Round 1 Preview: Collingwood v Adelaide - By DaVe86

Remove this Banner Ad

BTW I heard on the radio a couple of the Crows youngsters like Bernice Vince played really well today, for those who watched the game, how did Dangerfield go ?

It does appear rumours of Adelaide's demise were premature

While some of the umpiring was a concern (how Davis didnt get a 50 when Bock didnt give the ball back properly towards the end of the 4th was confusing) the better team ON THE DAY won, i stress on the day as the amount of costly clangers from Collingwood players up to half time and towards the end of the game, really gave the Crows the win.

By round 22 you'd have to say Collingwood > Crows. Only round 1 so theres nothing to get excited/dissapointed about with your teams performance unless your Richmond of course ;)

BTW I heard on the radio a couple of the Crows youngsters like Bernice Vince played really well today, for those who watched the game, how did Dangerfield go ?

It does appear rumours of Adelaide's demise were premature

Dangerfield was solid CP without starring. Petrenko was excellent and he is a good young player for the Crows.

And I thought there wouldn't be anything else to smile about this weekend. Complain all you like pies fans, umpires or not you had the chance to win the game but fell short. Pendles bad miss in the last quarter the best of them. And as always, be in front, get the benefit of the doubt.
Craig's tactic's set up the win. Malthouse should share a room at the retirement village with Sheedy and Pagan. The game has passed him by.
Such a shame that Nick "The Sniper" Maxwell's first game in charge should end in such a deflating fashion.

To be fair to other guy, Schmitt and Nicholls were the only ones to umpire badly. Both would be worthy recipients of terminal cancer.

Either way Pies had chances and blew it. Adelaide played better and deserved to win.

Such a shame that Nick "The Sniper" Maxwell's first game in charge should end in such a deflating fashion.
Did you think he played a poor game? Could you please tell us what part of his game you thought was not up to scratch.

And yes, it is a shame that he had to lose the first game of the year.

and whats the excuse this time?

you were the better team than adelaide on the ground, but they beat you on the scoreboard?

well?

176624.jpg

It's pretty obvious that Adelaide deserved to win, they gave it all and fought to the end, last year when Adelaide and C'wood played at the MCG it was a very similar situation, C'wood broke away during the 3rd and the Crows couldn't get back that time, but today they fought back and were determined.

As for the umpires, yes some of it was terrible both ways, but it didn't make a difference, Crows deserved to win and thats that.

It's pretty obvious that Adelaide deserved to win, they gave it all and fought to the end, last year when Adelaide and C'wood played at the MCG it was a very similar situation, C'wood broke away during the 3rd and the Crows couldn't get back that time, but today they fought back and were determined.

As for the umpires, yes some of it was terrible both ways, but it didn't make a difference, Crows deserved to win and thats that.
Actually, it made 4 goals of a difference...

Actually, it made 4 goals of a difference...

images

yeah I suppose it would to Collingwood supporters who manage to ignore every BS decision that went your way and only focus on the ones you think you deserved.

of course you could look at it that if our kids hadnt shanked so many kicks on goal you would have been buried by 3qtr time, but twist it however you like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

images

yeah I suppose it would to Collingwood supporters who manage to ignore every BS decision that went your way and only focus on the ones you think you deserved.

of course you could look at it that if our kids hadnt shanked so many kicks on goal you would have been buried by 3qtr time, but twist it however you like.
How many did go our way and how many went your way?

Its one game ffs. People get way to carried away.

Yep, one game. and with such a young inexperienced side they are likely to be inconsistent, but its just nice to see the nucleus of a bunch of good young kids for a decent side in a year or two, and that rebuilds can be done without the need to tank from round 13

Crows were too good.

Their first quarter was scary. I was sitting near the front of the top level and they got that hawks zone going and we were absolutly hopeless against it. It looked identical to the thrashings we got from the hawks last year... why did they change after 1/4 time???

Unfortunately we probably got comfortable after coming from behind to get 3 goals up and then switched off.

No need to panic, we have Melbourne next week. If we can't beat them, then with Geelong the week after it might be time to panic just a little.

The only really bad one i thought was the Thomas mark. You have to pay that - i thought we went thru that already when the hands in back rule came in. Pay the bloody high flying marks - the hand was totally incidental contact.

He dropped it = no mark. Hands on the shoulder = free to the man in front. Played on afterwards = should have been 50.

Can't believe the reaction to this game lol... it's ridiculous.

A few unbiased people have agreed that unfortunately for Collingwood they did cop a pretty raw deal from the umps this game. It is probably focused on heavily because a lot of those decisions directly resulted in a goal to the opposition...

But anyway, I can't believe the amount of negative feedback Collingwood have recieved after round 1! Round 1 people. It was a good contest and a close game. Adelaide were fantastic in the first quarter, they really came out in the first quarter a lot harder than Collingwood did.... But thats round 1 for ya! People overreact every year.

Collingwood fans have a hell of a lot of bagging to put in the bank, particulary from Carlton supporters and it's only round one. 21 rounds to go.

bad ump calls are a part of footy so for me thats not an excuse. I think in the last quarter we had many opportunities to win this but our skill execution let us down. Just look at the last minute. Didak botched a handball and Marty's kick skewed off the boot to be a turnover. We could have won it, but didn't. Adelaide's skills under pressure in the last quarter were better than ours and they won. Well done crows. You are a much better side than I had believed you to be before this game. I'm curious to see how well the crows will go this year.

A few unbiased people have agreed that unfortunately for Collingwood they did cop a pretty raw deal from the umps this game. It is probably focused on heavily because a lot of those decisions directly resulted in a goal to the opposition...

Far more of them have said it went both ways, which it did.

Adelaide dominated the majority of the game, had they converted well it would have been a thumping. They deserved the win.

Far more of them have said it went both ways, which it did.

Adelaide dominated the majority of the game, had they converted well it would have been a thumping. They deserved the win.

I never once said that Adelaide didn't deserve the win and i didn't blame umpiring on the loss either... It's fare to mention it as one of the factors though.

Unlucky for Adelaide that they weren't as skilled in front of goal as they were around the ground. But then again 'IF they converted', 'IF the umpires paid obvious frees', IF IF IF same difference?....

Relatively good contest though for round 1. Still hard to judge where both sides sit this early in the season.

I never once said that Adelaide didn't deserve the win and i didn't blame umpiring on the loss either... It's fare to mention it as one of the factors though.

Unlucky for Adelaide that they weren't as skilled in front of goal as they were around the ground. But then again 'IF they converted', 'IF the umpires paid obvious frees', IF IF IF same difference?....

Relatively good contest though for round 1. Still hard to judge where both sides sit this early in the season.

Yep, a factor in why the game was so close, obvious 50s missed, HTB without prior opportunity on more than one occasion, Collingwood given an eternity to dispose of it, the Crows were jipped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 1 Preview: Collingwood v Adelaide - By DaVe86

Remove this Banner Ad

Back