Toast Round 1 = Geelong 103-125 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yes, on the injury front, our team had almost a third either injured or hobbling on one leg.
RemarkableUnrealisticJenny-max-1mb.gif

Yes my post was tongue in cheek, because when I say that Cats fans back on your board were claiming everything went wrong, not one of them appeared to mention 16.1, the nonsensically favourable umpiring you received, or Howe’s injury. So thankyou for clarifying that point.

In reality, only one thing went wrong for you and that is a nasty run of injuries. Tom Stewart is possibly your most important player, and certainly more crucial to your fortunes than Howe is to ours. SDK also missed a quarter or so and wasn’t fully fit when back on. Stengle came off running flat footed there for a bit. Hawkins I didn’t notice so much, he was certainly fit enough to shove Howe in the back as he likes to do and get away with it resulting in another dubious goal, so he can go and eat a giant bag of dicks.

That spate of injuries does give me pause, and definitely had an impact on the outcome. But when I see your fans whinging that “nothing went your way”, well I can’t help but think that denial ain’t just a river in Egypt, because you were lucky to get within 8 goals of us last night on balance. Howe’s long-term injury did offset some of your bad injury luck, you’ll never kick straighter than that in your life, you were out-and-out gifted several goals by the umpires (and Noble in the first 90 seconds of the game) and you still got beaten.

I don’t expect you to be fair and balanced on your own board, but if you’re going to call me out on mine, at least have the decency to be honest about the tone of the conversation you’re misrepresenting.
Ridiculous how old mate duped so many people in here with his phony gracious in defeat attitude.

Like I said (as you also did), I read through about half their post-game thread and it was all "nothing went right for us tonight" "injuries did us in". Old mate claps back about me being emotional and illogical 🙄

What a cracking game of footy! Loved that second half, we wrestled it back on our terms and saw it through going away. Bring on the Pear!

Fingers crossed for Howey and his recovery

Just watching the replay as I was there last night and was quite pissed after sinking one too many beers at Range in Abbotsford beforehand...

And gee we just should not have gotten 21 points down in the first quarter after being all over them. 2 or 3 times already we've gone one handball too many which the commentators quite rightly pointed out.

Think we've got a lot of improvement in us between now and (hopefully) finals.

Needed to lower the eyes a bit earlier on too. Bombing long cost us.

Yes my post was tongue in cheek, because when I say that Cats fans back on your board were claiming everything went wrong, not one of them appeared to mention 16.1, the nonsensically favourable umpiring you received, or Howe’s injury. So thankyou for clarifying that point.

In reality, only one thing went wrong for you and that is a nasty run of injuries. Tom Stewart is possibly your most important player, and certainly more crucial to your fortunes than Howe is to ours. SDK also missed a quarter or so and wasn’t fully fit when back on. Stengle came off running flat footed there for a bit. Hawkins I didn’t notice so much, he was certainly fit enough to shove Howe in the back as he likes to do and get away with it resulting in another dubious goal, so he can go and eat a giant bag of dicks.

That spate of injuries does give me pause, and definitely had an impact on the outcome. But when I see your fans whinging that “nothing went your way”, well I can’t help but think that denial ain’t just a river in Egypt, because you were lucky to get within 8 goals of us last night on balance. Howe’s long-term injury did offset some of your bad injury luck, you’ll never kick straighter than that in your life, you were out-and-out gifted several goals by the umpires (and Noble in the first 90 seconds of the game) and you still got beaten.

I don’t expect you to be fair and balanced on your own board, but if you’re going to call me out on mine, at least have the decency to be honest about the tone of the conversation you’re misrepresenting.
/dropsmic

How would you feel if the game ended at three quarter time and we had lost? How would the game have turned out if they had 3 fit players on the bench rather than 1.

We were messy and inefficient for the first three quarters. Gave away the easiest goals way too often. The boys stuck at it, never gave up and I feel we were pulled over the line due to Geelong fatigue and some individual brilliance. Our structure and execution was off. But like I said somewhat normal for round 1, and we celebrate the win.

The club will be looking at it more from the perspective of what they need to improve is what I was getting at.
It was an amazing win in the end, but that first half was unbelievably frustrating to watch.

WHE and Sidebottom were atrocious in the first half. Easily IQ's worst game. Maynard was pretty poor. Noble was back to his panic merchant ways. Elliot and Cameron missed absolute sitters. Our defence pushes so far up that the ball repeatedly spilled out the back resulting in them waltzing in for an easy goal.

The effort was certainly there from the beginning though. Bobby Hill really turned the tide late in the 3rd qtr and then everything just clicked beautifully in the last qtr.

The game style we play is not safe, so blunders will happen, just have to accept them and move on, no matter how frustrating they are

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The off-season has done good things for Mihocek. He looked like he was back to his hard-hitting sharp best.

I think his body was looking a bit beaten up at the end of last season, but I also think we underestimate the impact of McStay on Mihocek's output. He is much, much more effective as a third tall behind a proper key forward and resting ruck. A structure with McStay, Cameron/Cox and Checkers will truly show benefits in Checkers output more than anything else. If you look at his past games, his output increases exponentially from being number 1 forward to number 2 to number 3.

One reason I am truly pleased we got McStay, and not just because I am living up to my username and rejoicing that the KPF at Collingwood isn't dead after all.

The good:
Everything.
Clearances.
Ball movement.
Beau hitting the scoreboard.
Reef. He is ready.
Hill, definitely adds a new dimension up forward.
Jordy
Tay + Mitchell combo
Daicos
Pendles
Nobes

Everyone.

The bad:
Howe injury.
My leg after trying to step over the seats to the next row and then legging my leg stuck in between.

2023 could not have started any better for Collingwood, as they were able to vanquish the reigning premiers Geelong by 22 points in an exciting and pulsating shootout, despite trailing by more than 20 points on at least three occasions. For three quarters, the Magpies dominated general play and were highly competitive, but were wasteful with their ball use and scoring shots at times, which enabled the Cats to conjure an exceedingly accurate and efficient display of goalkicking down the other end by booting 16.3.99 after three quarters, while the Woods mustered a scoreline of 14.9.93 heading into the last change during the same duration. The final term saw the remainder of the contest played almost entirely on Collingwood's terms and were finally able to convert their chances while keeping Geelong goalless for the entirety of the last quarter. Incredibly great result in totality with remarkable and unbelievable resolve to not yield as most teams would've done. Every player played their role and contributed to the outcome of the game in an impactful and influential way, particularly after losing a key aerial defender in Jeremy Howe who landed horrendously on his arm which became fractured during the third term. All of his teammates became galvanised after he went to hospital and responded in a manner that would've made him proud of the group's efforts.

Collingwood dominated much of the key statistical indicators such as disposals by +57 (372 - 315), kicks were won by +47 (229 - 182),handballs had a differential of +10 (143 - 133), contested possessions were won narrowly by +5 (135 - 130), uncontested possessions had an advantage of +63 (233 - 170), while intercept possessions were won narrowly by +1 (62 - 61). Hit-outs were up by +7 (45 - 38), clearances had a reading of +8 (43 - 35), with stoppage clearances won convincingly by +11 (29 - 18). The Magpies gained further control with the amount of marks they took, which had an ascendancy of +36 (105 - 69), with uncontested marks won by +39 (95 - 56), while tackles had a margin of +8 (52 - 44), with Tackles Inside 50 won by +6 (12 - 6), and Inside 50s had a gain of +16 (62 - 46). Geelong's only gains from their defeat were +3 from centre clearances (17 -14), and contested marks also had +3 (13 - 10). Those two aspects were the only statistical gains that they won on the night. Both teams shared the honours with Marks Inside 50 (16 each) on an extremely flucuating night for both clubs.

Scott Pendlebury (27 disposals @ 78%, 369 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 17 uncontested possessions, 6 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 14 handballs, 4 marks, 8 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 9 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 1 goal) was widely tipped to spend more time in defence before the opening game. Instead, it was the midfield where Pendlebury plyed his trade and impacted the contest with his ability to create scores from his possessions, while laying fierce tackles to quell his opponents. Ball use was also a hallmark of Pendlebury's game, where he was highly effective whenever he won the ball.

Josh Daicos (27 disposals @ 78%, 469 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 2 intercept possessions, 16 kicks, 11 handballs, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 9 score involvements, 5 clearances, 5 stoppage clearances, 6 Inside 50s & 5 Rebound 50s) played his trademark role on the Shane Warne Stand wing brilliantly. Josh was particularly good at saving his team from conceding 5 goals with his rebound work in defence, while there was a marking contest where he was out of position and undersized, yet he ran back with the flight and spoilt the ball out of bounds without giving away a free kick and shot at goal. Josh also displayed his effective link-up play with forward entries and scoring opportunities for his teammates up forward.

Jordan De Goey (25 disposals @ 76%, 418 metres gained, 7 contested possessions, 18 uncontested possessions, 12 kicks, 13 handballs, 8 marks, 3 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 3 goal assists, 11 score involvements, 4 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 6 Inside 50s & 3 goals) played a highly impactful and influential game where he won the ball in dangerous areas and ensured he hit the scoreboard to give his team serious value and bang for buck when it truly counted.

Jack Crisp (22 disposals @ 54%, 376 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 11 kicks, 11 handballs, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal assist, 6 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 centre clearances & 4 Inside 50s) accumulated enough disposals, but was not overly effective with them under pressure. However, Crisp did produce territory by moving the ball forward, albeit to marking contests where the team were not guranteed of winning those battles, while creating enough scoring chains at the same time.

Tom Mitchell (21 disposals @ 81%, 272 metres gained, 14 contested possessions, 7 uncontested possessions, 9 kicks, 12 handballs, 3 marks, 4 tackles, 6 score involvements, 10 clearances, 5 centre clearances, 5 stoppage clearances, 2 Inside 50s & 2 goals) made an impressionable club debut by bringing his strengths to the table, and the team were able to reap the benefits of Mitchell's arrival from Hawthorn by winning the most clearances out of anybody out on the ground. Mitchell was also able to bob up forward and kick two crucial goals which ignited sparks and generated serious momentum.

Steele Sidebottom (19 disposals @ 90%, 332 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 5 marks, 4 tackles, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, 2 clearances & 3 Inside 50s) played his role well without setting the world on fire. Sidebottom's ball use was extremely good, and moved the ball forward at every opportunity.

Darcy Cameron (11 disposals @ 54%, 29 hit-outs, 9 contested possessions, 2 uncontested possessions, 3 intercept possessions, 8 kicks, 3 handballs, 4 marks, 2 contested marks, 2 tackles, 6 score involvements, 3 clearances & 2 stoppage clearances) demonstrated his prowess at ruck contests by giving his midfielders first use as often as possible, while taking a few marks around the ground.

Nick Daicos (35 disposals @ 91%, 579 metres gained, 10 contested possessions, 25 uncontested possessions, 5 intercept possessions, 21 kicks, 14 handballs, 7 marks, 1 goal assist, 9 score involvements, 3 clearances, 3 stoppage clearances, 5 Inside 50s & 3 Rebound 50s) displayed exquisite foot skills from defence which generated several scoring forays, while taking marks to maintain possession before releasing handpasses to teammates in a better position when he didn't kick it or running off his opponents, so he could be used as the next kicking or handball option on the way out towards goal.

John Noble (29 disposals @ 83%, 637 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 24 uncontested possessions, 4 intercept possessions, 23 kicks, 6 handballs, 7 marks, 2 goal assists, 7 score involvements, 5 Inside 50s & 6 Rebound 50s) recovered from an early blunder in the opening seconds to be arguably one of Collingwood's strongest performers, where he provided run and carry off the last line of defence, used the ball effectively and simultaneously turned defence into attack time and time again to the betterment of the team's cause.

Brayden Maynard (19 disposals @ 84%, 281 metres gained, 6 contested possessions, 13 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 13 kicks, 6 handballs, 7 marks, 2 tackles, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements & 2 Inside 50s) competed strongly in the air and held his marks before using the ball in aggressive and effective manner to create scoring opportunities.

Darcy Moore (13 disposals @ 85%, 327 metres gained, 9 contested possessions, 4 uncontested possessions, 9 intercept possessions, 12 kicks, 5 marks, 2 contested marks, 4 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 5 Rebound 50s) led by example in his first game as captain by judging the aerial depth of opposition kicks to perfection by marking them or neutralising such threats by spoiling the ball out of bounds or to the team's advantage at ground level where his teammates would look to gather groundballs in superior numbers. Moore's individual highlight of the night though was a goal-saving tackle on Oliver Henry in the goalsquare which brought every Collingwood fan to their feet.

Beau McCreery (20 disposals @ 85%, 413 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 15 uncontested possessions, 13 kicks, 7 handballs, 5 marks, 2 goal assists, 8 score involvements, 5 Inside 50s & 2 goals) won plenty of the ball, created goals, while getting on the end of a couple of majors himself to have a significant impact on the scoreboard.

Taylor Adams (16 disposals @ 81%, 200 metres gained, 5 contested possessions, 11 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 8 handballs, 3 marks, 3 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 3 goal assists, 9 score involvements, 3 clearances, 2 stoppage clearances, 4 Inside 50s & 1 goal) thrived in his new role up forward where he was heavily involved in scoring chains, kicked a cracking goal from a stoppage in the opening quarter, before spending brief periods in the middle as a part of the midfield rotations.

Bobby Hill (10 disposals @ 90%, 318 metres gained, 2 contested possessions, 8 uncontested possessions, 8 kicks, 2 handballs, 7 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 3 tackles, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements, 5 Inside 50s & 3 goals) put on a show where he was lively at every turn in his first game for the club. Hill was able to take a lot of marks, and worked hard back towards goal to convert all of his chances, which proved to be decisive in Collingwood's victory when it was all said and done.

Brody Mihocek (9 disposals @ 56%, 168 metres gained, 4 contested possessions, 5 uncontested possessions, 6 kicks, 3 handballs, 5 marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 2 tackles, 5 score involvements, 2 Inside 50s & 2 goals) made the most of his limited opportunities up forward and took marks when they were on offer for him.

Mason Cox (6 disposals @ 100%, 222 metres gained, 16 hit-outs, 5 contested possessions, 6 kicks, 5 marks, 3 contested marks, 2 Marks Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 5 score involvements, 4 Inside 50s & 2 goals) demonstrated his aerial capacity and presence with two great marks up forward, followed by two classy goals with swagger to go with them, while ably supporting Darcy Cameron in the ruck with aplomb and vigour.

Reef McInnes (4 disposals @ 75%, 3 contested possessions, 3 kicks, 2 tackles, 2 Tackles Inside 50, 1 goal assist, 4 score involvements & 2 goals) gave the Magpies the spark that the team needed as he was substituted into the game for Jeremy Howe and produced a burst of energy on the scoreboard that was particularly important in the context of the contest.

Collingwood's next game will be against Port Adelaide on March 25 at the MCG. The Magpies will need to ensure they have the wood on the Power after their powerful display against the Brisbane Lions in Adelaide, where they put the Lions to the sword in the second half during their victory in unexpected circumstances. The Woods will definitely need to consider Billy Frampton for a club debut after Jeremy Howe's sickening injury. Jamie Elliott and Dan McStay were subdued against the Cats for various reasons against the Cats, and will be required to kick some goals between them. They're the key factors to look out for next weekend as areas for improvement and continued success.

Attachments

• 7851A04D-997B-428E-AB79-AC6D9A5A286A.jpeg
    7851A04D-997B-428E-AB79-AC6D9A5A286A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 40
  • 0A0CAEC5-06A2-4AF0-86CF-1F8321A7D407.jpeg
    0A0CAEC5-06A2-4AF0-86CF-1F8321A7D407.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 41
  • AA80E61A-988B-486D-A7E6-F38F22158DB7.jpeg
    AA80E61A-988B-486D-A7E6-F38F22158DB7.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • 28E339C4-B245-40A4-B164-146A3E4F0AFB.jpeg
    28E339C4-B245-40A4-B164-146A3E4F0AFB.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
An outside rando's personal rankings after analysing the replay in detail for anyone who cares.
Everyone starts at 0 and goes up incrementally; accounting for the entire game (i.e. most players average out to a 5 and below that doesn't necessarily mean a "bad" game. 10's are rare and not everyone can be a stand out.)

J de Goey 9
-
N Daicos 8
J Daicos 8
T Mitchell 7
S Pendlebury 7
D Moore 7
B McCreery 7
-
T Adams 6
B Hill 6
J Noble 5
M Cox 5
-
B Mihocek 4
B Maynard 4
S Sidebottom 4
J Crisp 4
J Elliott 4
I Quaynor 4
N Murphy 3
D Cameron 3
R McInnes (s) 3
D McStay 3
-
W Hoskin-Elliott 2
J Howe 2

Geelong rankings for comparison: Autopsy - Cats lose to Pies by 22 points

The spirit and the belief of this current side are ****ing immense, credit to all the boys and the coaching stuff.

And with the natural improvement of our list profile we're in for a fun few years.

For me perhaps the most impressive thing last night was that our 8 goals to nothing run came after the Howe injury. It isn’t uncommon when teams have such a gruesome injury (though I am hoping it’s not as bad as it looked) that they get distracted and can play a little flat for a while. And you could hear it in Darcy’s interview after the match that the team had been emotionally effected by it.
I think it’s fair to say, we as supporters were flat after the injury, (I know I was).
Our next goal barely caused a murmur in the crowd.
So for them to be able to set that aside and stay in the moment for the second half was really impressive.
Agree wholeheartedly.

Question, it's on the tip of my tongue, but who is your runner? Annoys me how much they show the coaches on the footage these days and now it's worse because I know the face but I can't think of his name!

All the best for the season.
Bump.

Can anyone put me out of my misery and let me know who your runner is? Or point me to a list of runners/water folk etc?

Cheers!

Did we play in our 2022 guernsey last night? Isn't Fly Emirates (new design) meant to be where KFC was last night?
It was Geelong's home game, hence wearing our away black-based jumper (KFC front sponsor)

Technically you're right haha, as Nike have made no actual changes to the jumper, save for the new Emirates logo on the home (which was requested by Emirates). There's otherwise no difference between our first Nike kits in 2021 and this years' outside of logos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back