• 37: Connor Menadue

• 38: Noah Balta

• 42: Ryan Garthwaite

• 44: Sydney Stack

• 47: Ivan Soldo

• 48: Liam Baker

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

One could argue its a shame Daniher isnt playing..

nah daniher is the kinda player that rapes us every single time, 30 marks and 10 goals etc

devon smith is out as well? that is very very good for us. we can compete around the ground even with a dud ruckman now

nah daniher is the kinda player that rapes us every single time, 30 marks and 10 goals etc

devon smith is out as well? that is very very good for us. we can compete around the ground even with a dud ruckman now
Secretly agree...
But what a contest it would be between two fully fit sides though! Lunch V Daniher...shoot out!

Hard one with the lineups, Rioli doesn't deserve to play and wouldn't be in the conversation if not for Dreamtime. I don't mind his inclusion because it means a lot though and I think if he plays he steps up. Having said that none of the like for likes deserve to be dropped. Nervous to just ruck with Balta and pluck someone from somewhere else to back him up. That person is inevitably coming from the back line and when we played small against the Dogs we got smashed. They may have come down to complacency after the Port win with a young list but still doesn't fill me with confidence.

I didn't watch the 2's but heard and read Chol competed and was decent. Obviously he is not near a game if Nank and Soldo are in the mix but we need to maintain balance. If no Daniher allows a defender to be free and they don't have other dangerous tall forwards than perhaps we can work with Soldo out Rioli in.

That's a good point.
Tipung's build is that small nuggety type.
Grimes and Astbury are not suitable.
Stack is probably a better match up.
Don't underestimate the best defender in the game. He's played on and annihilated some of the AFL's best small forwards. Remember Betts in the GF? They can't beat him for pace because he's as quick and agile as they are.

Don't underestimate the best defender in the game. He's played on and annihilated some of the AFL's best small forwards. Remember Betts in the GF? They can't beat him for pace because he's as quick and agile as they are.
I don't...but i just prefer Grimes concentrating in the back-line adding cohesiveness to our defensive unit...
It's another matter entirely if Tippa starts going ballastic...think Grimes would just cover tippa for pace and in the air.
Tippa is an akward physical type for Grimes...and prolly most defenders...
Tippa is a fast barrel on legs, can see Grimes having his hands full there if Tippa has a day out! Tippa's size breaks tackles especially when he's confident!
I would'nt bother i would keep Grimes in the back half and hope our mids starve him of the ball...then either play either Broad, Stack or Kmac on him...

Hard one with the lineups, Rioli doesn't deserve to play and wouldn't be in the conversation if not for Dreamtime. I don't mind his inclusion because it means a lot though and I think if he plays he steps up. Having said that none of the like for likes deserve to be dropped. Nervous to just ruck with Balta and pluck someone from somewhere else to back him up. That person is inevitably coming from the back line and when we played small against the Dogs we got smashed. They may have come down to complacency after the Port win with a young list but still doesn't fill me with confidence.

I didn't watch the 2's but heard and read Chol competed and was decent. Obviously he is not near a game if Nank and Soldo are in the mix but we need to maintain balance. If no Daniher allows a defender to be free and they don't have other dangerous tall forwards than perhaps we can work with Soldo out Rioli in.

I vehemently disagree with this statement. On overall performance, and established capacity, Rioli is clearly the best of our small forwards. I think the club managed his soreness perfectly by making him prove he is not still tentative(as he understandably was second half v Mutts.). But he is simply too good to be left languishing in the reserves. He is the most complete player of all the small forward options, strong on the ground and relatively strong in the air, courageous, fast, excellent defensively and very highly skilled, team first mentality, proven big game player and took his selection in the reserves manfully. His form may not have been scintillating early season but he would have to be a lot further out of form than that not to be an automatic selection when right unless I am missing something.

be another interesting selection. do we bring in Rioli for soldo and have balta and a make shift 2nd ruck, hoping to get away with it for a week. or make 2 changes and bring in ccj or chol. only watched it on tv, but both didn't really put their hand up to be playing. at least the druggies have Daniher, smith and fantasia out.

I don't...but i just prefer Grimes concentrating in the back-line adding cohesiveness to our defensive unit...
It's another matter entirely if Tippa starts going ballastic...think Grimes would just cover tippa for pace and in the air.
Tippa is an akward physical type for Grimes...and prolly most defenders...
Tippa is a fast barrel on legs, can see Grimes having his hands full there if Tippa has a day out! Tippa's size breaks tackles especially when he's confident!
I would'nt bother i would keep Grimes in the back half and hope our mids starve him of the ball...then either play either Broad, Stack or Kmac on him...
I'm not really worried about him at all. Grimes would be far too big for him, not to mention too skillful, too tough and just as fast. Having said that, he could just as easily go to Stringer. Tippanyrunwoodie is not an A grade forward. Stack could handle him easily I reckon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tippa is a bit of a front runner, have thought that for a long time. Hasn't scored a goal or a point in any loses this season. Of course now that I have written that he'll probably play well. Point is he plays well when they do. So the centre battle will be crucial. Soldo is a massive out, so that is where the game will be won. Very interesting selection tonight. I'm tipping Broad will ruck as Rioli will come in. Otherwise one of Bolton, Baker, Menadue, Castagna, Higgins will have to make way, all would be very stiff.

Interesting situation with Butler. Was clearly better than Rioli last week, but given Rioli's elevation it seems to confine Butler to the VFL for a little while longer. Initially I thought he should come in before Rioli due to form, but obviously they want him to change the roll he plays from an outside run and go type to a more inside player. I have been a long time critic of this part of his game, and I was really pleased with his 10 contested possessions out of 16 (from memory). Butler would be an awesome wingman if he won his own ball. Needs to get stronger, tougher and back it up repeatedly.

Rioli is far more consistent than Castagna/Butler/Bolton. If he's fit, he plays.
He's only had one decent game this year, not in great senior form at all, whereas Buttler has been in great VFL form especialy last week where he was BOG for our listed players.
#dreamtimegate.

Tipung is not greatest player on earth but he scores the goals when they have the open space forward line.
Have to clutter the defence, which Freo failed to do, he was allowed to run past.
Hep, Merrett and Shiel are their three best midfielders on form.
It's a shame we don't have Nank to lay the crunching tackles like he did on Zaha.

He's only had one decent game this year, not in great senior form at all, whereas Buttler has been in great VFL form especialy last week where he was BOG for our listed players.
#dreamtimegate.

Rioli got smashed v GWS in round 3 and wasnt right after. Was playing because of injuries. Went out, had a rest and come back through VFL in good shape.

Cannot for the life of me understand why anyone doesnt want Rioli in. He is our best defensive forward by far. He has proved that for years.

Haven’t heard his name come up , doesn’t appear as popular trading ground these days , more likely to come from asst at high performing clubs
Rivals will come after our asst though hope we have them locked away
I'd be suprised his name has'nt come up...how hard would it be to beat Bolton, LOL@NORFFSCOTT, Richardson...

I vehemently disagree with this statement. On overall performance, and established capacity, Rioli is clearly the best of our small forwards. I think the club managed his soreness perfectly by making him prove he is not still tentative(as he understandably was second half v Mutts.). But he is simply too good to be left languishing in the reserves. He is the most complete player of all the small forward options, strong on the ground and relatively strong in the air, courageous, fast, excellent defensively and very highly skilled, team first mentality, proven big game player and took his selection in the reserves manfully. His form may not have been scintillating early season but he would have to be a lot further out of form than that not to be an automatic selection when right unless I am missing something.

I agree with everything you have said about him. Despite this, he had been out of touch and struggling to impact games prior to missing. Soreness no doubt a factor but that does not mean it wouldn't be beneficial and deserved to play at least one more game in the VFL. I hope and expect him to come in and play well this Saturday night. I don't take back that if it wasn't for the Dreamtime round we may prefer to give him another run in the 2's.

Just wanting to make that people here are aware that Rioli was not dropped but was rested due to being smashed 2 weeks running and given a week off in round 8 and was only playing VFL due to the great win against Freo that the match commitee like us didnt believe any player deserved to be dropped

People here are making out like he is a passenger the kid had 18 with 7 tackles and 2nd best on in a game where he was probably still slightly sore and played limited minutes.

Rioli automatic in and anybody who thinks otherwise has been sniffing something interesting
Here here. Butler can wait... maybe he won't be so complacent next time

Rioli got smashed v GWS in round 3 and wasnt right after. Was playing because of injuries. Went out, had a rest and come back through VFL in good shape.

Cannot for the life of me understand why anyone doesnt want Rioli in. He is our best defensive forward by far. He has proved that for years.
Rioli is a jet, pure and simple, the only thing holding him back of late is the smashing he got in the early games...small body needs a good rest...big bowl of turtle soup! Fully fit he's a beauty!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Roast & toast vs Hawthorn & changes for Essendon

Back