Preview Round 10: St Kilda vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Flea. Just a note. If you're ranked 17th in an 18 team comp in anything it's a fair bet you're losing those differentials week in, week out.

Actually I saw mentioned on another forum an explanation for this.

Our style of play centers around keeping the ball moving, so we deliberately try to minimize stoppages (we are one of the lowest in the league for these). As such, most of our games have had fewer opportunities for contested possies which is why we rank so low. Despite this, the differential from our games isn't that bad, according to one poster we were 9th in the league before the bombers game (not sure now).

Key to beating us therefore is to force the stoppages and break up our free flowing play. You guys at Etihad should be more than suited to that.

Should be good then, Carlton play uncontested and we smashed them

I thought Richmond played uncontested footy cos they didnt like to go in get hard ball as they might break a nail or mess their hair up :D:D:D:D:D

Let the tiggers bounce for a little while. It's been so long...

I think it's great to see Richmond up and about again and I really like the way they are playing at the moment under Hardwick. When was the last time a St Kilda v Richmond game was match of the round and had this sort of build up and hype? I can't even remember one like it, you'd probably have to go back to the 60s or early 70s where both teams were finals contenders.

Obviously I'm still hoping we beat them on Friday night but it's great for the competition to have Richmond as a legitimate contender again.

I think it's great to see Richmond up and about again and I really like the way they are playing at the moment under Hardwick. When was the last time a St Kilda v Richmond game was match of the round and had this sort of build up and hype? I can't even remember one like it, you'd probably have to go back to the 60s or early 70s where both teams were finals contenders.

Obviously I'm still hoping we beat them on Friday night but it's great for the competition to have Richmond as a legitimate contender again.

i have posted two games from that era

rd 4 '68
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEHKgiGJJBk

Prem Final '71
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9izGI-VB18

Key to beating us therefore is to force the stoppages and break up our free flowing play. You guys at Etihad should be more than suited to that.

i think thats also the key for us.

We still like a stoppage - ask Swans - Etihad is tighter, harder to spread and now we have some speed we can also get the cheap fast break goals.

Midfield still key and Maric is a big problem - he'll dominate.

Should be a cracker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we like to score early and if you give us the lead at 3rd it should be our win.. but it should be a cracker

dont think anyone would have predicted this game to be massive compared with other friday games

always liked watching the saints play tigers and Jack play nick :p

we will probably tag a runner like dal santo not lenny even though he is a terrific player.

i can see Delidio coping the Tag from our end

Cotchin, Dellllleedddiiioooo, Foley, Tuck, Martin, Grigg

Hown are the Saints going to stop this midfield machine with big ivan putting it down there throats.

I think Jack is due for a huge game up forward..looked to be jumping at the ball again last week.

Hown are the Saints going to stop this midfield machine with big ivan putting it down there throats.

Lenny and his mates Dal Santo, Goddard, Montanga may give it a shot. They are after all a midfield that nearly won a flag

I think Jack is due for a huge game up forward..looked to be jumping at the ball again last week.

Hayes, Steven, Dal Santo, Armo, Goddard, Milera, Milne, Ahmed Saad, Montagna. How are Richmond going to stop this brutal midfield/ mosquitto fleet from winning the clearances and terrorizing your defence into turning the ball over like few can ?
I think Riewoldt, Kosi and Milne are due for a big night.
Don´t get to confident now, we´ve taken some big scalps recently just like the Tigers. You´d want to show some respect to a team that is playing better than most expected and at their home ground.
Much to like about Richmond at the moment the same can be said about the Saints.
We are very much looking forward to the contest.

Lenny and his mates Dal Santo, Goddard, Montanga may give it a shot. They are after all a midfield that nearly won a flag

Most sensible thing so far in this thread from Tiges supporter!!

Think some people arent paying enough respect to Lenny Hayes and how good he is with reading the oppositions ruckman and getting the clearances. Afterall he dominating these stats without our own ruckman.

Deledio, Cotchin are extremely dangerous. Grigg, Foley, Tuck are level below them and Martin is one most inconsistent players in game at moment.

We have Lenny, Dal, Montagna, Goddard and then Steven, Armitage, Jones a level below these guys.

Should be a cracker of midfield battle though :thumbsu:

Hayes, Steven, Dal Santo, Armo, Goddard, Milera, Milne, Ahmed Saad, Montagna. How are Richmond going to stop this brutal midfield/ mosquitto fleet from winning the clearances and terrorizing your defence into turning the ball over like few can ?
I think Riewoldt, Kosi and Milne are due for a big night.
Don´t get to confident now, we´ve taken some big scalps recently just like the Tigers. You´d want to show some respect to a team that is playing better than most expected and at their home ground.
Much to like about Richmond at the moment the same can be said about the Saints.
We are very much looking forward to the contest.

Respect goes both ways. Most tigers think we can win but aren't saying it's a guarantee, probably just observational bias on my part but most Saints seem to be saying it's a win full stop (I've only seen a few say it's a danger game), do correct me if I'm wrong.

Also most of our comments talk about possibilities because we're hopeful about what this year and the next can bring, people seem to be confusing that with arrogance (granted some are definitely being arrogant). Just disappointed that I would have to explain that to everyone we come up against but I guess that's the nature of a healthy competition and supporters who love their club.

If the Saints win I'll be in here saying good game, well played, just hope you'll all do the same (and don't go writing off your season like the Hawks did).

I differ to most in feeling the game will actually be won and lost, not through the midfield but on Richmond's half back line. Its pretty obvious now that Richmond marshall every attack from half-back, and are very high possession in this area to do so.

Apply enough pressure here and we'll be in all sorts of trouble because we wont be able to spread and run it quick enough into the forward line:.. and our improved defensive pressure across the ground will not prevent a turnover on the 50m line being punished severely.... and Im not sure if we have a fully tested plan B just yet.

the midfield battle will be a 50/50 affair, os the ball will go forward for St.Kilda very regularly which means we'll have to be using the usual half-back line tactic quite alot..

Flea. Just a note. If you're ranked 17th in an 18 team comp in anything it's a fair bet you're losing those differentials week in, week out.
Not necessarily. If you have watched us play a game this year you would realise we don't have many stoppages. We were ranked =1st for disposal efficiency with Hawthorn before last week and fair to say we would now be outright 1st as they were rubbish. Because of this and our high possession game style we don't have a lot of stoppages. Hard to get clearances when there's nothing to clear it from. That's why the clearance differential is important when judging our clearance ability.

It's also a good effort for Ivan to have us 10th on the Hitout list as there are not a lot of ball-ups/throw-ins in our games.

Most sensible thing so far in this thread from Tiges supporter!!

Think some people arent paying enough respect to Lenny Hayes and how good he is with reading the oppositions ruckman and getting the clearances. Afterall he dominating these stats without our own ruckman.

Deledio, Cotchin are extremely dangerous. Grigg, Foley, Tuck are level below them and Martin is one most inconsistent players in game at moment.

We have Lenny, Dal, Montagna, Goddard and then Steven, Armitage, Jones a level below these guys.

Should be a cracker of midfield battle though :thumbsu:

have to admit I'm still in shock with Hayes. When he went down, just the way it looked I remember staying "damn, thats it for him, all over now". I was surprised he didn't hang them up, and just hoped he could get SOME of his old form back (nothing worse than great players going on as a shadow of their former selves). Its just plain scary how good he's been playing though - would never have thought the injury happened at all.

I differ to most in feeling the game will actually be won and lost, not through the midfield but on Richmond's half back line. Its pretty obvious now that Richmond marshall every attack from half-back, and are very high possession in this area to do so.

Apply enough pressure here and we'll be in all sorts of trouble because we wont be able to spread and run it quick enough into the forward line:.. and our improved defensive pressure across the ground will not prevent a turnover on the 50m line being punished severely.... and Im not sure if we have a fully tested plan B just yet.

the midfield battle will be a 50/50 affair, os the ball will go forward for St.Kilda very regularly which means we'll have to be using the usual half-back line tactic quite alot..

Been very impressed with B.Houli this year...
Decent kick, plays tough footy, and has good run and carry to break the lines.
Kind of reminds me of Sam Gilbert when he was at peak (both lefties, but Houli can kick the ball, but is shorter than Gilbert)

As someone else previously mentioned, would love to see Saad match up on Houli...their basically the same height (183 vs 181cm), and it would be fantastic for the game.
I just hope for saints fans our man Saad can play a blinder and kick a few goals!

On a lighthearted note, the number of Richmond posters in this thread is astounding!
Keep the banter up boys!

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview Round 10: St Kilda vs Richmond

Remove this Banner Ad

Back