Universal Love Round 13 (Pies win, farewell Bucks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah what a laughable comment from the other poster.

How did Don Bradman not get anyone else to average 99 with the bat?!

Bucks would have to go close to being the greatest kick of the sherrin of all time.
Perhaps his only slight fault that his short and even intermediate passes were hard and flat at about the velocity of Exocet missiles.

Had many a chuckle at team mates surreptitiously rubbing their chests after holding onto one. :D :)

Giants are in a similar rebuilding phase to us. A handful of guns, sprinkled with kids and few list cloggers.

Bucks won't be coaching next season. He'll be in the commentary box and I'll actually be very surprised if he coaches at AFL level again. Too much of a Collingwood man imo.
I actually think GWS are fortunate to have high end talent on their list who will maybe take a year or 2 to start to blossom. If the opportunity arises, Bucks would be mad to not take it. I’m sure he would like to prove he can coach a premiership team.

Does anyone know if there was anything wrong with Darcy Moore at the end of the game? I saw this and there's only two explanations for why we wouldn't have our all AA CHB on to defend a 2-goal lead at the end:

1. He was injured
2. We totally mismanaged our final rotation

View attachment 1155754
I think we ran out of rotations.

I reckon you're over-analysing it. I don't pretend to understand rotations and managing players' workloads but it was probably always pre-planned that he would have that time off the ground. I was there at the ground yesterday and stayed for the on-field post-match celebrations and Darcy looked absolutely AOK at those and as he was walking down the race.

You're probably right, and I'll trust your judgement having been at the ground, but surely we have to have some sort of agility with how we manage rotations intra-match? With the game on the line, pre-planned workload management for our most important player should surely be a secondary concern - there has to be some margin for discretionary effort built into the plan, surely?

You're probably right, and I'll trust your judgement having been at the ground, but surely we have to have some sort of agility with how we manage rotations intra-match? With the game on the line, pre-planned workload management for our most important player should surely be a secondary concern - there has to be some margin for discretionary effort built into the plan, surely?
It doesn't sound like it was planned that well, you'd certainly want him there especially in that last 3 minutes when they were coming hard

On the plus side it shows how good that backline is that it could hold those last few critical minutes without him on the ground.

Melbourne v Collingwood
8 Jordan De Goey (COLL)
8 Scott Pendlebury (COLL)
8 Brayden Maynard (COLL)
2 Luke Jackson (MELB)
2 Darcy Cameron (COLL)
2 Christian Petracca (MELB)

5/3, 3/5, 4/4 (unknown which) - DeGoey, Pendlebury, Maynard

Seems the coaches couldn't split these three either.

2/0, 0/2, 1/1 (unknown which) - Jackson, Cameron, Petracca

Wasn't expecting Petracca to get votes. If a Melbourne mid was to get votes I'd have Oliver ahead.

have a feeling we will be very flat for rest of year... and maybe into next. Lot of emotion today that wont be replicated for quite a while.

Plus the uncertainty of whats ahead.

Need a quality person to come in if theyre going to win this playing group over. As well as making elite decisions about the makeup of this team, its development, and how we play going forward...

That was our Grand Final in 2021

Just reached out to a long-suffering Dee supporter who's doing it tough in lockdown in Melbourne at the moment.

I told him that I was a little worried about his well-being after yesterday's QB epic at its traditional SCG home. I asked him if his heart is still beating true for the red and the blue, or is there a risk of Arrhythmia ? ;)

5/3, 3/5, 4/4 (unknown which) - DeGoey, Pendlebury, Maynard

Seems the coaches couldn't split these three either.

2/0, 0/2, 1/1 (unknown which) - Jackson, Cameron, Petracca

Wasn't expecting Petracca to get votes. If a Melbourne mid was to get votes I'd have Oliver ahead.

I rate Trac and Oliver very highly but thought they were both pretty ordinary yesterday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd love to hear some insights about why goodwin changed the melb gameplan for the game. I've been used to see them being more aggressive with run etc.
Bucks’ game plan was better.

Needs to do way more simple things well, but it definitely was a step in the right direction.
Still flashed through too often putting himself out of contests, but it was a big step. Once he realises all he's got to do with his power is hit the footy and then dish off, he'll be awesome.

Agreed.

Gotta love Fox footy.

For months it's been all about sacking Bucks. Now they got their man it's all about how GC and GWS should be chasing Bucks to coach them. fu**in parasites.
You make it sound like bigfooty posts caused Buck's sacking whereas the decision to let him go was made by club insiders and Graham Wright. If anything, bigfooty posters calling for a change of coach were on the money, because that is exactly what happened independent of opinions on our forum. People want success for the footy team and the prevailing opinion was that Bucks was not going to provide it.

I said before the game that a win against Melbourne was going to create its own problems and that is what has happened, with people questioning now why we sacked a winning coach. But blaming bigfooty posters for the loss of Buckley is nonsensical. What you can criticise is people who were abusive or disrespectful towards him. However, I think the majority of people who called for a change of coach are very sad to see him go.

Last edited:
So true

At the ground, you can better judge speed, repeat efforts, and 1 per centers

In the third quarter, Daicos quickly manned the mark, leapt high with his arm outstretched, crowding the kicker

The Melbourne player hesitated then kicked down the line

Daicos had slowed the game by a couple of seconds

This was enough for our backs to cover

This form of pressure, when consistent, makes the opposition feel hunted

So, hope you don’t mind me being serious for a moment …

… but I really do wonder why players standing the mark for a set shot on goal don’t floss dance. Is totally compliant with the “stand” rule. Surely it would be very effective at putting the player off their kick. Would also provide a bit of fun for the crowd …

1623744086781.gif

Maybe even pipe some music to go along with it. Better than ‘Sweet Caroline’ surely?

… anyway, back that’s enough of being serious. Normal transmission is resumed …

Last edited:
So, hope you don’t mind me being serious for a moment …

… but I really do wonder why players standing the mark for a set shot on goal don’t floss dance. Is totally compliant with the “stand” rule. Surely it would be very effective at putting the player off their kick. Would also provide a bit of fun for the crowd …

View attachment 1155927

Maybe evn pupe some music to go along with it. Better than ‘Sweet Caroline’ surely?

… anyway, back that’s enough of being serious. Normal transmission is resumed …

4KM.gif

Id love our boys to do this on the mark

Bucks’ game plan was better.

sorry jmac, i know you're hurting. i'm just frustrated about this game plan thing.

we know bucks had the wrong game plan. That's accepted. But did he change it recently? Some people say no, others say yes. You would have thought that GW might have advised him to change it a lot earlier in the season. Some might say that he was letting buckley run the show, but that's a bit nasty if he gets bucks sacked midseason...

and then there's goodwin. Did he change his game plan? That would explain buckley winning because we know buckley's defensive gameplan was never going to beat anyone. But why would goodwin change his gameplan?

I'm used to old style football when players used to have a large say in who won a game. I know these days the coach's game plan is the biggest thing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Round 13 (Pies win, farewell Bucks)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back