Autopsy Round 13 = Melbourne 66-62 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

It was the perfect storm in some ways yesterday. Nothing went right, the ball bounced agsinst us, Pendles was unPendles like and everybody in our forward line had poor games. So many poor decisions. Dont know if they were flat, sick, had hit the wall or Melbourne's pressure or a bit of eveything.Yet we only lost by 4 points with plenty of what if's, Nobes, Taylor, WHE, McInnes, Bobby, Crisp handballing to a stationary player he could see was about to be tackled as soon as he received it. I am concerned by Cameron's inability to jump and constant hack kicks.

On SM-N975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Basically we played like Carlton on a good day and only lost by 4 points. Massive upside

Fight is still there which is the main thing. Some players showing their age. Hopefully reset after the bye.

We are the worst contested marking side in the comp....

We sit 6th in this stat.

Our issue is yesterday the ball was played in the Dees front half for far too long, allowing Gawn and May to play loose a kick behind the play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noble takes more risks and gains more metres than most of our defenders- so by definition he’ll make more mistakes.
Do you really want him to play safe and NOT take the game on - ie just stop breaking lines and just offer chip kicks like Mayne?
By your metric he would improve with less mistakes, but in doing so penalise the offensive game plan of the team.
No - the tenor of my argument is that we ought to, at the very least, be considering other options around the back pocket / half back flank position.

You clearly chose to ignore or omit my comment that I like it / prefer it when Noble carries the ball before hitting it long, as this minimises the room for error in his decision-making. The issue with Noble seems to be his ability to place himself in two minds when he tries to create, rather than just taking the first or simplest option.

The Mayne comparison is hardly apples for apples. Different game style and different type of player. The more apt comparison is Markov.

.j
Not enough - remember Oliver was missing.
Im not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, I know Oliver was missing but they still had very big bodied midfielders, we have one genuine one, luckily he is a star.
I thought that all the things that we were exposed in on Monday have resolutions in players to come back, clearances - Degoey. Wings - Sidey and a fitter daicos. May - McStay to nullify and then Elliott to provide fwd pressure.

Yes, you can definitely tell the supporters who only watch games on telly...they never notice the extra work players do off the ball.
fully agreee . when i had oppotunity to go to games it was amazing some of the work u cannot see on TV ( would be nice to have a picture in picture with behind goals view sometimes)

Isn't he the most unlikeable player? How was his free from falling over? Only a minute earlier same thing happened to Murphy & the ump totally ignored it ..

Yes the falling over free, and the seagull goal he got after Gawn blatantly impeded Cameron from being able to contest a mark… certainly gave one the shits yesterday.

fully agreee . when i had oppotunity to go to games it was amazing some of the work u cannot see on TV ( would be nice to have a picture in picture with behind goals view sometimes)
the camera work on the coverage is a pet hate of mine. Years ago, well many years ago now, the footage would give a panoramic view so you could see the play unfold, where as now they favour pointless closeups and randomly switch camera angles to the point that you loose track of where on the ground the play is. It infuriates me at times.

Not sure if it’s been mentioned, but big Mase pretty much confirmed on his podcast that illness ripped through the club during the week. Prefaced it with the whole “it’s absolutely no excuse, Melbourne were the better side, that’s just how footy goes sometimes” but his resigned tone gave away that we weren’t exactly in the best health.

And he also has been battling COVID since the start of the week.

Couple that with a Dees team who set themselves for what is a very important day for the club considering the tragedy which is absolute ****ing champion Neale Daniher’s current health, and you can kinda understand getting so comprehensively beaten by Melbourne insofar as effort and intensity is concerned.

Yes the falling over free, and the seagull goal he got after Gawn blatantly impeded Cameron from being able to contest a mark… certainly gave one the shits yesterday.
Gawn collects Cameron from behind with a clear forearm to the back of the head ..Cameron needed to exaggerate the contact or preferably the ump needed to do his job!

.j
Im not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, I know Oliver was missing but they still had very big bodied midfielders, we have one genuine one, luckily he is a star.
I thought that all the things that we were exposed in on Monday have resolutions in players to come back, clearances - Degoey. Wings - Sidey and a fitter daicos. May - McStay to nullify and then Elliott to provide fwd pressure.
I’m not convinced their dominance at clearance changes with JDG and Oliver returning. While I’m hopeful we can even up contest as we did in the 2nd round late in round 21? last year, having added Mitchell, it’s the only strength I fear with Melb.which we must get neutralize.
Take that away from them and they’re shot IMO.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 13 = Melbourne 66-62 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back