn't better than the guys in there. So he's playing down back and holding his spot well. His time will probably come, although the way he is playing he might end up our Luke Hodge in the backline.

I want to see 3 or 4 quarters next week like the last today.
Then the next week.
And the next week.
And the next week.
You know what comes next.

Your post reads like a pr0n star disappointed at the climax.

Take the 4 points, know it took the good stuff to get it done, and move on to the next.

Season is alive. One game out. Five to go.

Says the guy who just about every week says that he's about done with the club after a slow start. Maybe if you didn't go early when we are behind, people would respect your opinions a bit more. But... fair play to you. You at least show up when we win... unlike a lot of lightweights who go early and hard and then disappear until the next week when it's all rinse and repeat.
Yep, since the review was called we have gone 3 from 4 , albeit against lesser opposition. We should have given ourselves a chance against the cats.

I really like the spirit of this team. We were up against it a few times today and it would have been easy to pull the pin.

I'm not saying that Teague is the man to take us forward, although I think that he'd do well with a strong support team. But what really, really annoys me are posters who disappear after a win, do the " we only played one good quarter" or even worse "well of course we should have beaten them". The pies were in pretty good knick after recently beating Richmond and Melbourne. We were behind the 8 ball and had a great win.

Acknowledge it for what it was, none of us on here will have the slightest influence in coaching appointments don't let your agendas dominate your love of our great club.

Doesn't get to down when he fu**s up
Doesn't go ballistic at team mates for ******* up
Would walk through fire for his team mates
These are all the traits of a great leader
It would be a smart move to make him our next captain in my eyes
He has certainly got the persona to carry that mantle
I agree. I'd go into battle behind stocker. Any day.

Nonno would be so proud 💙

E6jw_ojVEAEjpUC

#CarltonRoyalty 👑

Stoker will be banned for life for potential to cause serious injury
That wasn't an official thwacking sound on the AFL list.
So, thwacking with intent to make a loud sound....2 weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fully agree list management has bunged up in that department.

But I disagree that Casboult leads up well, in fact he is often caught getting in Harry's way and his ball use this year in particular has been dreadful. Not to mention he hasn't made an impact on the scoreboard for us as you'd expect from a player in that role.

If it was a couple of years ago as an extra tall target, sure. But he has run his race and unfortunately has been more of a liability than a contributor this year.
What I mean by leads up well is leads up the wing well. This year not so much because he's been inhibited by his bung knee. His inability to run and jump is a direct result of the knee issue. Hopefully after this break, his knee might have settled down... but then again, Charlie is about 2 weeks away from a return to the senior squad and with Jack starting to get the hang of being a backup ruckman at times... we might be all good.

What part of the win do you attribute to coaching?

And can you describe for me what our actual game style is?
I though moving Williamson up forward to noble was an excellent move. Seemed to shut down their easy exit from defence.

Good rotation of defenders in not allowing pies to isolate plowman on smalls in the square would indicate that he's learning from previous mistakes.

Good rotations through the centre square and good match ups. Used Fisher and Martin well in there. Dow seems to burn early then burn out so was used a bit more sparingly after a strong start and was able to contribute later.

Thought that he clearly out coached the other mob. That's all we can ask for.

More importantly, what is the Teague bed situation? Made/unmade?

An attribute of Sam Walsh that is excellent, and perhaps underrated, to me is his ability to get back in defense and fill the hole or at worst support the defensive pressure.

Unlike many other mids who get praised for kicking goals and getting forward, he gets back and stops goals.

He can also kick a goal fwiw...

Best 2 way mid in the game right now. Pips Touk only because Touk doesn't kick as many goals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Rd 18 Blues storm home to beat Pies and honour Serge

Back