Preview Rd 5 - Carlton v Fremantle 6:45PM Friday 27th April @ Subiaco - Team post #423

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rd 5 - Carlton vs. Fremantle, 6:45PM, Friday 27th April @ Subiaco

Curious how you come to the conclusion that the VFL was the "dominant State Competition" before the AFL.

Check the stats of total % of players drafted from Victoria....There's your answer.

Even over the last 5 years with so many full time recruiters in each state, there are still the majority of draftees from Victoria.

Like the changes. Great that Curnow is available. A little surprised Russell got the nod over Ellard, but he'll get his chance if anyone falters this week. I think we really had to drop Mclean and Bower. I really want Bower to make it, but right now Thornton offers more to the team - is more poised, better kick, better overhead, and can go forward if needed. Despite the large injury list, we're still fielding a pretty good team. That's because we have excellent list talent depth.

:)

Check the stats of total % of players drafted from Victoria....There's your answer.

Even over the last 5 years with so many full time recruiters in each state, there are still the majority of draftees from Victoria.
not the time or place to discuss WAFL v VFL
WAFL does produce some great players and has had very good teams but overall I think VFL games are a higher standard and certainly TAC is a great feeder (weird as you know how one eyed WA I am)

if you are talking kind of pre-1988 maybe but I think your thoughts are out of date

But you said prior to the AFL expansion I believe (wasn't that 1990 or there abouts). So the VFL was the dominant competition for a two year window? So my comments are out of date?

Population of Melbourne and the location of headquarters and a majority of the teams would obviously lead to those numbers.

Was just interested if your comment was on stats or just personal opinion based on upbringing. Got my answers cheers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry, I missed your comment about it being on the ABC in QLD. How silly of me.
I don't have a lot of time for smart asses with an inferiority complex. You're the one trying to diminish the VFL as though Freo's entry somehow saved us.

The VFL was on free to air commercial TV in Qld since the early 70s. It also earned coverage in other states albeit only edited highlights in SA and WA. The VFL was also showing in the USA on a weekly basis from the 70s on.

The quality of the competition became of a higher standard during the 70s as evidenced by the influx of SA and WA players. Seldom did you find Victorian stars chasing contracts interstate at their peak.

The VFL weren't merely lucky enough to be the first state comp to attempt to expand. They were the only ones with the product to be able to expand. Greater viewing audience, greater marketability, greater corporate support, more quality players, what other conclusion is there?

As for SOO, being in Qld, a league state, I understand that NSW have enjoyed a greater depth of quality players, and more quality teams. Yet Qld have been more dominant at SOO level. Qld's first 17 quality has often been better than NSW's first 17 quality. Start making a team with the second 17 and third 17 though, Qld are going to start running into problems. It's all about depth that sustains quality.

Now are you here to discuss aspects of the game or do you want to head back to your own board?

Love the history rewriting when we play these small outlier teams. For the record, the VFL renamed itself the AFL after it tacked on a few outliers who wanted in. The VFA was latter renamed the VFL. ANd yes, the VFL (former VFA) is MUCH higher standard than those other comps. This has especially been the case over the past few years. Right now there's no question Port Melbourne would beat several of the so-called "AFL" teams. Anyway, they should be grateful they're hosting a great club like Carlton. We'll draw the crowds, and boost their TV ratings enormously. Our club should be charging an appearance fee.

:)

Wow!

I only asked how you came to the conclusion of a somewhat bizarre statement. Finally you did that and as I expressed in my first post it was a real question. Was only interested in you thoughts but your first statement really does make you look very foolish. Calm down!

I was not trying to diminish the VFL (VFA - Was never aware of that as only Victorians watched it, apparently when on holidays in QLD) at all, in fact it may have been the other way around with regards to the WAFL and other leagues. VFL (VFA) had money and a good location geographically speaking but prior to the AFL, the WAFL and SANFL were both very very strong competitions.

BTW I never even mentioned Freo and you would not have known that unless it was in my profile so again another rubbish statement by you.

Anyway hope we have a cracking game tomorrow night but leave your gloves off until then.

Peace out!

Seriously! Would you have kept green red and purple in your jumper? We were just biding our time while we decided which jumper we liked most, then essentially copied it with enough changes to be accepted.

BTW: without franchise teams you would be watching Carlton play on the ABC if they selected your game for that week. If you went to the game they might have even let you cut up the oranges for half time.

What part of my post said you shouldn't be in the comp?:rolleyes:

Watching Carlton on ABC hey? and where would you be watching the dockers?:eek: :rolleyes:

You don't want red, you dont want purple green pink ......you dont like a big anchor on ya jumper etc FINE!! but at least model ya guernsey in a way that it doesn't clash with others (ditto port)....would've thought that was common sense. ;)

Wow!

I only asked how you came to the conclusion of a somewhat bizarre statement. Finally you did that and as I expressed in my first post it was a real question. Was only interested in you thoughts but your first statement really does make you look very foolish. Calm down!

No the first statement I replied to re ABC televised games and cutting the oranges at half time was foolish. I don't see anything I said after that not being factual.
I was not trying to diminish the VFL at all, in fact it may have been the other way around with regards to the WAFL and other leagues. VFL had money and a good location geographically speaking but prior to the AFL, the WAFL and SANFL were both very very strong competitions.

They were strong competitions but the VFL was much much stronger prior to expansion. You are in denial if you think otherwise. This is heading along the same lines of the AFL is a separate competition to VFL discussion that infects the main board at times. The VFL did not luck into expansion. They set themselves up as the premier competition prior to that.

BTW I never even mentioned Freo and you would not have known that unless it was in my profile so again another rubbish statement by you.

Would not have known what? That you support Freo? Stop being vague. Someone else mentioned Freo in terms of a franchise club and was told by a fellow Freo supporter were it not for those franchise clubs VFL clubs would be watching their games on the ABC if match of the round and cutting oranges at half time. That was a rubbish statement and I responded with some facts.

I watched Carlton on ABC once.......we won a premiership:D.

Edit: I Was actually at the game and my mum used the trusty VCR, it was still ABC though.

I watched Carlton on ABC once.......we won a premiership:D.

Edit: I Was actually at the game and my mum used the trusty VCR, it was still ABC though.

TV rights anomalies not withstanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back