Autopsy Round 10, 2024: Hawks get pipped by Power

Remove this Banner Ad

Newcombe had a stinker after quarter time. What is happening to him this season? He's played three great games, but every other game has been pretty disappointing, he would pretty much have one great quarter and then have limited impact.

His first qtr was elite 9/10 and then went backwards at rapid rate including two terrible on the full kicks in the last qtr.

I think it was pretty clear the team was gassed at 3Q time. We tried to slow the game down by playing the boundary and getting repeat stoppages. Unfortunately Port are a very strong stoppage team and our defensive positioning was sloppy.

I reckon if we’d continued to attack we’d have maybe kicked another couple goals but Port would have kicked another 4 on top of what they did and we’d have lost the lead earlier.
It's hard to know what would have happened if we had continued to attack, you might be right, who knows. I do agree we looked exhausted. So many fumbles.

15 minutes to go and we start playing as if there was 30 seconds on the clock and leading by a point.

simon cowell facepalm GIF

Go back and watch again. The whole last qtr from start to finish was backwards and sideways garbage to try and ice the clock.

Newcombe had a stinker after quarter time. What is happening to him this season? He's played three great games, but every other game has been pretty disappointing, he would pretty much have one great quarter and then have limited impact.

Have to disagree with this. Newc worked his bum off in that last quarter. He was in just about every contest fighting for the ball. He is one of our most important players. We are by far a better team when he plays well.

Ginnivan has been really important in our close wins this season. He would have helped our chances to ice the game if he was on the field today in the last few minutes...

Ginni has been a really big leader at points - I still remember him during the last moments of our win vs. Doggies, and he was at a lot of the contests telling everyone to keep the ball in tight, don't let it slip to the outside.

I love it - his move to Hawthorn from Pies, has made him go from one of the younger, inexperienced players - to one of the more seasoned players - and he is really rising to the occassion. It's just awesome to see.

Two frees against. One of those kicks came off his knee after he dithered about, and his first touch was a handball he inexplicably gave up straight to an opponent. He looked too slow. IMO we should have subbed Watson out instead and kept CJ on.

His first instincts which has been one of his best attributes seems gone. Just when you think he will handball it he takes another step and gets absolutely nailed.

A true star of the club for a decade or so and the cliff has come at a rapid rate unfortunately.

I'm not sure you can say that.

There was a lot to like about today, but a team can't have a fourth quarter like we did today, and still deserve to win.
Ridiculous. So could you say Port can't have a first quarter like that and still deserve to win? Because that was worse. Both teams deserved to win and both deserved to cop the loss.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This hurts big time. Genuinely gutted.
But, when you stop trying to win and try and not lose, you open up the game to the opposition.
Only positive is I think the old adage of, you learn more from a loss than a win, will hopefully be true. There's was plenty to like, but our last qtr was one of trying to hold on rather than win.

Plenty to like. Loved DÁmbrosio's game, loved our first 3qtr, loved the fact we did it without our captain and our arguably our best player this year in Scrimshaw.

Be shitty for 24hours and move on as Sammy says

I've calmed down now. Was absolutely spewing at the siren.

I thought we'd be lucky to get within 5 goals today so to play as well as we did for 3 quarters is really encouraging.

Yes we dropped off massively and lost in heart-breaking fashion but there were still so many positives today.

Compare the last few weeks (with less talent in atm) to the side at the start of the year and you can see how much more exciting we look. Our future is looking much brighter than it was 2 months ago.

Massimo, Dear, Watson, Mackenzie, Weddle. That's some pretty exciting young talent to go with the likes of our already exciting 21-26 year old bunch. Just some more time and patience required.

Can understand him doing that, bloke was treated pretty harshly tbh. Never wanted to leave Hawthorn, was forced out then (likely) cops s**t all day from a bunch of ferals
Didn't notice he was playing tbh until he gave everyone a spray after the siren. Also, it's pretty widely known he was a figjam

Can understand him doing that, bloke was treated pretty harshly tbh. Never wanted to leave Hawthorn, was forced out then (likely) cops s**t all day from a bunch of ferals
There weren’t many at Waverley unhappy to see him go. His attitude had become an issue.

Two frees against. One of those kicks came off his knee after he dithered about, and his first touch was a handball he inexplicably gave up straight to an opponent. He looked too slow. IMO we should have subbed Watson out instead and kept CJ on.
Those two frees given were not there, not going to put that on a player. He was also unlucky not to get a couple his way as well. Just rewatched that last quarter, Amon let us down the most.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back