AFL Toast RND 17: Win Against The Cold Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we are a top 4 side.. the lopside fixture reveals itself in our sport like no other. Having said that.. we have found a way to win and I do think the wins against the Dogs, GWS and Pies demonstrate we are in the 'mix' in that chasing pack. Equalisation certainly appears to be worked with 14 teams still in the running and 16 teams in a league of 18 are now competitive.

Shiel should have come in to replace Parish earlier.. they are like for like (hence why they should never play in the same team) and the move of Jones up to the wing is brilliant. Still believe that Draper needs to offer more but Friday was one of his best games in his career. Wright and Langford still missing some touch.. if those two can get hot at the point end then we could win a final this year.

The real excitement comes from our engine room.. Caldwell, Merrett, Durham is a lethal combo. Any team that has 3 elite midfielders is always a threat. We now have 3 truly elite midfielders. If they get support then it will be exciting.

The backline is solid with Riddles and McKay showing why we needed that big key back. McKay has been a huge huge upgrade on BZT even if he is good for at least one turnover goal a game. Redman looked better with Heppell out of the team and I wouldn't be rushing heppell back.

The glaring weakness remains the small forward position.. until we solve that then I am not sure we can make the leap into the elite team group. With that all said.. it has been a solid year of growth and I am hopeful we can actually arrest the second half slide and finish the season on a high note. I think we beat Melbourne, Adelaide and Saints and feel confident about Gold Coast. I think we lose against Freo, Sydney and Brisbane. That would give us 14.5 wins for the season and irrespective of finishing position.. that is a great result.

I don't think we are a top 4 side.. the lopside fixture reveals itself in our sport like no other. Having said that.. we have found a way to win and I do think the wins against the Dogs, GWS and Pies demonstrate we are in the 'mix' in that chasing pack. Equalisation certainly appears to be worked with 14 teams still in the running and 16 teams in a league of 18 are now competitive.

Shiel should have come in to replace Parish earlier.. they are like for like (hence why they should never play in the same team) and the move of Jones up to the wing is brilliant. Still believe that Draper needs to offer more but Friday was one of his best games in his career. Wright and Langford still missing some touch.. if those two can get hot at the point end then we could win a final this year.

The real excitement comes from our engine room.. Caldwell, Merrett, Durham is a lethal combo. Any team that has 3 elite midfielders is always a threat. We now have 3 truly elite midfielders. If they get support then it will be exciting.

The backline is solid with Riddles and McKay showing why we needed that big key back. McKay has been a huge huge upgrade on BZT even if he is good for at least one turnover goal a game. Redman looked better with Heppell out of the team and I wouldn't be rushing heppell back.

The glaring weakness remains the small forward position.. until we solve that then I am not sure we can make the leap into the elite team group. With that all said.. it has been a solid year of growth and I am hopeful we can actually arrest the second half slide and finish the season on a high note. I think we beat Melbourne, Adelaide and Saints and feel confident about Gold Coast. I think we lose against Freo, Sydney and Brisbane. That would give us 14.5 wins for the season and irrespective of finishing position.. that is a great result.
They would be dying for ADJ to catch fire in the 2s

Agree generally on the wins but I think Melb is a biggest danger than GCS.

If we can’t beat GCS at Marvel we have a problem. They will have been to Perth the week before.

Hopefully around that time Hardwick is complaining a lot about travel. And Marvel.

Really enjoyed watching this game as a neutral.

Never really rated Merrett that highly but blimey he was sensational.

Lots to like about the Dons this year. Playing fast, hard footy. Hunting the ball and the man. Great pressure. Reminds me of when Richmond was good.

Can see them winning the flag this year and TBH there's a lot of teams I would prefer didn't win it.

Seem to have the bookends sorted with quality players at both ends, very solid midfield as well. Durham as an MSD looks like one of the better picks since it's inception.

Other team I'm enjoying watching is the Blues. Would be happy for a Dons vs Blues GF.

That would put us on 60 points and probably finishing in the top 4. Would we be a top four side then?

I get the feeling if we put Shiel in after Parish went out he would have played crap with a lot of peeps calling for his head. I am totally comfortable the fact they brought him in last Friday. The way he played the week before in the VFL demanded selection. He didn’t show anything near that in previous weeks. It also gives him a better platform going forward to maintain it.

Edit: I’m glad they kept him away from the sub role as well.

I get the feeling if we put Shiel in after Parish went out he would have played crap with a lot of peeps calling for his head. I am totally comfortable the fact they brought him in last Friday. The way he played the week before in the VFL demanded selection. He didn’t show anything near that in previous weeks. It also gives him a better platform going forward to maintain it.

Edit: I’m glad they kept him away from the sub role as well.
Yep another good decision. Pretty hard to fault most this year. Obviously the cats selections could have gone better.

Yep another good decision. Pretty hard to fault most this year. Obviously the cats selections could have gone better.
I would have liked to see how Caddy went in the cats game. I’m curious to see how they go with the selection of the talls going forward. My preference is Caddy and Wright up forward keep Harry on the wing and one ruck. If Gawn isn’t playing I would prefer the Ruck this week to be Draper.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we all take a moment to have chuckle at Darcy Moore not manning the mark for Langfords goal in the second quarter

Re watching it as a sad tragic I am and our composure under pressure was brilliant whilst our skills were very polished when the Pies were going strong in that first half

Can we all take a moment to have chuckle at Darcy Moore not manning the mark for Langfords goal in the second quarter

Re watching it as a sad tragic I am and our composure under pressure was brilliant whilst our skills were very polished when the Pies were going strong in that first half

To be fair the umpire told him to move outside 5 or it would be 50 metres. I think becuase he came in from the side to stand the mark. BT was too busy wanking himself off to pay attention and thought they'd just gone to sleep but you can clearly hear the umpire in the effects mike.

Still funny though.

To be fair the umpire told him to move outside 5 or it would be 50 metres. I think becuase he came in from the side to stand the mark. BT was too busy wanking himself off to pay attention and thought they'd just gone to sleep but you can clearly hear the umpire in the effects mike.

Still funny though.
If the umpire is resetting the mark isn’t the player with the ball unable to play on until the umpire calls time on?

If the umpire is resetting the mark isn’t the player with the ball unable to play on until the umpire calls time on?

I don't think he called time on though, just told moore to gtfo of the protected area.

Still funny though.
Wasn't it something like he was covering off the run around while there was no one on the mark?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back