Autopsy Round 13, 2021: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Wowee. Talk about hindsight. 3 years ago nearly everyone on here said we needed outside run. I’m sure you did. I certainly did so we went and got outside run. We needed another inside mid. Got one. Needed another ruck who could play forward. Got one. More outside pace. Got one. A full back. Got one. A classy small forward. Got 2.

I said I can see the logic in chasing him because we can't get anyone to come but he'd be unpopular with fans because he's so outside. He's even worse than I could have imagined though. He's very lazy, last week he was on target to have his best game as a Saint and stopped at half time.

It’s always hard to read to much into a post game presser but he seems pretty lost.

can’t blame him but if he can’t even churn out a coherent sentence there how is he going to give any sort of message to the playing group.
He seems defeated & incredibly pissed off. Makes me laugh at how we've ended up in the position we're in.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we finished higher then some people are predicting on the ladder. If we are getting players back and playing without pressure cos there’s nothing to lose, could see us snagging a few.

Personally, I’m more interested in the off season and who wins the granny. Put it this way, given our injuries and form I wasn’t expecting an amazing finals run anyway, but what we NEED is youth and top end draft talent. Call me crazy, but I actually trust the club to land good players in the draft if we have decent picks.

We are offloading the “dead wood”, bringing in kids (already started with the MSD), and have a decent young core, with some really solid players around the 26 year old mark.

Add to that some new assistant coaches and a better fixture in 2022, I can only see the club improving. Our leaders and stars are young, let them grow from these experiences.

There are plenty of games we have had no excuse to have lost this season, but we have, good clubs aren’t idle when things aren’t going their way. I’m backing us in, trusting us to be active for the remainder of 2021 on and off field.

Last edited:
I’ve just quoted every Billings post from the last 2 pages to spell out exactly how strong a hand we have and why this isn’t Brad Crouch.

first part everyone needs to understand. Billings is a restricted free agent. so there 3 scenarios that play out here.

1. He gets a band 1 compo deal and we let him walk (best case)

2. He doesn’t get a band 1 compo deal - but still wants to go to that club. WE MATCH AT THIS POINT.
that club will need to trade and unless that club is north Melbourne. They won’t get him via the draft.
we can all agree that if we had to trade JB we would be asking for a first rounder for a good player who isn’t a superstar but can win you matches (does so for us yearly) - as an example if I take the ladder as it is today and he says he wants to go to essendon - we ask for their first rounder. Pick 9

3. Market determines his salary is much below his current request which is a couple 100k apart from our current offer. Let’s say it’s 550-600. He and us agree. He gets re-signed and is a saint for life. Which I think most would be happy with aswell

How Does it differ from crouch for those playing at home?

we aren’t rebuilding. We aren’t forcing JB out. We have had a bad year and there is potential gain for both parties. However we are now on record via the president saying 2022 is when our window begins in the clubs eyes.

JB has also not been found in possession along with a team mate who is now no longer an AFL player due to indiscretions. He is a model pro at our club. Leadership group etc etc.
All good in theory, but of we match the offer I doubt anyone gives up a top 10 pick for him.

And then we are stuck with his contract and are paying him up to 150k more than he's worth.

I said I can see the logic in chasing him because we can't get anyone to come but he'd be unpopular with fans because he's so outside. He's even worse than I could have imagined though. He's very lazy, last week he was on target to have his best game as a Saint and stopped at half time.
Lazy is the one thing you can’t say about him. Be like geary doesn’t go hard enough or plugger was a poor set shot. Anyway as I said they might not have worked out but it was a clear plan to target weaknesses

It’s always hard to read to much into a post game presser but he seems pretty lost.

can’t blame him but if he can’t even churn out a coherent sentence there how is he going to give any sort of message to the playing group.
Ratten clearly and rightly will get another year to turn it around, but he is tough to listen to at the moment. Obviously, coaches will have a tough time explaining losses and selling hope when we are having regular and poor losses, but he is missing the mark a bit too often. Others will disagree with this, but I don't think his constant references to getting players back from injury is helpful. I'm sure the players aren't sitting around waiting for injured players to return, but I do think that Ratten has been too quick to reference our injured players this year. When he references it in almost every press conference, it becomes pretty clear that he sees us as being reliant on individual players more than good teams are.

All good in theory, but of we match the offer I doubt anyone gives up a top 10 pick for him.

And then we are stuck with his contract and are paying him up to 150k more than he's worth.
Exactly. I doubt we match an offer. Hardly ever happens. Anyway he may want to stay and they aren’t going to force him out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly. I doubt we match an offer. Hardly ever happens. Anyway he may want to stay and they aren’t going to force him out.
Why would we not match the offer plugger? Why would we openly let a player walk that is in our best 18 for ****ing unders when we are supposed to be competing?

does that make sense to you?

Why would we not match the offer plugger? Why would we openly let a player walk that is in our best 18 for ******* unders when we are supposed to be competing?

does that make sense to you?
Because that maybe all he is worth. If he worth so much to us why would we want to lose him. I don’t get it.

Has there been a single case of a club pulling an offer when matched ?
Last year was the first time we have seen a match bid so it's a very small sample, but it seemed like we were more than willing to walk away from the Crouch deal.

Do you genuinely believe a club would be willing to part with a high drsft pick for Billings?

Because that maybe all he is worth. If he worth so much to us why would we want to lose him. I don’t get it.
Because there is every chance we get a top 5 pick which in terms of currency can be flipped into a better player - Cerra Taranto etc etc or you go to the lucky dip of the draft and hope you land better then Billings

Saw below and had to agree

Google Adam Skrobalak. Or look him up on the Saints App.
NEVER played elite AFL, just 'a decorated amateur footy career'. 'Amateur'
:oops:
:roll:

He coached about 4 lower grade teams, and now he's paid the big bucks to be (drum roll)
Senior Assistant Coach- Midfield and Contest.
OMG.
Our midfield n contest is bloody horrible (in the games that we lose)

WHY NOT REPLACE THIS NOBODY with somebody who spent years at a successful club, in the midfield. Matt Priddis from WCE. Sam Mitchell. Anyone who has played mid, and now is an assistant at Swans, Hawks, Tigers, Cats, NOT someone who played really well at AMATEUR LEVEL.

I am not demeaning a Saints official, I am asking a valid question about THE CLUB'S DECISION in the same way a lot of us are asking why the club threw a truckload of money at a worn-out mid.

I seriously question the justification.

Pies grabbed Harves to be their mids coach.
Other clubs get former stars or A-graders who actually played in reasonably successful teams.

If our club was Cricket Australia, we'd get a new batting coach who won an indoor cricket premiership in the Murray-Ovens Indoor Cricket and Lawn Bowls League.

Spare me.

I can't believe people are still talking about the bump on Clarke

It's like complaining about the choice of music on the Titanic as the bow goes under

It needs talking about more to be honest.
That changed the game. That moment shifted the Crows. And hurt our mids.
In the scheme of things McKay decided to put some legal aggression into the play to give his boys a boost. The unfortunate thing for him is that he copper Clark high.

Does anybody else wish that Cal Wilkie was a tiny bit taller. Did a fantastic job on Tex Walker last night, if he was 194/5 he would be ideal as a CHB.

Tom Highmore was looking like the player I expected to see when we picked him up. Definitely a keeper.

Not enough love for Higgins and his games over the last couple of weeks. Remarkable 1 on 1 marking capacity for someone his size.

Paton Howard Webster

Highmore (Tall Wilkie) Some running hbf!!!

Last year was the first time we have seen a match bid so it's a very small sample, but it seemed like we were more than willing to walk away from the Crouch deal.

Do you genuinely believe a club would be willing to part with a high drsft pick for Billings?
Determine high.

1-5. No.

6-10 yes.

don’t forget accumulating cap room to over spend. It has to be used or that ability is lost. So you pay Billings $1m next year if your Essendon. Then 550 over the next 3 as an example.

Saw below and had to agree

Google Adam Skrobalak. Or look him up on the Saints App.
NEVER played elite AFL, just 'a decorated amateur footy career'. 'Amateur'
:oops:
:roll:

He coached about 4 lower grade teams, and now he's paid the big bucks to be (drum roll)
Senior Assistant Coach- Midfield and Contest.
OMG.
Our midfield n contest is bloody horrible (in the games that we lose)

WHY NOT REPLACE THIS NOBODY with somebody who spent years at a successful club, in the midfield. Matt Priddis from WCE. Sam Mitchell. Anyone who has played mid, and now is an assistant at Swans, Hawks, Tigers, Cats, NOT someone who played really well at AMATEUR LEVEL.

I am not demeaning a Saints official, I am asking a valid question about THE CLUB'S DECISION in the same way a lot of us are asking why the club threw a truckload of money at a worn-out mid.

I seriously question the justification.

Pies grabbed Harves to be their mids coach.
Other clubs get former stars or A-graders who actually played in reasonably successful teams.

If our club was Cricket Australia, we'd get a new batting coach who won an indoor cricket premiership in the Murray-Ovens Indoor Cricket and Lawn Bowls League.

Spare me.
Turned Marshall into one of the best young ruckmen in the competition but let's ignore that.

Not having played football at the professional level does not correlate to a poor understanding of the game. Look at the recruitment teams at every club as an example.

Does anybody else wish that Cal Wilkie was a tiny bit taller. Did a fantastic job on Tex Walker last night, if he was 194/5 he would be ideal as a CHB.

Tom Highmore was looking like the player I expected to see when we picked him up. Definitely a keeper.

Not enough love for Higgins and his games over the last couple of weeks. Remarkable 1 on 1 marking capacity for someone his size.
Yeah Wilkie would be an ideal KPD if he was a touch taller. He does a bloody good job on the talls anyway though. Highmore seems like the ideal intercepting third tall type, so I expect they'll see how we go with Wilkie taking one of the two main talls for a while.

Higgo has been great but bad kicking is bad footy unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 13, 2021: St.Kilda v Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back