Preview Rd 5 - Carlton v Fremantle 6:45PM Friday 27th April @ Subiaco - Team post #423

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Rd 5 - Carlton vs. Fremantle, 6:45PM, Friday 27th April @ Subiaco

I'd make Duigan the sub just quietly.

FB: Tuohy, Jamison, Thornton
HB: Joseph, Henderson, Russell/Duigan
C: Scotland, Murphy, Simpson
HF: Walker, Waite, Armfield
FF: Garlett, Hampson, Betts
Foll: Kreuzer, Judd, Gibbs

IC: Curnow, Robinson, Lucas

Serious question, why Duigs? I can't understand why the sub would be a fairly one-dimensional role player (completely not a knock on Duigs, he's in my best 22 every day of the week) as opposed to someone who can possibly fill multiple roles, JR/TBird for example.

I think it was the Lions match last year at Etihad, Emu was the sub and I just couldn't figure out what he was going to bring into the game that we might have been lacking. (Of course, this question presumes the sub isn't activated because of injury.)

No the first statement I replied to re ABC televised games and cutting the oranges at half time was foolish. I don't see anything I said after that not being factual.

Despite the old proverb "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" I am going to risk it.

See, what I normally do is when having a discussion with others on a forum is, I normally re read their comments to make sure I have not confused what they said with what others may have posted.

Amatuer mistake, really! Sometimes apologising is the right thing to do. I was wondering why so precious?

I never said the WAFL was stronger. Not once, maybe that was somebody else too.

EDITED - "Not for a second suggesting WAFL was the dominant league, but I think that is an outlandish statement and interested in your thoughts." - As it turns out I even stated such. Goose!

For those that are interested, the "ins" for Freo are Fyfe and Griffin, the "outs" Sandi and Suban. Keplar Bradly, Roberton and Spurr named Emergencies. I believe Spurr is recently promoted rookie. There has to be a question mark over Fyfe.

Oh and that spud ex pie Jack Anthony is playing his 50th. Had one good season. Done not much since. Even Bower had him covered, so bit stiff is Paully. Could have had a blinder.

Despite the old proverb "Never argue with a fool; onlookers may not be able to tell the difference" I am going to risk it.

See, what I normally do is when having a discussion with others on a forum is, I normally re read their comments to make sure I have not confused what they said with what others may have posted.

Amatuer mistake, really! Sometimes apologising is the right thing to do. I was wondering why so precious?

EDITED - "Not for a second suggesting WAFL was the dominant league, but I think that is an outlandish statement and interested in your thoughts." - As it turns out I even stated such. Goose!
my last point is Frodo won a Sandover thus VFL > daylight > WAFL

Agreed curnow out as to slow for wacca ellard in

I am very disappointed with the MC. I can't believe Ellard didn't get selected this week, after dominating in the VFL game last week with 38 disposals. He was a logical replacement for McLean who was found out last week with his lack of pace. I know it's a big step up fron VFL to AFL, but the big Subiaco ground would suit him, and he must be surely banging the door down at the moment to get a game?

Serious question, why Duigs? I can't understand why the sub would be a fairly one-dimensional role player (completely not a knock on Duigs, he's in my best 22 every day of the week) as opposed to someone who can possibly fill multiple roles, JR/TBird for example.

I think it was the Lions match last year at Etihad, Emu was the sub and I just couldn't figure out what he was going to bring into the game that we might have been lacking. (Of course, this question presumes the sub isn't activated because of injury.)

Agreed. Duigan is not as versatile coming off the bench and we need his toughness in defence for the opening testing out period. Although Russell needs a full game, but I am not sure who should make way.

Remember the year the blockhead kicked about 50 straight from everywhere. Now he's just a chin with a pair of eyes closing in on each other.

And a rapidly receding hairline. I watched him last week v Saints and he seemed clueless.

Agreed. Duigan is not as versatile coming off the bench and we need his toughness in defence for the opening testing out period. Although Russell needs a full game, but I am not sure who should make way.

Bang on.

A little out of left-field; what about Jeff? He's been relatively down, can certainly have an impact in a hurry...not super versatile though.

Glad the MC knocked me back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am very disappointed with the MC. I can't believe Ellard didn't get selected this week, after dominating in the VFL game last week with 38 disposals. He was a logical replacement for McLean who was found out last week with his lack of pace. I know it's a big step up fron VFL to AFL, but the big Subiaco ground would suit him, and he must be surely banging the door down at the moment to get a game?

You mean in the same way Knockers had 51 effective taps last week v Bendigo some kind of VFL record? Mclean had been killing it in the VFL the week before and couldnt hold his spot (bit stiff actually, I thought he was far from our worst and actually had a bit of a dip where others it seemed did not). Nevertheless, VFL form is fairly irrelevant. I would say the MC takes more notice of track work than VLF game time.

With Sandi out for Freo, it gives us a better than even chance for Kreuze and Hammo to get the ball down to our middies, and first use from the centre bounces. The midfielders have got to lift this week to get first use, as our backline looks a little unbalanced due to our injuries this week. It our midfielders can get on top and release the pressure on our bacline players, I hope to get over the line. If they don't, I expect a loss.
This will be a vital midfield contest IMO?

In fairness to the MC, Bendigo hardly had an Essendon listed player on the park so there wasn't much competition.

I do think that we could do with an extra midfielder though.

There was nothing outlandish about saying the VFL was the dominant state competition. It was. Not sure about your motivations of coming on to a team board and calling me out on something so blatantly obvious since the late 70s at least, especially when I was arguing a blatantly stupid post by a fellow Freo supporter. Your posts after that have been disingenuous.

As for arguing with fools, I'm not sure how smart it is to pursue an argument on another team's boards and resorting to name calling towards one of their moderators. If you were making those remarks to one of our posters, you would be out of here by now.

It was said last week that the MC havn't set a foot wrong so far this year, and they hadn't, until now IMHO.

With 3 injuries already equaling 3 automatic omissions, I don't see the necessity for making a further two changes. We could have kept Bower and McLean in this week and, should their poor form have continued this week, they could have made way for another two players against GWS - a game I think we are certainties to win. That gives us an extra week to settle a team with 5 changes.

Making 5 changes to a team who, bar last week, was in very good form, dangerously flirts with our form and can unsettle the team balance.

Not so confident in this game anymore.

I reckon SUB: Walker.

You mean in the same way Knockers had 51 effective taps last week v Bendigo some kind of VFL record? Mclean had been killing it in the VFL the week before and couldnt hold his spot (bit stiff actually, I thought he was far from our worst and actually had a bit of a dip where others it seemed did not). Nevertheless, VFL form is fairly irrelevant. I would say the MC takes more notice of track work than VLF game time.
so Ellard gets tick for VFL work and tick for track work, good record at Subi, adds the toughness we need....no brainer IMHO

I just realised you are a Moderator! What hope is there?

Your silence suggests the conversation is over and I can return to business as usual. It was fun and I now have a warm fuzzy feeling and feel a lot smarter.

Good luck tomorrow night and hopefully no injuries all round.

EDIT: I only just realised you were a moderator but only asked a question and I got called the smartass. I appreciate you letting me post on your board but I think if you follow the conversation you will see where it all turned and it was not something I did, but your lack of reading and keeping abreast of the situation.

I understand you probably put up with a lot of rubbish on here but I was not the poster for you to let your frustration out on. That was the other knuckle head freo supporter but do you take responsibility for all of the blues supporters.

Stronger - yes, Dominant - No (but that takes me back to my original question which was in what regard?) That is all I asked, as nice as I could in fact.

Whilst the midfield battle will be important, I think our FWD line/their DEF will be where the game is won or lost.

In terms of match ups,

McPharlin - Waite (even contest there)
Broughton - Betts (could be another even contest)
Dawson - Hampson (this looks like a massive win for us, if Kosi could dominate Dawson last week, Hampson should kick 6 by that logic :p )
McPhee - Walker (Walker will probably start slow, but could kick away near the end)

Basically that leaves Ibbotson/Mzungu/Johnson/Duffield to take Garlett/Robinson. TBH I think we have a massive advantage here. If would somehow isolate Waite at FF on Dawson for a bit of the game, Waite could kick a bag of goals. I expect McPharlin to follow him around all night though, so its Hammer Time baby :thumbsu:

In a way, our side looks more balanced than last week with these changes. Last week Mclean and Bower put in bad ones, and Walker is a much better medium forward option than Lucas at this stage. Thornton's inclusion adds some stability/versatility. And Armfield and AJ at some serious pace. Big ground suits us as well. Feeling confident about this one.

:)

Are we wearing the clash strip?:rolleyes:

******* franchise clubs, didnt they have green purple and red in their jumper once upon a time? now they can change/drop 3 colors, and compleyely alter their guernsey to a point where it clashes with a team that has had the same jumper since day dot.....and we have to change?....**** this comp is a joke at times.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:
Nice one coming from the team that invented the "sell out to highest bidder" alternative strip idea. Only happy to wear the baby blue if the candy man pays enough???

Think they only had that one year in 87.

Correct, Channel 7 had a barney with the then head of the VFL (cant remember the name, surely was before Oakley??) it defaulted to the ABC and a very dark haired Tim Lane and one year traitor to 7 the great Drew Morphett. Things were eventually sorted and it reverted back in 88.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back