Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Fremantle & Changes for R9 vs Bulldogs

Best 5 vs Freo?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A lot was missing this game, but you need your senior players to set good examples. It's obviously never been his forte, but Martin's lack of defensive accountability was ****ing woeful today.

Watching him at the G not even want to take 2 steps and put an arm up to create a contest was insipid. Not good enough from a leader.

Looks and feels like we are a basket case again .

Cool ya jets buddy; not to roll out injuries as an excuse for everything but they’ve forced our hand to play 6-7 players who just aren’t up to the standard. At least we can say it for sure now. Let’s see how we’re going towards the ass end of the season before we start claiming basket case.

I don’t think it is a development issue. We have had a few poor drafts since 2010 and we have had poor selections in the draft.

It is really hard to recruit and develop midfielders without top 10 picks. Our oppositions starting midfield today was former picks 2, 7 & 9, and last week was picks 2, 4 & a F/S matched pick 7.
Another hot take, but I honestly believe that too much weight is put on draft position. You should be able to find good players outside of the top 10. Especially small forwards, KPDs, ruckman, or midfielders. You might not find those once-in-a-generation midfielders like JHF, Chris Judd, and Harley Reid, but you'll easily get good midfielders if your team is good at developing them.

Jack Steele was pick 24, Zak Butters was pick 12, Max Holmes was pick 20, Taylor Adams was pick 13, Luke Parker was pick 40. Josh Dunkley is a bad example as he was a F/S that was bid on, but a pick in the 20s is about where he was rated if I remember correctly. Otherwise, he would've been bid on earlier. Even Peatling turned out a decent midfielder for GWS, and he was just a young mid-season recruit.

So it's definitely something that happens. We just didn't select many midfielders over the years, and when we did, we didn't really develop them well IMO. That's why we needed Taranto, Prestia, and Hopper to begin with. We can say that players like RCD and Dow etc. were always not good enough and that it's always on the individual, but a player going bust isn't always because they don't have the talent to make it. Sometimes the club just isn't good at developing or supporting players in that position.

Collingwood suck at developing KPFs while Jake Waterman is currently acting like Wayne Carey in West Coast's forward line. Bulldogs are terrible at developing KPDs while Fremantle breeds them like cattle. 2011 is probably the last time Carlton developed effective small forwards, while it's very easy for us to pick them in the draft and develop them into good players. Our one big problem over the years is developing good midfielders, and I'd like to see that change. I want Sonsie, McAuliffe, and Dow to become good pure midfielders, but I don't think our environment at the moment will foster that unfortunately. We're already seeing Sonsie being played out of position, so it makes me feel a bit nervous about it

Cool ya jets buddy; not to roll out injuries as an excuse for everything but they’ve forced our hand to play 6-7 players who just aren’t up to the standard. At least we can say it for sure now. Let’s see how we’re going towards the ass end of the season before we start claiming basket case.
Worst thing we could do is come home strong and win a handful of meaningless games and cost ourselves a top 3 pick.

This goes against what I said earlier but maybe instead of dropping Campbell we make him the sub?
I feel like he'd be a good impact sub.

Coulthard deserves an opportunity on the wing though.

Gee, well if YOU haven’t met a Freo supporter, maybe you should stop living in your mums shed and get out a bit more.

I had come here to say I thought the umps made a series of bad decisions which benefited Freo. Very rare that I’d agree with oppo supporters feeling ripped off, but some of the umps should be dropped, or put in a store room or wherever they go when they aren’t on the end of a whistle.
I do like Freo… the town i mean. Ripping place to spend a weekend.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To Some of the knobjockeys that asked why we recruited TT and hopper , this is why , you got no hope with a bunch of kids taking on any midfieid , you give your forwards no hope with 50% less entries and you give your defenders no hope with silver service into d50
Get a fit TT and hopper back into the side and it assists no end develop our next gen midfield,,,oh and most aren’t there yet
That's rubbish Bo as they were traded in bc a few knobjockeys thought we were ready to compete for more premierships. One of these Knobjockeys even said it was the best list he ever had and then took off five weeks into the season. You don't give away 4 early picks if your list isn't ready to compete and a few on here could see our era was over and we needed to hit the draft for the next 4-5 seasons. We've lost 4 picks bc of these guys , cap space and they're going to be seven years of waste bc our list won't be ready in their time. Our FD is a mess and totally incompetent.

Last edited:
RFC website lists the following as best players in yesterday’s VFL win….

Best: Street, McAuliffe, Smith, El Nour, Brindley, Garner, Wilson

So Kano and Smith are the only 2 seniors that got a shout out

No love for Coulthard, Noah, Trigger, Ryan

Green, Kosi we’re just ok

We recruit em, play all last year, and shoved Prestia up fwd, for 13th.

TT is as bad as JH this year, injury wise.

Lynch non appearance is an even bigger
Last year doesn’t represent what I’m talking about , we need to promote 5-6 younger players into the midfieid , with TT and hopper fit and playing reg

RFC website lists the following as best players in yesterday’s VFL win….

Best: Street, McAuliffe, Smith, El Nour, Brindley, Garner, Wilson

So Kano and Smith are the only 2 seniors that got a shout out

No love for Coulthard, Noah, Trigger, Ryan

Green, Kosi we’re just ok

Cumbo kicked 1-6. Which is enough opportunity creation to see him get a run in my opinion. Another day and it’s 6-1.

Looks and feels like we are a basket case again .
Not a basket case, but it's not too dissimilar to 2010 which was Hardwicks first year. He inherited a list that needed to be rebuilt and it took time for him to get the list the way that he wanted it to be so that we could first make finals and then eventually start winning them.

Yze is in the same boat, the list needs an overhaul, and it's not something that is going to happen over 1 summer. It's very difficult for Yze to implement his game plan and get consistency of performance when most of his first choice midfield and starting KPF are sitting in the stands watching.

It's still another 6-8 weeks before we're going to be able to get our best side on the park, so it's not something that is going to change quickly and there could very well be more games like today over that period as the kids try and hold the fort until reinforcements arrive.

That's rubbish Bo as they were traded in bc a few knobjockeys thought we were ready to compete for more premierships. One of these Knobjockeys even said it was the best list he ever had and then took off five weeks into the season. You don't give away 4 early picks if your list isn't ready to compete and a few on here could see our era was over and we needed to hit the draft for the next 4-5 seasons. We've lost 4 picks bc of these guys , cap space and they're going to be seven years of waste bc our list won't be ready in their time. Our FD is mess and totally incompetent.
Not sure I buy that was only motivation as they have much years service in front and can play a valuable role . That explaination would only suit if they came in as 28yo ,with 2-3y left in the tank

Not sure I buy that was only motivation as they have much years service in front and can play a valuable role . That explaination would only suit if they came in as 28yo ,with 2-3y left in the tank
Do you believe we will be up and running before their 5 years up? You're dreaming if you do Bo
We would've wasted 7 years by then if we don't rise fast enough.

Not a basket case, but it's not too dissimilar to 2010 which was Hardwicks first year. He inherited a list that needed to be rebuilt and it took time for him to get the list the way that he wanted it to be so that we could first make finals and then eventually start winning them.

Yze is in the same boat, the list needs an overhaul, and it's not something that is going to happen over 1 summer. It's very difficult for Yze to implement his game plan and get consistency of performance when most of his first choice midfield and starting KPF are sitting in the stands watching.

It's still another 6-8 weeks before we're going to be able to get our best side on the park, so it's not something that is going to change quickly and there could very well be more games like today over that period as the kids try and hold the fort until reinforcements arrive.
Its completely different. We had already drafted
Cotchin
Martin
Riewoldt
Rance
Edwards

The future A graders that would deliver a dynasty. Atm we have nothing. Mind boggling nobody can see this

Its completely different. We had already drafted
Cotchin
Martin
Riewoldt
Rance
Edwards

The future A graders that would deliver a dynasty. Atm we have nothing. Mind boggling nobody can see this
That's why we needed to go to the draft instead of getting TT and JH.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Roast & Toast vs Fremantle & Changes for R9 vs Bulldogs

Back