Autopsy Round 10, 2024: Hawks get pipped by Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Outside of the dreadful last minute which many players made fundamental errors. Day not playing defensive with 20s left on butters. Meek tapping instead of forcing a stoppage to a, kill time and b, remove 6 6 6 restrictions so we could flood back.

There were a few repeat stoppages on the midway through the last and Ginnivan was protecting the corridor and twice told MacDonald to cover the loose port player at the back of the stoppage MacDonald ingnored him and the player and instead hoping he'd somehow win the ball on the outskirts of the stoppage. Didn't hurt us first time but the 2nd ball up and Ginnivan again tells MacDonald repeatedly to pick him up, MacDonald this time actions back to Ginnivan to pick him up but Ginnivan was correctly protecting the corridor exit of stoppage in a defensive position.

MacDonald left port player free and stayed forward boundary side of port player and let them waltz it out.

Great performance for most of it but an extremely disappointing result. The free kicks were unnecessary especially Amon even if Rioli marks the clock continues to run for the free kick I’m sure it stopped. and the last centre clearance was diabolical positioning, we just needed everyone to tag and meek to drop it in tight we did the opposite. You learn most from failure and the last quarter is a huge learning. Whatever the reason for defending for the entire quarter, whether a plan or fatigue or other, that needs to be clearly identified and rectified asap. I don’t mind losing to better teams, bad luck etc but not like that.

Right now that’s an absolute kick in the guts.

But so many positives in the first three quarters.

If both players and coaching staff learn something about game management then long term it’s not a bad result.

Can I admit....I had to watch the final 5 minutes with the sound down because of BT and Butthead on the call

As Hyphen man boy kicked the ball I screamed NOOOOOOOOO! that's ****ed ! really loudly and immediately turned off the TV

I looked up to see both teenage daughters and wife staring blankly at me - I then yelled out "I hate sport" and am now sulking in the study

Not a great effort by me -
don't worry I did the same I could see it coming a mile away

To quote Big Kev: I'm excited!!!

So proud of the brown and gold today!!! I'm sure I'm echoing others and will work through the comments in due course

We are going to go close the next two weeks and it's exciting times. The talent is starting to show and the depth is building. A month ago and it felt like our season was over.

Today we cop a hard lesson. But the hard way is the Hawthorn way. Bring on the Lions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting presser from Sam who said the instructions were to not play so defensive and we need to understand when we are leading how to put more score on the board.
I only listened to the last quarter in the car. But when they kicked all those behinds it sounded like we kept going long to the flanks/wings and simply couldn't win the contest from there.

Interesting presser from Sam who said the instructions were to not play so defensive and we need to understand when we are leading how to put more score on the board.
That will be the external perspective (that we tried to shut up shop).

We'll learn from this experience, though. It might even happen again. However, we're now starting to get ourselves into these positions, which will allow us to learn from the outcomes.

I cannot imagine the coach said go out and kick one point for the last quarter. It sadly just happened that way. But the loss is not on the coach anymore than the 7 goal lead was - the players earned it and the players blew it. They will learn.

Absolutely shattering.

Some thoughts:
  • were totally gassed. There's no other way to put it
  • not manning up on Houston around the arcs,.for 3 goals, was the ball game. Epic fail
  • Newk 2 kicks on the full in the last. Again cost us.
  • Amon in the last play looked totally scared. We missed the leadership of Sicily and Scrim
  • Phillips had 8 intercept possessions from 10 touches in his first game. The most of any player on the ground. He's a keeper. Could be our CHB for the next 7 years.
  • Butters had the best last quarter you'll ever see. What a star.
  • Breust is absolutely cooked. That whole sub move ruined us. Meant we had to send a bloke who'd kicked 5 into defence. Brain dead move.
  • Umps willed them over the line in the end. But I'm still staggered we didn't have anyone on the goal line for that last goal. Again, brain dead.

I was at the game, and have to say that’s the worst loss I have ever witnessed besides the 2012 GF. Yes we have ourselves to blame but the umpiring in the last 5 mins was not just s*t, it was out and out bonafide cheating. All the port supporters near us were even saying it. I gave a heap of them s*t walking back over the bridge and not one person said anything and anyone that said anything agreed. Utterly ***** disgraceful!!!
agreed the umpires don't want hawks to win for whatever reason.

Just when they had worked so hard in the first three quarters to prevent red time goals. Disgraceful last passage but I’m pretty happy with what I saw today.
This is what keeps running through my mind. For the first time all season, no goals in the last 3 mins of each quarter. And then it all blew up

Livid.

I don’t mind so much the conservative ball movement in the last qtr but it infected our attack on the footy. We were harder and stronger all day until started to sit back and let them get first hands.

lots and lots of good with players out. Could have turned in shocker today and was far from that.

i might start thinking about it positively tomrorrow. doubt it though.

Great first 3 quarters, diabolical last quarter. Just went too defensive too early. As much as it hurts, I think we will learn more from losing than winning that game. The review is always harder after a loss like that. Gutted to lose, but showed great signs.
That’s how I felt too.

What an effort it was for us to play like we did without Sicily and Scrim back there. We did so much right today.

Midfield really did a very good job for so much of the game. Should've been able to hold on, but we'd been able to make better decisions in the previous weeks, and we're clearly still a work in progress.

People can be angry about the loss for sure, but bloody hell, we were 5 seconds and a few poor decisions from winning 4 games in 5 weeks.

Screenshot 2024-05-19 at 8.06.05 pm.png

Just got home from the game (quick detour at The Bath Hotel for some stress relief beers). Just wow. Just flat after that - we were all sitting there saying when we were 35 up that we weren’t confident and it bloody came true. Going into the game I’d have been thrilled at a 1 point loss but that’s just a kick in the guts. Love this club but after the Gather Round game, my heart has shed about 10 years of life expectancy (and probably liver). Hope we pull out the same Hawthorn we saw in the first 3 quarters at our Marvel “home” against Brisbane

Who were the half forwards that kept letting Houston run past easily for goals?

Outside of the dreadful last minute which many players made fundamental errors. Day not playing defensive with 20s left on butters. Meek tapping instead of forcing a stoppage to a, kill time and b, remove 6 6 6 restrictions so we could flood back.

There were a few repeat stoppages on the midway through the last and Ginnivan was protecting the corridor and twice told MacDonald to cover the loose port player at the back of the stoppage MacDonald ingnored him and the player and instead hoping he'd somehow win the ball on the outskirts of the stoppage. Didn't hurt us first time but the 2nd ball up and Ginnivan again tells MacDonald repeatedly to pick him up, MacDonald this time actions back to Ginnivan to pick him up but Ginnivan was correctly protecting the corridor exit of stoppage in a defensive position.

MacDonald left port player free and stayed forward boundary side of port player and let them waltz it out.
🤫

People will look at the stats and tell you he did well today. He didn’t but I am not going to debate it with anyone on here as he has his backers.

Plays a decent 4 quarter game every 6 weeks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back